: Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved)

joelrobison
04-04-11, 10:56 AM
Hello all!

Some of you may remember me posting before about vibrations in my 2004 CTS-V. and I am here to tell you that it has all worked out!

The problem was the dual-mass flywheel, I removed it and replaced it with a 28LB monster clutch (stage 2) and flywheel setup (was supposed to be the 18lb but there were issues on the ordering side). After replacing the flywheel, NO MORE VIBRATION and NO MORE CLICKING/SLAPPING NOISE AT WARM IDLE.

After removing the old flywheel I measured the deflection from the engine side to the "sponge" side of the flywheel at about 1/4 inch!! and it also slapped pretty freely in the rotating direction as well.

This has been a long battle with a great ending, thanks to the people at gforce1320 and Monster for such great products!

I also want to list various dealer responses to this problem, I spent nearly as much on diagnostics as the new clutch and flywheel before I did this myself:

Chevy of Issaquah:
* Piston slap
* "It has a bit of a cam in it"
* "Thats normal for that car"

Good Chev:
* Engine Mounts are bad (this is true actually, they are the next project but obviously not the problem)
I would like to note that someone here did do the best they could to help me out and I would go back here to get service for sure.

Another fellow had mentioned that the balancer had gone bad, and this was also a good suggestion; but then I bought one and learned that there is no index on the crank for the balancer on this car so it was internally balanced, then came the ah-ha moment when I read that there was a dual-mass flywheel on the car from the factory and I remembered all the issues that came with that from the Diesel world.

I hope that this information is helpful to anyone with similar problems: If you feel a vibration through the gas pedal and it gets worse at freeway speeds in 6th gear when the engine luggs... dont believe anyone who tells you it is normal! that can destroy your bottom end over time.

-Joel

UnsafeAtAnySpd
04-04-11, 01:48 PM
I had the same vibration after replacing my engine mounts with my stock flywheel/clutch. That went away with the new LS9 setup as well as numerous other noises (it sounded like absolute shit in neutral at idle, etc).

Fasciaguy
04-04-11, 02:26 PM
Sounds like a pretty typical story for these cars as mine is an 04 also and heard all the same specualtive diagnosis's.
I also was about to replace the damper pully, when I finally faced the reality that it was probably a lot more work to replace the clutch but my gut was telling me that was the culprit. I also needed motor mounts which sort masks the problem and gave me hope that replacing them would solve the vibration issue. I did replace the MM and to my surprise the vibration got worse. Basically because the solid Urethane mounts were stiffer and holding the engine in place better than the worn out stock ones. So after pleanty of reading on this forum I decided to go with the LS7 clutch through Lindsay Cad. Fixed all the vibration issues and the car is a joy to drive now. However I am afraid that I may have delt with the vibration longer than I should have as now I seem to have a slight oil leak. I havent climbed under to see where its coming from but I pray its not the rear main. With my luck it probably is. So yea for those who experience a vibration (and mine got worse and better throughout the RPM range) get it fixed asap.

DougNuts
04-04-11, 09:11 PM
Nice to know!

Godsmistake103
04-07-11, 01:25 AM
I just got the LS7 clutch with ram 18lb flywheel it definitely reducing the vibrations but i still get em at that 2200 rpms and consistently when i rev the motor at idle. I have a feeling my engine or transmission mount is shot. At first i thought it was the Driveshaft but since its a idle i crossed that off the list.

WesH8398
04-07-11, 06:26 AM
Hmmmm... I too have vibes at 2200 and have posted here about them ever since I got my V last year. Nobody mentioned that it might of been the flywheel. Perhaps it's because I can reproduce the vibes while in neutral and revving. Does the fly spin when the clutch is DISengaged? If so, I think this is my answer as well. Tried 2 sets of CS motor mounts and they seemed to dull the vibes for a while, but they never went away. They seemed to have gotten stronger too.
Yet another reason for the LS7 clutch swap. I just wish money wasnt an issue and I could go ahead with it on a whim.

CadzillaTN
04-07-11, 03:23 PM
I feel a nasty vibration in neutral from 1000-2500rpm even when driving..it feels very orbital, like the driveshaft. I can't recall if I feel it in neutral with the clutch pushed in or not, seems that would eliminate the driveshaft if so.. Firestone says my harmonic balancer is about to fall apart, so that could be the issue.

Regarding clutches, I do want an aftermarket replacement, but I already have a brand new stock clutch. I was going to have the dealer put it in during upcoming trans work, just in case the vibes were due to the current clutch wearing out, but I tried to clean some minor rust off of it and it ended up rusting the damn thing 4 times worse! I guess it's ruined now...

Godsmistake103
04-07-11, 04:05 PM
I had my harmonic balance at the dealer replaced, they said it was coming apart. That initially helped the vibes alot but then they came back. Then i got my clutch replaced with the LS7 kit and RAM 18lb flywheel. Went away then no their back again. The only thing i can think of is either DS, MM, or Trans Mount. It vibes at a stop with the clutch in or out in neutral. And to be honest i can only feel it in gear 3 and up in the pedals and steering wheel once i got some speed going. If its not one of those then im hoping something in the motor isnt unbalance or screwed up. Guess its just time to do process of elimination and see whats left if the vibes dont go away.

Stg1buick
04-20-11, 03:27 PM
I have been dealing with a vibration/rattle since the Throw out bearing and Diff were replaced in February under warranty. The vibration/rattle were not there before. The dealer now says they can't fix it and Cadillac sent me to another dealer under 'Good Will' since the warranty expired while at the first dealer. They are telling me it is the shifter that was modified before I bought the car. I hear the rattle in 6th gear only when I let out of the throttle going into a curve and the vibration again in 6th gear at highway speeds while maintaining a cruise speed. I don't notice either under acceleration. When I hear the rattle, it sounds like it comes from just below the dash in the bell housing area. I'm wondering if the flywheel is the problem or if they misaligned something when replacing the TOB. The mechanic told me he pulled the trans and left the bell housing on the engine. I thought it was the drive shaft except it doesn't do it all the time or another gear. Any thoughts?

Thanks, David

WesH8398
04-20-11, 05:23 PM
If it's the OEM dual mass that's causing this vibration, would it matter whether the clutch pedal was in or out? My particular instance makes no difference. It vibrates at 2200 rpm whether it's in motion or parked and whether the clutch is engaged or not. OP - was yours happening regardless of clutch engagement too?

CadzillaTN
04-20-11, 06:32 PM
Same here Wes.. I got my balancer replaced,vib is still there in neutral with clutch in or not. I can say it gets a 'little' better if I push in the clutch...so it's either the stock turd or the driveshaft as I also feel it while just cruising between 1000 and 1500 rpm...I'm going to press the driveshaft issue until it gets replaced, then if still there I'll do the clutch.

Why do so many people have vibration problems after clutch installs??...

WesH8398
04-26-11, 05:41 AM
Why do so many people have vibration problems after clutch installs??...
I haven't heard very many who have issues AFTER installing a new clutch... Not the LS7 clutches, anyway.

How does one check his harmonic balancer to see if that's the culprit? Also, is there any way to verify that it's the OEM dual mass causing vibes?

darkman
04-26-11, 08:28 AM
I have been dealing with a vibration/rattle since the Throw out bearing and Diff were replaced in February under warranty. The vibration/rattle were not there before. The dealer now says they can't fix it and Cadillac sent me to another dealer under 'Good Will' since the warranty expired while at the first dealer. They are telling me it is the shifter that was modified before I bought the car. I hear the rattle in 6th gear only when I let out of the throttle going into a curve and the vibration again in 6th gear at highway speeds while maintaining a cruise speed. I don't notice either under acceleration. When I hear the rattle, it sounds like it comes from just below the dash in the bell housing area. I'm wondering if the flywheel is the problem or if they misaligned something when replacing the TOB. The mechanic told me he pulled the trans and left the bell housing on the engine. I thought it was the drive shaft except it doesn't do it all the time or another gear. Any thoughts?

Thanks, David

Sixth gear is a known weakness in the Tremec transmission. Ironically, the problem is most likely to occur in vehicles operated conservatively -specifically those drivers that shift into sixth gear early to save fuel etc. actually amplify the problem. The conventional test is to duplicate the speed in fifth gear at which the vibration occurs in sixth gear - if the vibration goes away the problem presumably is sixth gear itself.

Fasciaguy
04-26-11, 01:46 PM
If it's the OEM dual mass that's causing this vibration, would it matter whether the clutch pedal was in or out? My particular instance makes no difference. It vibrates at 2200 rpm whether it's in motion or parked and whether the clutch is engaged or not. OP - was yours happening regardless of clutch engagement too?

No the flywheel spins with the crank and continue to give you vibrations regardless if the clutch is engaged or not. If it when away by engaging the clutch I would say its in your tranmission but not the driveshaft unless the vehicle is moving. So if its RPM related its engine or MM including flywheel, HB. if its speed related its driveshaft/transmission related.

Stg1buick
04-26-11, 02:33 PM
Thanks Darkman. Looking at the service bulletins, that is the second thing after driveshaft that it says to look at. I had no idea that shifting into 6th early would be a culprit. Our '99 Trans Am is geared different but hasn't caused any problems.

David

WesH8398
04-26-11, 03:51 PM
I had no idea that shifting into 6th early would be a culprit.

David

I've read a bunch of theories that acceleration from very low RPM in the taller gears will wreck manual transmissions. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it, but in case it's true I try not accelerate in 5th or 6th from under 1500 rpm. A combination of low speed limits, cruise control, and hills is tricky.

My vibration is 100% engine speed related and 0% related to vehicle speed. I've tried 2 sets of CS MM's and the vibes are still there. If I ever get the $$ saved for the LS7 clutch, I really hope that the new flywheel solves them.

67electro
07-25-11, 03:17 PM
Just broke my mounts in 2 years..

I replaced them yesterday with Ultra Mounts.. got all kinds of vibes, mostly at idle, and sub 1500 rpm.

not CRAZY, kind of feels like driving a boat with the way I feel the engine in my seat.

what about this flywheel.. it says 1997 - 2004 LS1 / LS6 (jegs Part# 555-601260) for 100 bucks.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/601260/10002/-1?parentProductId=1221208

then for a centerforce clutch (Jegs pn 183-381017) for 129.99

http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerforce/183/381017/10002/-1?parentProductId=746179

Centerforce Pressure Plate (Jegs pn# 183-CF3600010) for 255.99

http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerforce/183/CF360010/10002/-1?parentProductId=746179

The clutch and flywheel say they are for 1997-2004 Corvette LS1

Any Thoughts?

CadzillaTN
07-25-11, 06:01 PM
I'm getting a new flywheel under warranty :rolleyes: sometime soon, it's coming from lansing.

I didn't want it (wanted to install a lighter one, but theyll only do gm parts), but of course I'm going to let them just to make sure my transmission isnt jacked up before I say bye bye to the warranty.

Stiffer mounts certainly exacerbate any existing vibrations...

DougNuts
07-26-11, 10:00 AM
I haven't heard very many who have issues AFTER installing a new clutch... Not the LS7 clutches, anyway.

How does one check his harmonic balancer to see if that's the culprit? Also, is there any way to verify that it's the OEM dual mass causing vibes?

I installed LS7 clutch (etc.), new ATI damper and CS motor mounts. None of them changed my 2200rpm vibration at all.

I know my damper was going bad because it was wobbling a little, so no problem there. My clutch/flywheel were probably fine.

The driveshaft shouldn't vibrate at the same RPM in all gears, but I'm just about down to that being the only thing left, except the transmission itself. I plan to hook up my GoPro camera and see if I can catch anything on video while driving the car.

In neutral, my engine is not smooth enough to tell if it's doing the vibration at 2200rpm or not.

GDPossehl
07-26-11, 10:39 AM
So my vibrations at idle go away once off idle. Clutch in, out, neutral, or in gear doesn't matter. It's just when parked at idle that it vibrates. I was thinking it was just the stock motor mounts. Right side was replaced at 37k (now 92k) and neither appear to be leaking.

DM flywheel or motor mounts?

I plan on replacing the clutch with the LS7 setup, but the stock clutch still feels just fine.
I'm thinking I'll replace the motor mounts first, and if that doesn't cure the vibrations then a new (better) flywheel will.

CadzillaTN
07-26-11, 12:33 PM
So my vibrations at idle go away once off idle. Clutch in, out, neutral, or in gear doesn't matter. It's just when parked at idle that it vibrates. I was thinking it was just the stock motor mounts. Right side was replaced at 37k (now 92k) and neither appear to be leaking.

DM flywheel or motor mounts?

I plan on replacing the clutch with the LS7 setup, but the stock clutch still feels just fine.
I'm thinking I'll replace the motor mounts first, and if that doesn't cure the vibrations then a new (better) flywheel will.

Stock mounts usually split/separate at the very top, under the heat shield. You may or may not see signs of leaking.

Be advised, vibrations, if in fact solely due to bad stockers, will only be reduced with new stock mounts,.aftermarket will only increase them as they are all stiffer.

I'll have a new stock flywheel in by next week, will advise if that helps at all (I'm at 67k).

CadzillaTN
07-26-11, 01:01 PM
I installed LS7 clutch (etc.), new ATI damper and CS motor mounts. None of them changed my 2200rpm vibration at all.

I know my damper was going bad because it was wobbling a little, so no problem there. My clutch/flywheel were probably fine.

The driveshaft shouldn't vibrate at the same RPM in all gears, but I'm just about down to that being the only thing left, except the transmission itself. I plan to hook up my GoPro camera and see if I can catch anything on video while driving the car.

In neutral, my engine is not smooth enough to tell if it's doing the vibration at 2200rpm or not.

So do you only have vibration at 2200, or across the rpm spectrum?

DougNuts
07-26-11, 01:45 PM
So do you only have vibration at 2200, or across the rpm spectrum?

Only at 2200rpm 500 or so, every single gear. At least it keeps me under 80mph when cruising on the highway.

Here's a link to my thread about it (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/233329-2100-2350rpm-vibration-fix-eluding-me.html).

67electro
07-26-11, 02:34 PM

Using a camera under the car to find a vibration doesn't work. the sampling rate on a camera isn't high enough to see a vibration of that freqency.. and if it was high enough the actual movement wont be seen, only felt. crazy how things resonate.

AG'S-V
07-26-11, 06:37 PM
All CS mounts (engine, tranny and rear end) and I just put in a LS7 clutch this past weekend.

I get slight vibes all the way to about 3k, seems worse right off idle at 1k-ish...can be replicated revving the engine clutch in or out.

I can deal with them but they are noticeable...I ended up NOT getting the clutch balanced, it might be coming out and getting balanced...this gives me a headache...

CadzillaTN
07-26-11, 07:26 PM
Ugh, what all is involved with that?

Pull fw,c,pp and take them all to be balanced as a unit, then mark/install accordingly?

I always wondered if perhaps when the dealer removed my trans to rebuild 1st gear they didn't put it all back together 'just right' like it came from the factory...

AG'S-V
07-28-11, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure what I'm going to do...vibes are terrible at about 1500 rpm. Actually thinking about taking it out and selling it...either putting the stocker back on or getting another brand that doesn't have vibrations, Monster stage 1 or 2.

67electro
07-28-11, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure what I'm going to do...vibes are terrible at about 1500 rpm. Actually thinking about taking it out and selling it...either putting the stocker back on or getting another brand that doesn't have vibrations, Monster stage 1 or 2.

AG's-V ... did you have the vibrations before the new clutch? if so, where they the exact same? or how where they?

I just changed motor mounts to ultra mounts, now I have gnarly vibes. I don't like em. im sure its the stock flywheel (104,000 miles) and I live in Phoenix Az, nice and hot.

where did you get the ls7 kit? how much did it run?.

AG'S-V
08-01-11, 10:12 AM
I had no vibrations with my stock clutch and the CS mounts, I bought it from Luke at Lindsey for about $700 shipped.

CadzillaTN
08-01-11, 08:23 PM
Got new stock flywheel, vibes are still there. Piece of sh*t.

DougNuts
08-02-11, 12:02 PM
Got new stock flywheel, vibes are still there. Piece of sh*t.

I hate to hear that. I'm not surprised, but I hate that for you.

As mentioned on here, I had the same vibration when I got my car.

Since then, I've replaced the blown motor mounts, the dual-mass flywheel (with LS7 setup) and a wobbly harmonic damper and I STILL HAVE THE VIBRATION!

A few people have said it may be the driveshaft, but I have a hard time understanding how the driveshaft would shimmy at the same RPM in all gears since it's going a different speed each time. I'm not going to spend $1000 on a hunch, I've already been down that road (granted - the balancer and motor mounts needed replaced, the flywheel/clutch probably didn't).

I'm to the point that I'd pay someone $100 cash if they knew 100% what was wrong. I am honestly contemplating selling my car due to this vibration but my wife won't let me. :helpless:

67electro
02-14-12, 12:27 AM
Yeah. I just installed my ls7 clutch setup. 2200 vibes are still there but not as harsh. I think it was resonating in the dual mass flywheel but not caused by it.

gdeemer86
02-27-12, 12:35 PM
Yeah. I just installed my ls7 clutch setup. 2200 vibes are still there but not as harsh. I think it was resonating in the dual mass flywheel but not caused by it.

I swapped my dual mass out with a katech setup twin disc clutch (which I would not recommend because of the kit did not include a clutch alignment tool//customer service basically said to figure it out myself).

It would appear that 95% of the vibration was eliminated. The dual mass had almost flexed almost 3/8" between the 2 surfaces. I DO NOT KNOW the cause of the remaining vibration, but I THINK that you are correct in that the damaged flywheel was the effect not the cause. Maybe from the crankshaft starting to come loose?

67electro
02-27-12, 12:44 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the crankshaft coming loose, if that happened even the slightest bit, it would destroy all the bearings within an hour, your engine would knock horribly, overheat and kick the bucket..
I am thinking the vibration has always been there to some degree, but the stock motor mounts isolated it from the car. once we all got tired of replacing the factory mounts, we put poly mounts in. and now we feel it.

DougNuts
02-28-12, 09:06 AM
The dual mass had almost flexed almost 3/8" between the 2 surfaces.

Are you talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXBz91_dus

I was told this is normal for a new dual mass.

I sure wish someone could figure out the cause of the vibration. It's the #1 issue that makes me contemplate selling a car I love. I still haven't bought a new OEM trans mount yet. I tried to find one online, but all of the GM parts websites were acting strange when I tried to pick that part.

I have been wondering lately if it could have anything to do with the accessory belt tensioner.

Oh5V
02-28-12, 11:31 PM
Are you talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXBz91_dus

I was told this is normal for a new dual mass.

I sure wish someone could figure out the cause of the vibration. It's the #1 issue that makes me contemplate selling a car I love. I still haven't bought a new OEM trans mount yet. I tried to find one online, but all of the GM parts websites were acting strange when I tried to pick that part.

I have been wondering lately if it could have anything to do with the accessory belt tensioner.

I fixed my vibration by getting rid of the dual mass... Here's a pic of mine... The one side basically "collapsed " in on itself and the clutch side ended up being tilted. I had zero play trying to spin it like in the youtube vid you linked to.

(notice approx 3/8" gap at top, and no gap at the bottom)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/2012-02-13141050.jpg

CadzillaTN
02-29-12, 12:04 AM
You're flywheel was truly fubar. I can see how you improved things so much by ditching it. I think we have another issue going on here..

I had a brand new stock flywheel in my hands and it rocked back and fourth a good 1/2 inch.

I really think it's the mounts. Does anyone that has done a clutch swap and still have vibes have stock mounts? If I can get my hands on a new set, I'll switch them in just to see if things improve...Id also like to find a low mile stock V and see just how smooth it is. Maybe my perception of how smooth it should be is unrealistic.

The other thing to remember is that these puppies were balanced to perfection on an assembly line as an entire unit before the body was even on. You can't duplicate that.

I called a professional nascar engine builder local to me and inquired about balancing my new dual mass and he said I needed to pull the entire engine and the flywheel and bring it to him, otherwise forget it as it needed to be done while on the crank of the host engine.

DougNuts
02-29-12, 09:14 AM
Cadzilla,

I ordered a new GM trans mount from Luke yesterday. It's an easy swap, so I should have it installed within a few days of receiving it and I'll be sure to give some feedback. He told me that he stopped selling the UUC trans mount because people were having the same vibration issue I had with the CS part.

gdeemer86
03-02-12, 03:31 PM
I swapped my dual mass out with a katech setup twin disc clutch (which I would not recommend because of the kit did not include a clutch alignment tool//customer service basically said to figure it out myself).

It would appear that 95% of the vibration was eliminated. The dual mass had almost flexed 3/8" between the 2 surfaces. I DO NOT KNOW the cause of the remaining vibration, but I THINK that you are correct in that the damaged flywheel was the effect not the cause. Maybe from the crankshaft starting to come loose?

so, it has been a week since the install. I would say, subjectively speaking, that the all of the previous vibration has now returned. The previous owner swapped out the stock motor mounts with yellow ones (I assume UUC), and the engine appears to have no movement under engine acceleration.

from reading your posts it looks like my flywheel may not have been the wiggling as bad as I thought. It was not moving to the extent that some of the other posts were showing.

I am curious to hear how the transmission mount swap goes...

I did notice on a parts website that the car appears to have "a vibration damper" (http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/mechanical/NLP045.gif) listed as part #27.

I should caveat that the site looks pretty generic and i have not had a chance to look deeply in the GMP repair manual as it was only delivered last week.

WesH8398
03-02-12, 07:06 PM
My trans mount swap from saggy OEM to Creative Steel's "soft" black mount unfortunately didn't help my vibration situation at all. I also have the CS grey motor mounts installed; they didn't remedy the vibes either. :(

darkman
03-02-12, 08:20 PM
Some vibration information here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/220606-troubleshooting-guide-vibrations.html

ls6cadillac
03-02-12, 10:47 PM
My motor mounts are worn. I can see fluid coming out of them. Should I replace them with the CS ones or go with stock? Im not getting any vibrations now but will the CS mounts make vibrations more noticable?

darkman
03-02-12, 10:53 PM
If you are getting reasonable mileage out of the stockers and/or don't mind periodic replacement I would stay with them. Some folks would have to replace the oem units too frequently and therefore, must assume the risk of vibration/noise.

ls6cadillac
03-02-12, 11:13 PM
I got 50k out of them. Replacing them doesnt look to bad especially since I have acces to a lift at work. Thanks for the advice

CadzillaTN
03-03-12, 01:27 AM
My motor mounts are worn. I can see fluid coming out of them. Should I replace them with the CS ones or go with stock? Im not getting any vibrations now but will the CS mounts make vibrations more noticable?

All aftermarket mounts will introduce more vibrations as they physically 'connect' the car with the engine more than the stockers. How much more is hard to measure but factually, they do to some extent. Real world impact seems to be different with everyone based on expectations and/or tolerance to added nvh...

----------

Cadzilla,

I ordered a new GM trans mount from Luke yesterday. It's an easy swap, so I should have it installed within a few days of receiving it and I'll be sure to give some feedback. He told me that he stopped selling the UUC trans mount because people were having the same vibration issue I had with the CS part.

nice, let us know how it goes..

I think I am going to source a set of new motor mounts and see if that helps with the vibes. I know it will to some extent but not sure exactly how much. If I can find a set cheap I'll try it. Mine are basically new but I filled them with poly/epoxy, and they are very firm. They are great for the added throttle response, and still in perfect condition, but I'd give that back for less vibration. The new stock clutch I put in feels so much better than the one I removed at 67k, I feel I can give some back with the mounts.

Bueller
03-04-12, 09:10 AM
I have CS mounts and I did get more vibes with it and they are RPM specific.

I am installing a new LS7 clutch, flywheel and slave from Luke. I got instructions from a forum member and he said if I didn't get a spacer then I need to do the adjustment to the flywheel where you depress the finger springs and rotate the stepped adjuster until the 3 springs collapse. He did say he had an aftermarket flywheel. Is this adjustment needed on an 04 with the LS7 kit?

67electro
03-04-12, 09:33 AM
the LS7 kit is a direct bolt in as long as it comes with the new slave cylinder. I ordered mine from Luke as well. the only thing weird that no one talked about that I discovered was the hydrolic line that runs to the ls7 slave is Longer then the stock ls6 slave..
I gave Luke a call and he said yeah you just need to bend it around to take up the slack. there is no such adjustment that you speak up on these.. the ls7 slave is longer to take up the room that the old ls6 Thick heavy turd took up.

darkman
03-04-12, 10:39 AM
I have CS mounts and I did get more vibes with it and they are RPM specific.

I am installing a new LS7 clutch, flywheel and slave from Luke. I got instructions from a forum member and he said if I didn't get a spacer then I need to do the adjustment to the flywheel where you depress the finger springs and rotate the stepped adjuster until the 3 springs collapse. He did say he had an aftermarket flywheel. Is this adjustment needed on an 04 with the LS7 kit?

the LS7 kit is a direct bolt in as long as it comes with the new slave cylinder. I ordered mine from Luke as well. the only thing weird that no one talked about that I discovered was the hydrolic line that runs to the ls7 slave is Longer then the stock ls6 slave..
I gave Luke a call and he said yeah you just need to bend it around to take up the slack. there is no such adjustment that you speak up on these.. the ls7 slave is longer to take up the room that the old ls6 Thick heavy turd took up.

See attached - it relates to the stock pressure plate - it may,or may not, be relevant here.

Bueller
03-04-12, 11:40 AM
Those same instructions are in the corvette manual too which is why this question comes up.

Question is:
When you install a new LS7 slave, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate in an 05 V, is this ^^^ adjustment necessary, or is that to adjust for a worn clutch. Is everyone doing this adjustment with the LS7 swap or is nobody doing it.

CadzillaTN
03-05-12, 04:01 AM
not sure if this means anything in relation to vibration, but I found it interesting that when I removed the bolts that hold the driveshaft to the transmission (3 on the shaft side, 3 on the trans side), that 4 were one length and 2 were another... I marked them, and the 2 shorter ones came off the shaft side along with one longer. Does this mean along the way a tech lost one of my bolts and replaced it with possibly the wrong one? More importantly, would this even cause a vibration? They all seemed to hold with room to spare on the threads...but wondering if just that tiny difference could affect things.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/memphisctsv/IMG_6445.jpg

DougNuts
03-18-12, 11:06 PM
I finally got around to installing a new factory transmission mount today. So far I can say it was a big improvement and I hope it stays like this because I'll be happy.

You can see in the pictures that the one on the car was kind of compressed.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/DougNuts/d913c897.jpg

CadzillaTN
03-19-12, 01:43 AM
Nice...hopefully it's a real improvement and not a placebo. What did the new stock mount cost?

Mine sagged like that when it was in, but shaped back up to the 'new' position on the right when removed.. I filled the void with 3m window weld hoping it would maintain stock height when reinstalled.

I think I'm going to drill some of it out and see how it feels, then if no improvement just put a new one in..

I think the key is the most support with the least contact...

I still think new stock mounts are the key. I need to find a cheap (new) pair, or one more used (but not busted) one to go with the used one I have, and swap them in just to see if that helps.

JFensty
03-19-12, 08:17 AM
I find it odd there are so many people with this exact vibration, myself included. Could it be a balance shaft in the trans. I just swapped in UMI motor mounts and ls7 clutch and flywheel, but really I could feel this vibration before changing anything. Could it be a common harmonic with these ls motors?

DougNuts
03-19-12, 10:44 AM
Nice...hopefully it's a real improvement and not a placebo. What did the new stock mount cost?

I think I paid around $150 or so from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. I bought some other stuff too (spare tire stuff), so I'm not sure what the mount by itself cost.

I'm also worried about the placebo affect, so I'll be sure to report back after ~1000 miles.

My guess is that when my motor mounts were wiped out, it put excessive load on the trans mount. When I drove the car yesterday, I could tell when the vibration was occurring, but I couldn't feel it in the car anymore. I also wonder if there is something on the input side of the trans or in the engine's tune that causes the vibration

DougNuts
07-09-13, 02:31 PM
Well, I've put around 7k miles or so on the car since my last post. Everything was good until recently, when I installed the RevShift transmission mount insert and I have the same bad vibes between 1k and 2k RPM as I had after a few days of running the Creative Steel transmission mount.

I have come to the surprising conclusion that GM knew what they were doing with the factory mounts and I recently bought a set of stock motor mounts from RockAuto. I just wish I knew where all of this vibration was coming from.....but I guess it's inherent in the design.

MotorMounts
07-09-13, 10:49 PM
How long ago did you get the trans mount from us? I know that it's been awhile. We've made some changes to the internals, the new ones mimic the OEM trans mount, they have more urethane but a tad softer durometer than the OEM mounts. If you're willing to do the work I'll send you a mount to test. This sounds to be a good first, second, and third test scenario.

DougNuts
07-10-13, 09:49 AM
How long ago did you get the trans mount from us? I know that it's been awhile. We've made some changes to the internals, the new ones mimic the OEM trans mount, they have more urethane but a tad softer durometer than the OEM mounts. If you're willing to do the work I'll send you a mount to test. This sounds to be a good first, second, and third test scenario.

Hello Max, I purchased the mount from you guys on August 15th, 2011. I would definitely be willing to test the new mount and give feedback. My original order # was 10129.

67electro
07-10-13, 02:01 PM
yeah, I have about 10k on my ls7 flywheel, running CS mounts and trans mount..
I have some vibes, but I totally got used to it.
the ls6 engine just has some shake to it... no way around it except cushy mounts.
I think my cs mounts have softened a little too because the vibes have improved.. I don't think I am just getting used to it completely.

-John

Heavybody
07-12-13, 10:37 PM
Hello all!

Some of you may remember me posting before about vibrations in my 2004 CTS-V. and I am here to tell you that it has all worked out!

The problem was the dual-mass flywheel, I removed it and replaced it with a 28LB monster clutch (stage 2) and flywheel setup (was supposed to be the 18lb but there were issues on the ordering side). After replacing the flywheel, NO MORE VIBRATION and NO MORE CLICKING/SLAPPING NOISE AT WARM IDLE.

After removing the old flywheel I measured the deflection from the engine side to the "sponge" side of the flywheel at about 1/4 inch!! and it also slapped pretty freely in the rotating direction as well.

This has been a long battle with a great ending, thanks to the people at gforce1320 and Monster for such great products!

I also want to list various dealer responses to this problem, I spent nearly as much on diagnostics as the new clutch and flywheel before I did this myself:

Chevy of Issaquah:
* Piston slap
* "It has a bit of a cam in it"
* "Thats normal for that car"

Good Chev:
* Engine Mounts are bad (this is true actually, they are the next project but obviously not the problem)
I would like to note that someone here did do the best they could to help me out and I would go back here to get service for sure.

Another fellow had mentioned that the balancer had gone bad, and this was also a good suggestion; but then I bought one and learned that there is no index on the crank for the balancer on this car so it was internally balanced, then came the ah-ha moment when I read that there was a dual-mass flywheel on the car from the factory and I remembered all the issues that came with that from the Diesel world.
One
I hope that this information is helpful to anyone with similar problems: If you feel a vibration through the gas pedal and it gets worse at freeway speeds in 6th gear when the engine luggs... dont believe anyone who tells you it is normal! that can destroy your bottom end over time.

-Joel

After reading this thread several times I think we are missing one key element the OP installed a monster clutch & flywheel... Not sure if the vibrations returned or not but maybe that makes a difference... Most other posters did the ls7 kit...

My car has the vibe at times 2004 71000 mi stock fly wheel CS motor and trans mounts but I also have herky jerky play in the driveline that feels like it could be the flywheel to me... It can jerk the whole car back and forth when you have a less than ideal clutch engagement or sometimes backing off the throttle give the same feel.

I'm looking to replace the clutch and flywheel for that reason and the reported performance improvement over the stock dual mass

Any thoughts?