: Sold the 98 Deville, bought a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP!

phroadrick
04-03-11, 09:49 PM
Hello again everyone. My 1998 Deville cut off on me one too many times. Previous owner spent over $3k trying to fix it before he said the heck with it and traded it. I bought it, thinking, "I can fix it". Ummm, no. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and thought that fixed it. Nope. Found a broken ring terminal ground under the back seat and thought that was it. Nope. Sunday, January 3rd, it cut off on me as I was pulling into Lowes and I almost hit a parked car due to the loss of steering and brakes.

Done. Final straw. Told myself the next nice car that got traded in at work (GM dealer) I was buying. Wasn't expecting it to happen the very next day. Customer traded in a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP with 66k miles. One owner, dealer serviced its whole life (our dealership) and oh, those cars have the Northstar! Needless to say, I bought it on the spot (after a short test drive and a chat with the previous owner)

So I guess you guys are kind of stuck with me!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/palmettosunshine/bonneville002.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/palmettosunshine/bonneville003.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/palmettosunshine/bonneville010.jpg

Jesda
04-03-11, 10:16 PM
Nice! I love the sheen and sparkle of the white paint

Stingroo
04-03-11, 11:04 PM
That's a damn good looking car.

I'm starting to really like these GXP's.... uh oh.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

ben.gators
04-03-11, 11:50 PM
Nice nice.... This is the second Bonneville in this forum I guess. Another forum member from Canada jut bought a Bonneville too. Nice sporty cars. And a review about the car and how and how much much it differs from a Deville would be very wonderful! :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-03-11, 11:56 PM
Nice man! I love that pearl white paint.

Aron9000
04-04-11, 02:32 AM
That's a really sharp looking car until you open the door and the dash rapes your eyeballs.:bonkers:

phroadrick
04-04-11, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone! Stingroo, I hunt in a baited field (car salesman at a Buick, GMC dealer that was a former Pontiac dealer) so you REALLY don't want to know the answer to that question. Suffice to say I got a very good deal.

Ben.gators, its a completely different class of vehicle in my mind. The Pontiac is a "sport" sedan with a Cadillac motor. It's loud, it's crass, its raspy and it's absolutely delightful. Very solid handling, GREAT steering feel, wonderfully crisp acceleration; these are just a few of the attributes. On the downside, build quality is so-so at best. The exterior cladding is starting to separate at the seams and whoever designed the trunk joints and seams should be shot. Seriously, I think my 4 year old son could do better at sealing body panel seams in the rear (with a glue stick, in the dark while woozy on cough syrup) than the geniuses on the assembly line at GM. I mean I could see daylight through some of the seams in the trunk.....

Aron9000, I'm not sure "rape" is the term I would use. I think "vigorously assaulting the ocular input receptors" would be more appropriate. More gold chain, open shirt, loud cologne, bad manners instead of chloroform cloth in an alley. But that's just my opinion.

Enjoy!

ben.gators
04-05-11, 12:34 AM
^
Would you please upload some pictures from inside of the car whenever you can? After all of these comments about interior I am curious to see how it is!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-05-11, 12:41 AM
I wonder how it stacks up to a 98-03 STS in terms of "fun to drive" and responsiveness/sportiness...?

slowstang305
04-05-11, 09:55 AM
I love the color, its got something that really makes it stand out

temptingf8
04-05-11, 08:58 PM
Hey now, another GXP owner! :D

I was immediately sold on the handling and performance. And the stock exhaust sounds fantastic! It's kind of odd though, it has the 3.71 gears from the L37 yet is coupled to the LD8. I have yet to drive an STS, but I would hedge my bets on the GXP being more fun to drive. It's lighter, has definitely firmer suspension (FE5) that some can describe as TOO firm, and paired with a good set of 235/50/18 tires, it's quite good. It's not nearly as quiet or refined or as well put together as the Caddy, but the two cars serve different purposes.

Interior is probably the low spot in this car. I came from another Bonneville (a 95 SSEi) so it's not quite as much of a shock, but there is still a ton of tacky plastic and buttons everywhere. Here's a press photo:
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Pontiac-Bonneville_GXP_2004_1024x768_wallpaper_11.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-05-11, 10:25 PM
FE-5 huh? I didn't know the FE system went that high!

william12
04-06-11, 06:28 AM
I too loved the style and color of the car.Its so stylish.