: E~85

gOt BoOsT
04-03-11, 09:11 PM
It doesnt seem like anyone has done an e85 conversion on their v yet...is there a reason? Benifits of running ethanol are huge with forced induction especially:thumbsup:

BeagleBrains
04-03-11, 09:58 PM
Corvette racing uses E85. The Racing Administrators permit them to run a larger volume fuel tank to compensate for the reduced energy from E85 fuel in order for Corvettes to be able to make it around the track. Much lower mileage capabilities!
Where is the gain? It's just a political statement.

musclesbmf
04-03-11, 10:17 PM
Z06 guys running crazy compression with E85 and getting awesome numbers. Check out Quality Motorsports for info. Carlos is a "mad scientist" with it.
So the benefit would be higher compression which equals more power.

Mark

gOt BoOsT
04-03-11, 11:20 PM
benifits are higher octane for less $, more timing, more boost and cooler egt's! it cleans the sh!t out of fuel systems and pistons too! mileage goes down, but who drives performance cars for the mileage lol

neuronbob
04-03-11, 11:42 PM
E85 is stupid for daily drivers due to terrible mileage. It's just a dumb political statement for politicians on both sides of the aisle who should really know better. Things are different on the racetrack but that's not where most of us spend our time.

Sorry, just venting.

baabootoo
04-04-11, 01:55 AM
The reason? My guess is they they don't want to spend thousands more.......... That's mine anyway. :)

translux
04-04-11, 02:48 AM
I had an Mits Evo 8 time attack car that was set up for e85 and it made way more power than on pump gas somewhere around 30% more. Close to what were getting from 100+ octane for a fraction of the cost.
Biggest challenge is swapping the rubber in the fuel system to something that will not break down front the e85.
I live in the Midwest so it's everywhere.

Cub Cadet
04-04-11, 11:28 AM
Z06 guys running crazy compression with E85 and getting awesome numbers. Check out Quality Motorsports for info. Carlos is a "mad scientist" with it.
So the benefit would be higher compression which equals more power.

Mark

I do not think that higher compression will work well on a forced induction car. Generally, you want lower compression for higher boost levels.

gnxs
04-04-11, 01:47 PM
You'll be visiting a gas station nearly everyday with the massive fuel volumes of E85 required and smallish fuel tank and mileage on the "V". While the car would definitely have far more power potential than pump gas. There are quite a few downsides to running E85 that an average street car type user needs to consider.

For a guy that spends most of their time at the track the benefits would be more relevant I guess. Where I live outside of Chicago E85 is fairly easy to get, but 100 octane fuel isn't too hard to find either.

I was considering it for my Cobra this year, but after a combination of a) discussions with Jesse, b) the inconsistency of E85 (the actual %'s of ethanol) at the pump and c) the negative experiences of a few friends that have converted and tuned their Cobras on E85......I've decided to tune it for 100 octane instead.

Hopefully somebody will blaze the CTS-V E85 trail and report their real-world results. :thumbsup:

gOt BoOsT
04-05-11, 08:46 PM
we run content analyzers to be sure of the %. looks like im gonna have to make believers out of everyone:lildevil:

whisler151
04-05-11, 10:11 PM
we run content analyzers to be sure of the %. looks like im gonna have to make believers out of everyone:lildevil:

We all know E85 will make more power. If it were a dedicated track car or weekend ride that would be one thing, but most guys daily drive their Vs and dont want to spend every other day at the gas pump if they can find one. I dont know how available E85 is to most of America, but here in Dallas i'd be screwed if I ran on E85, i've not seen one place that sells it. I think there is one 55 miles north of where I live, but never driven there to check.

If E85 is abundant where you are then by all means convert your V to it. Did you recently sell your Evo for a V?

JimmyH
04-05-11, 10:40 PM
I have never had a car that runs it, but a guy at work has an Explorer, and he gets better mileage with E85.

If you search in the first gen V forum, there were a couple guys who did an E85 conversion. I don't remember everything involved, but I know it required different injectors.

gOt BoOsT
04-05-11, 11:50 PM
here in california (sacramento & bay area especially) e85 is readily available at most stations. generally a "basic conversion" to e85 requires larger injectors, larger fuel pump and a retune. im torn between keeping the evo, parting it out and trading it in or selling it as is. no matter the choice ill be ordering a '11 sedan soon!

gnxs
04-06-11, 11:35 AM
I'm not a disbeliever in the power potential, but it's not practical for the way I (and many others) use their cars. I have a whole fuel system waiting to go on my Cobra that was spec'd out with E-85 in mind. I was going to incorporate an analyzer (like on the flex vehicles) right into the fuel system. The killer for me was the experience some of my friends had with E85 on their cars. They made great power for their combos, but were constantly fueling up and running into other driveability type issues I wouldn't want to live with for my Caddy. One of my friends is actually going to run E98 in his car this Summer. We'll see how that works out for him.

Like I said before there's no doubt you'll make more power (even in my Cobra where I'm already tuned for 100 octane), the downsides just outweight the upsides.....FOR ME.

Good luck with your project, I look forward to your results. :thumbsup:

wait4me
04-06-11, 03:08 PM
Dont forget that it might kill your cats due to alot hotter cat operating temperatures as well.

Also with water contamination you are going to be hurting parts, and increased engine wear.

Also do a search for "formic acid e85" It pops up some info.

When the gov mandates E20 it will be causing all sorts of issues. Cats failing are one of them.