: Warranty replacement engines in the 1970s

intragration
04-03-11, 06:18 PM
This is more wondering out loud than anything else. I'm wondering about what happened when 472s and 500s were replaced under warranty back in the '70s. I can't imagine it happened very often, but it must have happened on some occasions. What were they replaced with? I had read somewhere that a 472 car had the engine replaced under warranty with a 500. There are no facts to back this up. Could/did this ever happen? Since there were differences between '68-'69, '70, and '71-up, would they have stocked year-specific motors, or was there a generic motor that would have been swapped in if necessary? Also, how were warranty motors marked, and what was in the location of the normal VIN identification? Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

jayoldschool
04-03-11, 09:11 PM
I believe warranty engines have the prefix CE. I know this is a fact for 60s/70s Chevys. Not sure on the specs. I suppose it would depend on if it were new or reman. Mom's 84 FWB got a replacement 4100 at the local dealer in the early 90s. It wasn't new, it was GM remanufactured.