: illuminated entry issues

cadillac kevin
04-02-11, 11:35 PM
I found out my car has lightbulbs above the front door handles. hiow do I change them. I can't seem to figure out how to get to the bulb (I have the door apart and have followed the wires, but can't figure out how to reach the bulb itself. the factory service manula does not cover what size or how to replace these lightbulbs.

also, is it possible to redo the fiber optic lines or backlight the fiberotpic keyholes or electroluminescent lights. my fiberoptic wires don't transmit much light (the lights they power look like nightlights more than anything else)

brougham
04-03-11, 12:23 AM
You lost me with the lights over the door handles. The fiberoptics don't wear out. Either the end is covered in something like overspray or it's kinked somewhere. They're not super bright to begin with.

GMAN12
04-03-11, 09:09 AM
I used to work at Cadillacs as FB repair and had to fix these. If I remember right the bulb is behind the kick panel on each side, if the fiber optic is damaged, there is not much you can do to fix, just replace if you can. We used to try to patch the fiber optic and never had no luck. You might try putting a brighter bulb in the socket, that used to help. Hope this helps.
I just looked in my parts supply and I have 2 sets of brand new locks with keys, one set has glovebox lock, the other just has door locks, I don't know what year but one set has a "B" key & one set has a "D" key. I could post a pic. The fiber optic is crimped into the lock. I have a boat load of old Caddy parts.

csbuckn
04-03-11, 09:56 AM
I'm still lost on what lights you're talking about...

GMAN12
04-03-11, 10:09 AM
if I remember right, some caddy's had a ring around the front dr. locks that when you pushed the door handle button, the int. lights and that ring would light up. Other Caddys had a little plastic lens under the door handle button that would light and illuminate the key hole. Man, it's been a long time.

jayoldschool
04-03-11, 02:27 PM
He's not talking about the outside illumination, I think he means the little light that is above the inside door handle ;)

cadillac kevin
04-04-11, 12:34 AM
I heard that there was a light in the outside door handle button itself that shined down on the keyhole (maybe this was only on older caddys) and I see 2 wires going to the door handle button (when the interior door panel is removed) the wires are orange and white.
edit: did a ton of post searching here and found out those wires are for activating the illuminated entry, not for a light bulb. mine only has the fiberoptic ring around the lock (which doesnt work too well)

@ GMAN,
thats part of what I was asking about. I found the fiberoptic lines that go from the interior door lights to the keyhole ring and they look ok (no kinks/ breaks, etc.) I guess I'll try brighter bulbs (although mine are crazy bright already). do you know what output bulbs I should try? I don't want to catch anything on fire.
can I try moving the fiberoptic line closer to the bulb (instead of just sitting in the corner of the interior door light housing?)

also, my passenger side front door handle does not activate the illuminated entry system. is this because of the door button switch or the illuminated entry timer?

GMAN12
04-04-11, 08:37 AM
Maybe moving the fiber optic closer to the bulb in the door lite will help. Older Caddys had a bulb in a socket behind the kickpad, then it was changed to the door lite. As for your pass. side door, trace the orange and white wires and make sure the cann. are all tight.

cadillac kevin
04-06-11, 12:30 AM
^tried moving the fiber optic closer- drivers side lights fine now.
pass. side has broken (and semi glued together) fiber optic line. guess I'll have to replace it.
door button on pass door wiggles and creaks (like its rubbing) and doesnt have as much spring as the other 3 door buttons, so I'm guessing it needs to be replaced.

DopeStar 156
04-07-11, 02:47 AM
He's not crazy, these were optional on my '76. I have demo pics in my '76 brochure.....

cadillac kevin
04-07-11, 01:18 PM
how do I remove the fiber optic line from the lock? is it even possible?
if not, how can I figure out what lock cylinder I have so I can get another one?

GMAN12
04-07-11, 02:36 PM
I have 2 new sets on my desk in front of me. One set has a "D" key, and the other set has a "B" key, this set also has a glove box tumbler that hasn't been cut. On the bracket there is a # B8115 and the other side has aB8114, The #5 & #4 are probably Right hand and left hand. I tried to look up them # on GM parts with no luck as to what year they are. I doubt very much if you can replace just the fiber optics as they are staked (crimped) in the locks. Here is a pic of what I have, These are brand new.

brougham
04-07-11, 09:01 PM
He's not talking about the outside illumination, I think he means the little light that is above the inside door handle ;)

huh?