: 2 questions about cruise control....

Night Wolf
10-06-04, 08:26 PM
Sicne i bought eh '79 the curise acts funny....

... if I am driving, and turn it on, then set... it'll slowly put the pedal to the floor... just keep saccelerating, if I hit coast or accel.. it still does... I either hav to turn it off, or hit the brake... I was thinking it might be a bad vaccum line? I saw one that looked loose, so I took it off, and drove, and the cruise didn't work at all, so i put it back on.. same thing... anyone have an idea?

Also, I noticed on the '79 there are 2 modes of cruise "auto" and "cruise" I tried many times to read and understand it in the manual... but I don't understand it... what is the difference between these 2 modes.. and why did they do away with 1 of the modes? (sicne today it is on or off.. no modes)

Thanks

brougham
10-06-04, 09:51 PM
Don't know what's wrong with it but there usually are 2 cruise control lights. One is always on when the cruise control switch is turned on and the other light only goes on when you press the set button and it's doing something.

Night Wolf
10-06-04, 10:26 PM
yeah....

but there are 2 *modes*...

...the switch on the dash has 3 positions.. off, auto and cruise... I don't know what the diffrence between auto and cruise are...

Ralph
10-06-04, 10:42 PM
yeah....

but there are 2 *modes*...

...the switch on the dash has 3 positions.. off, auto and cruise... I don't know what the diffrence between auto and cruise are...

Maybe AUTO is like RESUME? Or maybe you got that distance sensing radar cruise like the XLR? :p

7.0,hellyeah
10-08-04, 03:43 PM
I was interested in finding out where the cruise controll is located under the hood. Is it that thing on top of the valve cover that is connected to the throttle linkage? Is it easily removed or what? I got those chrome valve covers for my '79 coupe deville and that module covers up the breather hole on the right valve cover. Bit of a problem.

Night Wolf
10-08-04, 06:42 PM
there is a set button and resume/accel switch ont he directinoal... just like the directional that GM has always used... excpet the on/off (and mode) is onthe dash... and head light dimmer is on the floor...

yeah, it is on the left valve cover... it is strange that it is actually mounted on the valve cover... it isn't covering up the breather... if you have the stock air cleaner assembly, the breather is conected by this little plastic box thing... take off the air cleaner, you can't miss it...

7.0,hellyeah
10-08-04, 10:38 PM
It does cover up the aftermarket valve covers though... Is it ok just to take off the cruise control assembly by removing it from the throttle arm assembly and from the valve covers. Will it change anything if I do so? I'd like to slap in a K&N breather in it and just rip out the cruise control(carefully rip)