: Side Mirrors

Zhariak
04-02-11, 06:52 PM
I've made a post before re: something similar. Just looking for some insight...

I've had ALOT of work done to my mirrors on my vehicle. Both have been replaced numerous times (the whole assembly's) under warranty, recently driver side was replaced (out of my wallet) due to it being hit by a vehicle...

My heater on my passenger side mirror hasn't worked for who knows how long, confirmed it 100% not working today (as the driver side melted the ice, turned it into water, and then evaporated it). Passenger side did NOTHING. Still had ice, wasn't touched even after having the side mirror heater on for 20+ minutes with it on and running in the driveway.

I went to remove just the mirror part to check to make sure the heater wires are there, and the reflect layer just flaked right off (it's plastic behind????). When I hit my driver side, it was actually glass which had some thickness to it, and had some type of fluid behind it. For some reason the passenger side just had a very thin "flakey" material doing the reflectiveness, when flaking off had black plastic behind it.

Few questions:

1) How do you properly remove the glass? After I turned it fully to the left, I gently tried to pry off the mirror, and it effin broke??? Are you kidding me? It's supposed to pop off isnt it? I barely used ANY pressure.

2) Is there a chance when they were doing warranty work that they replaced it with an aftermarket mirror (aka why the reflective material flaked off)?

3) I've seen the reflect glass part replaced before, they simply popped it off with their hand and put on a different one, why did it break when I used WAY less pressure then I've witnessed a tech use?

Any help is appreciated. Thnx guys

Zhariak
04-02-11, 07:01 PM
And on a PS note (question 4):

Where can I purchase just the glass to replace? Dealership has mentioned in the past that if anything is wrong with the mirror, they have to re-order the whole assembly since they can't just order the mirror.

I'm not forking out another 1000 bucks just because the glass is pooched.

Can anyone recommend an online site? Also what the part number would be for the passenger side (with the heating element built in if applicable, and the turning signal lights).

Thnx again in advance.

Zhariak
04-18-11, 06:50 PM
Well, even though noone replied, I thought I'd post an update just in case of this happening to anyone else.

Ordered part from GM Parts House. Just received it today, packaged awesome. I WILL be using them again and recommend them.

As for replacement. This mirror is SOOOO hard to take off, and put back on. Take your time if you have to do it, and learn from me, DON'T PULL THE GLASS OFF, instead put palm in center of mirror, and move mirror up :)

That is all.

hcvone
04-19-11, 07:36 AM
I have replaced just the glass mirror part for a customer, he said his kid broke the mirror hitting it with a bat, and the dealership got him just the glass mirror, the hardest part was removing the old pieces, if I remember correctly there were between 3 and 5 push snaps that held the glass section to the backing plate and one electric connection

Zhariak
04-19-11, 08:58 PM
I have replaced just the glass mirror part for a customer, he said his kid broke the mirror hitting it with a bat, and the dealership got him just the glass mirror, the hardest part was removing the old pieces, if I remember correctly there were between 3 and 5 push snaps that held the glass section to the backing plate and one electric connection

There are 5 push snaps, in combination to sticky backing built onto the glass (which makes it extremely difficult). On my mirror, there was two connections, one for turning signal, and one for heater.

The reason I broke it in the first place was trying to check the connections (since the heater didn't work). After I removed the busted one, I grabbed a volt meter and measured 13V when I had the heater for the glass on (which means my old glass was busted)...

I don't know if it's any different in the US, but here I was told you can't just order the glass, you need to order the whole assembly (which is $1100 painted).

darkknight1999
07-02-11, 09:36 AM
Do you have any pictures of what it looks like with out the glass.... I have to swap my pass side glass... and I'm afraid I'm going to break the mirror housing in the process. Or is it the Subaru method? Pull until you think its going to break and then pull harder... lol

Zhariak
07-03-11, 12:09 PM
Do you have any pictures of what it looks like with out the glass.... I have to swap my pass side glass... and I'm afraid I'm going to break the mirror housing in the process. Or is it the Subaru method? Pull until you think its going to break and then pull harder... lol

Whatever you do, DO NOT PULL THE GLASS OFF! hahaha

I'm surprised I didn't update this thread. Trying to pull it is how I broke the glass in the first place....

To remove the glass, use your entire hand and press on the glass. When I say this, I want you to put an even amount of pressure on the entire surface of the glass. You want to press, and move the glass upwards. This will properly release the 4 or 5 clips that are holding it in place, and it will be disconnected from the bracket that holds it.

At this point, simply unplug the wires (one of the connectors is a bitch). Make sure you remember which wires plug in where...

To put it back on, line up the mirror to clips, put it on, and same method as before, apply pressure to the glass and push it down. Mine was easy to take off. But it was a PAIN to get back on. I had to try this over 15 times... Numerous times I thought I had it, but noticed the glass was grinding againt the housing. I finally got it to snap in to place...

Sorry, no pictures.

SouthernCaddy
07-04-11, 10:26 AM
Man, I am glad I have a brand new set of mirrows in my shop incase this ever happens to me... :)