: Warped rotors AGAIN

mcline86
04-02-11, 01:37 PM
When i first bought my car it had warped rotors because they were resurfaced too thin. Got them replaced about 8-9k miles ago, now i am getting a vibration in my steering wheel again when i hit the brakes.......

The only difference is when they were warped before they had to kind of "heat up" before i would get a steering wheel vibration. Now it will vibrate right away.

Just doesnt seem normal to me to have warped rotors so quickly unless they just put some cheap POS rotors on there, especially since i dont track my car or go too crazy on the brakes.:bomb:

rjoffe
04-02-11, 03:53 PM
Well, who replaced the rotors? What kind of rotors did they use? What kind of pads ? What kind of driving do you do ?

ctsv154
04-02-11, 03:56 PM
If they are not brembos, just replace them. I have been in a pinch a few times and had to replace the rotors with some wagner rotors from oriellys and they warped when I bedded the pads in. Freakin worthless junk.

Stepside
04-02-11, 08:16 PM
Are you using ceramic pads? The matrix of the pad could be the problem. Not all ceramic pads are the same and the matrix is usually proprietary.
Are the rotors made in China?
There is a big difference in the quality of the Castings.

mcline86
04-02-11, 09:46 PM
Unfortunately i dont know what brand pads or rotors. When i bought the car they said it had new pads and rotors. Then found out the rotors werent new they were just re-surfaced which caused them to warp. After that the dealership threw on all 4 new rotors. I asked about pads and they said the old pads would be fine.

Looks like its time for new rotors.....cheap a$$ stealership

The Tony Show
04-02-11, 09:49 PM
Believe it or not, you can also warp rotors if you torque the wheels down unevenly. I've seen plenty of cases where a monkey mechanic threw a wheel on and then tightened the lugs with an impact wrench in a circle (instead of tightening them down in a star and then finishing the torque).

mcline86
04-02-11, 09:51 PM
And to answer the question on what kind of driving i do - lots of highway driving. Deff a good ammount of aggresive driving. but nothing too crazy on the brakes....

DougNuts
04-02-11, 11:02 PM
FYI, highway driving and then parking the car before the rotors cool can cause pulsing brakes from pad deposits.

rjoffe
04-03-11, 10:49 AM
Replacing rotors/pads on this car is quite easy, I would call Luke @ Lindsay and have him send you a set of stock rotors and some HPS Pads.

AAIIIC
04-03-11, 04:21 PM
It's almost certainly uneven pad deposits, not warped rotors. Take the rotors off, thoroughly scrub both rotor faces with a 3M Scotchbrite disk on a drill, re-install, bed in pads, done.

ctsv247
04-07-11, 08:54 PM
Make an effort to leave yourself some roll room at stoplights and let the car move a little while waiting for the light to turn. This will more evenly dissipate heat built up on the rotor face and will go a long way towards keeping your rotors happy.

Stopping and holding firm on the brakes is an invitation, especially in the summer, to screw up a set of rotors.

soflarick
04-07-11, 09:53 PM
FYI, highway driving and then parking the car before the rotors cool can cause pulsing brakes from pad deposits.

This is becoming an extension of CC. Methinks the tech will improve.

AAIIIC has the best suggestion before going off and replacing everything. Tony's also correct about making sure all the lugs are properly torqued in the proper pattern.