: Chrome Rims

grilco
04-01-11, 05:39 PM
Took my 2010 DTS premium with 2400 miles to the dealer Wednesday. 2 out of the 4 rims are defective as the chrome is lifting and chipping off rims. Dealer took pics and said they'd get back to me. Can't see why it won't be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. Car is garaged in the winter so wheels are protected from winter salt on the roads. Just wondering if anyone has or had this problem.

_ike_
04-01-11, 06:34 PM
My '07 has the chrome falling off in the corners of the wheels where the metal makes a curve. Maybe the plating doesn't attach good in the corners. I've had other cars where the clearcoat/paint came off where the tire shops clamp down on it to balance the wheels. With your low mileage I don't know why this would happen. Perhaps something too harsh for the plating was used to clean the wheels. If it were my new car I would expect the warranty to cover it.

gngeorge
04-10-11, 11:58 AM
I bought my 07 DTS in 09,6k miles,the chrome was peeling like you descibed when I was buying the car.I showed the dealer my 95 deville chrome wheels which were nice and shiney.I told asked him how is this possible?I told the dealer to swap the wheels with another car.He said no.So I told him no deal.He showed the manager,and the manager showed his boss.He came back and told me they were under warranty,and they were going to order new LUX III wheels.He asked me when do I want to pickup the car,I told him when the new wheels were on the car,then I will drive her home because I didn't want to get jerked around.A short time later I had the car home:bouncy:

grilco
04-10-11, 12:24 PM
Rims are in and will be put on Monday 4/11/11. Dealer stated it was under warranty. I do not use anything harsh as far as cleaners. Just a good car wash and then a coat of 3m car wax on them. Can't see how this would harm them as only 2 out of 4 were bad.

maxxpower
04-11-11, 10:16 PM
I think they have issues. Even my 2006 Performance had 3 of the 4 rims replaced under warranty when it was 1 year old because of the chrome peeling. I must say the replacements have held up well, but I only drive it in the summers so it gets no winter/salt miles.

z06bigbird
04-19-11, 11:24 PM
Another reason to avoid chrome rims on any car. Go with polished alum.

Superjim
04-19-11, 11:55 PM

I have never had a minutes trouble with any of my Chrome wheels...

TulsaVic
04-20-11, 05:32 PM

Put a DTS with the aluminum wheels next to one with chrome, and I'd pick the chrome everytime. Love the ones on my Performance. I've had no issues so far and have used Mr.Clean, Murphy's Oil Soap, Pledge, and Windex on mine at various times.... My '05 300C had chrome clad wheels and while the chrome stayed fine, the aluminum rim that showed exhibited corrosive pitting after only a year. Same corrosion issue for an old Riviera I had with aluminum wheels, once the protective coating got damaged.

As for the peeling, I'm pretty sure someone on this forum brought up a Cadillac SB that addressed that issue, maybe a year ago. However, couldn't locate it using the search function.

STEVEDLUX
05-05-11, 03:16 AM
I Have a 2011 DTS premium and the rough "pitted' spots I have on 3 rims!!! I don't know why? I also garage keep it and it is detailed twice a week so I will be going to the dealer as well to see if these can be replaced! I miss my 2003 DTS chrome wheels they were absolutely flauless!!! I guess they are getting cheap on the Rims and they actually feel like a "plastic" coating over the wheel too??? Good Luck with your dilemma as well!

grilco
05-05-11, 05:53 PM
I Have a 2011 DTS premium and the rough "pitted' spots I have on 3 rims!!! I don't know why? I also garage keep it and it is detailed twice a week so I will be going to the dealer as well to see if these can be replaced! I miss my 2003 DTS chrome wheels they were absolutely flauless!!! I guess they are getting cheap on the Rims and they actually feel like a "plastic" coating over the wheel too??? Good Luck with your dilemma as well!

Stevedlux:

Take it to the dealer and have them replaced as I did. The service manager will take pics and order you new rims. As I previously mentioned I had 2 out of 4 bad and the dealer replaced them with no problem. It's a shame we spend big money on a car that is supposed to be the Standard of the World yet the rims go bad. Makes you wonder. Good luck.

azcaddyguy
11-10-11, 06:48 PM
I am having the same problem. The chrome is peeling off 2 of my rims. I took my 2011 DTS to Coulter Cadillac in Tempe Arizona. I showed him the printout of this thread. I told me the problem was caused by me running into something ( apparently in several places on each rim - LOL) and he would not stand behind the rims. I told him that I hadn't run into anything. I so many words, he said that I was lying. I asked him to read the printout that I brought. He just blew me off and said to "come back tomorrow and see the Service manager". DO NOT deal with Coulter Cadillac in Tempe AZ. They won't stand behind their product.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-11-11, 04:07 PM
Azcaddyguy,
If you would like to send me your complete contact information (name, address, phone number, email address) along with the VIN number, and mileage I would like to check further into this for you.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

azcaddyguy
11-11-11, 08:42 PM
Breanne: I have already contacted Cadillac Customer Service. Thank you for your concern. I'll contact you if I have any further problems.

bill57
11-11-11, 10:30 PM
I had the same problem all the way back in 2002 with my Deville. The chrome plating delaminated and the wheels would not hold air. The car was still under warranty, but my dealer said the wheel problem wasn't covered! That winter, and every winter thereafter, I had to have at least two rims ground and the tires remounted. The problem was so prevalent that the dealer purchased an elaborate grinding machine that moved around the perimeter of the wheel. Those who live in areas where the winters are not as severe as in the Midwest and East never encounter this problem. I'd think that measures would have been taken since 2002 to address this wide spread (in the north) problem.

azcaddyguy
11-29-11, 05:41 PM
Breanne: I've contacted Cadillac and taken my car to the dealer. I've been passed around and have been told "We'll contact you". It's been 3 weeks. So far nothing. What is your email address so I can send you my info?

AEC2007
12-01-11, 10:24 AM
Just had 4 new Michellins installed on my 2007 DTS-1 yesterday. The tire dealer said he couldn't guarantee they wouldn't leak air since the chrome had peeled and the rim pitted where the tire beads (inside of the rim!). The exterior of the rims are perfect! They removed as much of the "rough area) as possible with a hand grinder. Sure enough the air was down on two tires this morning. It's unbelievable that GM wouldn't fix or stand behind issues like these on their "world class flag ship".

azcaddyguy
12-06-11, 08:56 PM
I continue to get the run around from Cadillac on my 2011. All I get is "We'll call you tomorrow". After no call, I call again and get "we'll call you". I'm the second owner and the last conversation was "We think the peeling on the wheels may have started before you owned the car so it may not be covered under warranty - We'll call you". I thought the warranty transfered with the car. Any ideas anyone has will be appreciated.

stormnn
12-07-11, 02:28 PM
Did they re-install the tire with black sealant? My rt front was loosing 5-6 lbs every 3-4 weeks. They cleaned, sanded & re-installed with a black sealant. That was 3 weeks ago & it hasn't lost a bit of air. Eventually the other 3 will do the same. Find a rim restore shop. We have one that charges $100 to weld up the pitting & turn the rim smooth.
Norm

grilco
12-07-11, 03:01 PM
I continue to get the run around from Cadillac on my 2011. All I get is "We'll call you tomorrow". After no call, I call again and get "we'll call you". I'm the second owner and the last conversation was "We think the peeling on the wheels may have started before you owned the car so it may not be covered under warranty - We'll call you". I thought the warranty transfered with the car. Any ideas anyone has will be appreciated.

Yes your car is still under warranty. If I were you I'd try a different dealership, call cadillac service center and report the dealership or report the dealership to the state in which they do business. Here is a copy of their warranty according to cadillac.com:

WARRANTY AND COVERAGE

Cadillac 4-year/50,0000 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty with no deductible4
Cadillac 5-year/100,000-mile Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible4
Cadillac 5-year/100,000-mile 24/7 Roadside Assistance4
Cadillac 5-year/100,000-mile Courtesy Transportation4

4 YEARS/50,000 MILES4 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty

Cadillac backs your new vehicle with its no-deductible, Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty. The entire vehicle is warranted for repairs, including parts and labor, to correct problems in materials or workmanship, for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first (except normal maintenance). The warranty covers towing to the nearest Cadillac dealership, and there is no deductible for warranty repairs during the warranty period. The warranty transfers automatically with vehicle ownership during the warranty period.

5 YEARS/100,000 MILES4 Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty

Cadillac will warrant each 2007 or newer passenger car, light-duty truck or van for 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

ENGINE

Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE

Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

DRIVE SYSTEMS

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

This is a supplement to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement.

COURTESY TRANSPORTATION PROGRAM

During the warranty coverage period, this Cadillac program provides alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer.

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM

Cadillac is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

CORROSION PROTECTION

Cadillac vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Any sheetmetal that actually rusts through, causing an actual hole in the sheetmetal, is covered for up to 6 years, unlimited miles. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is neither necessary nor required under the Sheet Metal Coverage. See your Cadillac dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ALTERATIONS AND WARRANTIES

Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer, or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials, or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

azcaddyguy
12-08-11, 08:58 AM
Grilco, thanks for the info. I've been to 2 dealerships and contacted Cadillac Customer Service. Still no new rims.

azcaddyguy
12-14-11, 08:54 PM
After more than a month and many, many phone calls, Cadillac has made a decision on my peeling wheels. It is not covered under warranty because they say the wheel damage happened when the previous owner had the car.