: who's the april fool now?

e6t
04-01-11, 03:33 PM
i took a couple guys in the office to lunch today... as i was driving, the guy in the back started touching the headliner and saying that there were water stains all over it right about the rear seat where the sunroom stops and the headliner curves up... i was thinking that he was screwing with me because of april 1... then i started thinking that since several guys on this board had this problem, maybe he wasnt messing with me... but i still would wouldnt bite.

until we got the restaurant and the guy told me he was being serious.

finally i bit and stuck my head in the back seat. sure enough, water stains at each corner of the sunroof and a little right in the middle.

April Fool indeed.

CTSV4now
04-01-11, 03:43 PM
What year and sedan or coupe or wagon?

e6t
04-01-11, 04:09 PM
2010 Sedan.

03Z06Vette
04-01-11, 04:26 PM
Sorry you have it too! It's probably the drains malfunctioning, like mine did. They put some clamps on the drain hoses to prevent this from happening again. Waiting on new headliner.

hulksdaddy
04-01-11, 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear that bro. That UltraView thing blows.

GARBAJ
04-01-11, 07:43 PM
This is just ridiculous. I keep wanting to assume that these problems with the sunroof on the sedan are just a few folks seeking out the forum to vent, and hoping that this is not representative... I want to order one of these cars in a few months, naturally want the roof, but given the issues, am really thinking twice. I am a completely OCD, anal retentive freak. If I had to have them pull the headliner, dry it and tell me it would be "OK"-- I'd show up on the local Houston news, and not for a good reason. This just makes me sick to my stomach.

RippyPartsDept
04-01-11, 08:23 PM
don't get the ultraview/sunroof option then... i have yet to see a sunroof that can be trusted

in my opinion it's like tempting fate

even if it works fine for ten years what about the next 10 years? and how expensive is it going to be to fix???

i'd be a nervous wreck if i owned a car w/ a sunroof (even though it doesn't rain a lot here when it does rain it pours)

e6t
04-01-11, 08:28 PM
dont get the roof. seriously. it EATS headroom, the crappy shade thing flaps around with the windows open and hardly blocks any light and the damned thing isnt even that big when its open.

mine squeaks, creaks and now, leaks.

I wish there was a way to take it out, id do it in a minute.

Mike02z
04-01-11, 10:14 PM
Ew, wish I found this forum before getting the sunroof in my 2011 sedan. This stinks. Oh well, it's only a 39 month lease for me and I don't plan on keeping it longer.

Best of luck on getting yours repaired.
-Mike

RapidRob
04-01-11, 10:39 PM
Reading this thread you'd think that EVERY sun-roof leaked, or was defective in some way. Gotta say that mine doesn't leak, or rattle, or squeek, and I do enjoy it on occasion for some odd reason.

Sorry some of you who have the sun-roofs are haveing problems though ...

Rob

bash535i
04-01-11, 10:41 PM
Probably a stupid question, but my sunroof has lots of wind noise, but no leaks (yet). Could the utraview be sealed up with silicone?
Does anyone know how to adjust the tension or pressure on the center cross bar that is supposed to block the wind noise by spanning the two glass panels? I took one of the rubber rubber strips out of its track today. It seems to be crunched down really bad, therefore not completely contacting the bottom side of of the glass panel. Dealer has new panels on order, but it seems that a higher profile rubber seal and more tension on the cross bar would solve the problems for me.

baabootoo
04-02-11, 12:08 AM
In my opinion, ANYTHING CAN BE SEALED WITH SILICONE GLUE, IF PROPERLY CLEANED AND DRIED FIRST.

cbloveday
04-02-11, 12:51 AM
Reading this thread you'd think that EVERY sun-roof leaked, or was defective in some way. Gotta say that mine doesn't leak, or rattle, or squeek, and I do enjoy it on occasion for some odd reason.

Sorry some of you who have the sun-roofs are haveing problems though ...

Rob

No problems here either. !

GARBAJ
04-02-11, 07:48 AM
don't get the ultraview/sunroof option then... i have yet to see a sunroof that can be trusted

in my opinion it's like tempting fate

even if it works fine for ten years what about the next 10 years? and how expensive is it going to be to fix???

i'd be a nervous wreck if i owned a car w/ a sunroof (even though it doesn't rain a lot here when it does rain it pours)

I most certainly agree that this is the path that I will take if I order a V. Having said this, all three of my current vehicles-a 2008 Sequoia Platinum, my wife's 2004 Tahoe and my son's 2008 Acura TL have sunroofs. None have an issue. Back in the 80's, your statement about tempting fate would be "dead on"-specific to sunroofs. Today, that is not even close to the case. I'd offer that easily 50% of the vehicles (if not more) on the road today have them-(certainly here in sunny Texas). No, the problem is not sunroofs, it is THIS ONE on the sedan. Given that, I will order the V without it if I finally do go this way. I guess I'll be the optimist and remind myself that I'm saving weight, creaks, and leaks...

Jbauer47
04-03-11, 08:22 PM
Make me wonder if I shoud go outside with a hose and test mine...

ctsvinalaska
04-03-11, 08:55 PM
I have had no issues with mine as well. Of course I don't drive it in the rain and it is parked in a garage...

Tony407
04-04-11, 03:59 AM
*knocking on wood* I haven't had any issues with mine whatsoever.

Tony

keepupp
04-04-11, 04:37 AM
I think the leaking Ultra View's is more wide spread than we know. Many V drivers dont drive their cars in the rain and the few times they do they don't notice the spotting/staining on the headliner since its at the rear of the car. I feel bad for the owners that don't find out until after their warranty expires. I suggest everyone run water over the Ultra View (at the drivers side rear corner is where most are experiencing the breach) prior to warranty expiration.

Playdrv4me
04-04-11, 05:30 AM
I most certainly agree that this is the path that I will take if I order a V. Having said this, all three of my current vehicles-a 2008 Sequoia Platinum, my wife's 2004 Tahoe and my son's 2008 Acura TL have sunroofs. None have an issue. Back in the 80's, your statement about tempting fate would be "dead on"-specific to sunroofs. Today, that is not even close to the case. I'd offer that easily 50% of the vehicles (if not more) on the road today have them-(certainly here in sunny Texas). No, the problem is not sunroofs, it is THIS ONE on the sedan. Given that, I will order the V without it if I finally do go this way. I guess I'll be the optimist and remind myself that I'm saving weight, creaks, and leaks...

I've said this 2000 times and I'll say it again. In over 35 cars, I've never had a single issue with a FACTORY sunroof. I've HAD problems with aftermarket sunroof garbage, but never factory ones. That includes mechanics AND leaks, and includes cars of a variety of ages. Even a 1987 560SEC that was otherwise a rust bucket. A properly designed sunroof should be no different than the rest of the power windows on the car, and certainly looks a hell of a lot better than a barren roof (perhaps with the exception of cars with an interesting roof feature of some sort) not just on the outside, but on the inside too (I hate that my Expedition doesn't have one). The Ultraview itself just seems to suck, but it's far from a plain jane sun roof. All the manufacturers are doing them these days, and I think this is a case of over complicating what was already a fine thing.

DoingOK
04-04-11, 09:11 AM
I had to drive home 3.5 hours in pouring rain in my new coupe. I checked everything out several times and didn't notice any leakage. Is it only the sedan that people are experiencing leaks, or does it also include the coupes?

Tony407
04-04-11, 10:45 AM
I think the leaking Ultra View's is more wide spread than we know. Many V drivers dont drive their cars in the rain and the few times they do they don't notice the spotting/staining on the headliner since its at the rear of the car. I feel bad for the owners that don't find out until after their warranty expires. I suggest everyone run water over the Ultra View (at the drivers side rear corner is where most are experiencing the breach) prior to warranty expiration.

I live in Portland, OR. It never stops raining here. LOL

Tony

03Z06Vette
04-04-11, 05:35 PM
Well, if you saw my post about it, the drain fix did not work. I am taking my V in tomorrow for them to figure out what IS going on with my sunroof!!!

If I would have known about all these problems when I ordered mine, I have have NOT gotten the sunroof....

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 03:55 AM
I had to drive home 3.5 hours in pouring rain in my new coupe. I checked everything out several times and didn't notice any leakage. Is it only the sedan that people are experiencing leaks, or does it also include the coupes?

Coupe does not have the UV and thus is not affected.