: DTS OEM radio in a 95 Fleetwood???

Daz77
04-01-11, 12:58 AM
Can a Dts OEM radio be installed in a 95 Fleetwood??? I was going to install a 98 Deville oem radio in the Fleetwood when I thought about going for the gusto and installing a DTS factory radio in it. Has anyone ever tried this or should I keep dreaming???

cadillac kevin
04-01-11, 01:53 AM
as a direct bolt in? no. it looks too wide, and its not square, so you have to modify either it or the dash. you'd also need the harness for it , theftlock code (if GM still does that), plus you have to bypass the fleetwoods external amp/ tuner box. some GM radios even require the cars radio to link into the BCM/PCM.

Daz77
04-03-11, 06:22 PM
Are there any options for a replacement factory radio on a 95 Fleetwood. I would like to replace the tape deck with another factory radio so I would have a AUX connection to install a ipod adapter. I have a long trip ahead of me in HOT June.

Barrister_07101
04-03-11, 08:10 PM
If your question is are there options - the answer is yes and they are relatively easy. If your question is there a non-fleetwood (read: non-B/D-Body) radio that will be relatively easy - the answer is no. First, you are in the fortunate position that your radio is NOT connected to the a data-bus or as Kevin said the BCM/PCM of the car. I would go after-market as there are a good number of Double-Din sized units (that's the size of the unit for 93-96 Fleetwoods) out there starting from a low of $250. You could doa google search or hit Amazon, Crutchfield, Sonicelectrix, etc. If you need more info - you can search the forum here where there are alot of answers.

Daz77
04-03-11, 08:30 PM
Good looking out Barrister, I really don't want to go aftermarket. I guess I'll be the first to modify another ac delco to work in a Fleetwood. I'll do some more searching on the forum, but I really want the radio up top. That would be perfect to have CD, Ipod, XM radio and steering wheel controls, lol.

Stingroo
04-03-11, 08:38 PM
If you pull it off, you'd be pretty badass honestly.

But I can't see it without a lot of dash hacking going on. :( Good luck to you, sir.

Daz77
04-03-11, 11:29 PM
I'm gonna hit Lowe's for a Dremer tool and go to work on that radio, lol. I've seen the 50 dollar wire to bypass the tuner box, so I might start there. Can I bypass the tuner box in the trunk all together and run my own wires??

cadillac kevin
04-04-11, 12:43 AM
I've heard of guys putting radios from higher end buicks circa 2000 in their fwb's. they look factoy (because they are), have CD and tape, and IIRC a 200 watt amp. you could always mod the radio to put an 1/8 inch jack into the outputs from the tape mechanism to the radio itself. I know it can be done on the 1.5 DIN radios as well as the old 2 post style, so I don't see why you can't do it on the newer radios. no dremel required, just a solder gun.
btw, you shouldn't need a $50 wire to bypass the tuner box. run new speaker lines, new ignition and constant power lines, and a ground to the new radio. its not hard, just time consuming. leave the tuner box as is in the trunk with power.

outsider
04-04-11, 09:51 AM
for me it was easier and quicker to just run the long ass bypass wires from the trunk to the front.

Daz77
04-04-11, 09:52 PM
Show some picture, please. I need some motivation with this install. Anyone ever use the newer oem radios?? If so, please put some pictures up. That will help out alot.

mjs182004
04-04-11, 10:24 PM
I've put in a radio from a 1996 Buick lesabre into my 1991 Brougham(had some help from other members on here). It was relatively easy. Once I found the wire (color) chart for both cars, I was amazed how easy it was. The hardest part for me was getting to the amp inside the dash and disconnecting and removing the amp. I'm sure you can find a way to get that radio into your 95!

outsider
04-04-11, 10:49 PM
Daz I posted pictures of my install. I will look for the post tomorrow or you can search the forums.

Daz77
04-05-11, 12:20 AM
I'm on page 8 and no luck yet, lol. I really want to see one.

Daz77
04-05-11, 01:05 AM
I'm on page 8 and no luck yet, lol. I really want to see one.

I think I found the thread. It's "1995 Fleetwood radio install", but that's an aftermarket radio. I wanted to a Fleetwood with an newer OEM, such as a DTS or Deville.

outsider
04-05-11, 09:40 AM
oh yeah, no...i went aftermarket. i thought you just wanted pictures of the process.

my bad :)

Stingroo
04-05-11, 09:41 AM
No sir, I do believe you are a pioneer in this department.

Barrister_07101
04-05-11, 01:01 PM
Good luck - please post pics of the whole process.

jayoldschool
04-05-11, 05:50 PM
If the DTS radio links to the data bus, you can't install it in an earlier car.

Daz77
04-06-11, 11:06 PM
This is a picture of the back of the radio and the wire harness. I want to say the harness fits this radio. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this harness does not connect to anything else besides the radio.

cadillac kevin
04-06-11, 11:48 PM
that harness is not for that radio. note the offset split in the harness plug, whereas the radio has a straight split. that harness is for a GM radio from the late 90's.
the databus will input into the radio through the harness. sometimes the databus (or ECM/PCM) communicate to the radio (sends it a signal that allows the radio to work- no signal=no radio), and sometimes they just provide power to the radio. If the radio receives a signal from the databus (and not just power), it will be a major ordeal to install (and costly) since you will have to install the computer from whatever car the radio came from in order for the radio to work, and even then it might not work.
How old is the radio you want to install?

csbuckn
04-07-11, 01:16 AM
What kind of signal does a databus send? If its just a 12V supply a little after ignition on, I would think that would be easy to bypass with a little switch. But I would suspect there would be a way to bypass the databus.

cadillac kevin
04-07-11, 01:30 AM
I really have no idea what kind of signal some of the databus send. I just know that some won't work without the computer (since everything ties in together on the newer caddies.) the bose HU (from a 91 seville) in my caddy hooked into the BCM/PCM data line, but it was actually just the constant power and IIRC dash lights.

Stingroo
04-07-11, 09:15 AM
Maybe give an audio expert in your area a call. This sounds interesting now....

turbojimmy
04-09-11, 08:51 AM
What kind of signal does a databus send? If its just a 12V supply a little after ignition on, I would think that would be easy to bypass with a little switch. But I would suspect there would be a way to bypass the databus.

I had the pleasure of reconstructing a 2001 flood total. I replaced most of the submerged electronics with modules from a 2000 DTS collision total. I learned A LOT about how the network works and what needs done in order for it to all function properly. See here: http://turbojimmy.4t.com/dts/dts.html

It's digital serial data - just like a computer network. Actually, in the manual they describe the data bus system in the car as a small local area network. The radio in the 2000+ Devilles are part of that network. The major modules are the traffic cops (like the Body Control Module, Dash Control Module, Body Control Module, etc.) and other modules just provide data for them to make decisions (like the inside temperature sensor) or are "slaves" like seat heaters and the radio. Each module registers a unique code with its master. If you replace a certain module, like a radio, and its code is different than what has been registered with the master, that feature won't work. The dealer can go into the master (like the BCM) and manually register the module. I think part of the reason for this is to thwart black market parts, and the other is to ensure a revenue stream for the dealers.

It wouldn't be worth the hassle of installing a BCM in the car, because you can't just have a network consisting of the BCM and the radio. A BCM is going to want to talk to other modules and they're not going to be there unless you duplicate the entire network. Each of the "master" modules is flashed at the factory with that particular car's options. For example, a BCM in one car is going to be looking for heated seat modules, others may not. The PCM is flashed with engine management parameters associated with an individual car's drivetrain.

Anyway, on the later model Devilles, there are 2 reasons that the radio is connected to the BCM. The first I already mentioned - to register itself with the BCM. All the later model radios are going to have a version of TheftLock. There are ways to unlock the radios, though. The second reason is that the radio actually provides the "chime" functions. That's why, until fairly recently, it was a pain in the butt to put an aftermarket radio in many GM cars. But, there are modules now that talk to the BCM in those cars to simulate the chime function independent of the radio. The newer radios are also going to have satellite radio, OnStar and even navigation functionality. I don't know if they'd be upset if they couldn't find the modules associated with those features when powered up.

In my opinion, for the time, money and hassle, there are far better aftermarket alternatives that fill the double-DIN hole in the dash very nicely. The stock speakers in the Fleetwood are pretty stout so if you get something with a bit more power it sounds pretty good.

csbuckn
04-09-11, 10:23 AM
That would make me think that once the computer sees the sihnal, it would send power to another wire. So maybe finding the wire that's powered after the signal would work. Maybe I little time at a battery terminal would help.

Barrister_07101
04-11-11, 08:20 PM
Still an interesting thread.

astansbury84
03-24-13, 04:11 PM
Hello all i have a 1995 fleetwood brougham and i am very discouraged and frustrated right now i would love to install an aftermarket radio in my car without having to bypass the amp because i would actually like the sound of the amp if anyone in here has ever hooked a radio up and used the factory amp if i could get some info and some guidance that would be great thanks guys