: What is this?

WOLVERCOTE
03-31-11, 11:45 PM
In the trunk of my 87 brougham there is a black box built in against the back near the left side tail light. It has a slot on top with what looks like an antenna protruding. Rod has a top like an antenna. If nobody knows what this is i will try and post a picture tomorrow. Thanks

cadillac kevin
04-01-11, 12:56 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say some sort of wireless alarm system or a car phone module (because of the antennae) . Without seeing it, its hard to say.

outsider
04-01-11, 08:17 AM
maybe an electric starter or remote entry type deal?

robb257731
04-01-11, 09:07 AM
I was thinking cellphone receiver....back in the days when they were 'carphones' and the size of a brick.

WOLVERCOTE
04-01-11, 10:08 PM
HAVE PICTURES BUT KEEP COMING BACK AS TOO LARGE TO POST. I CAN SEND E_MAIL PICTURES IF ANYBODY WANTS TO I.D. THIS. THANKS MY E-MAIL: oxfordaf@msn.com

My_favorite_Brougham
04-01-11, 11:07 PM
That is the manual control for your locking gas tank door (the license plate). When the doors are unlocked, the gas door unlocks. But if you ever need to unlock your gas tank without the power locks, open your trunk and slide that silver lever over to one side.

csbuckn
04-02-11, 12:12 AM
So that lock is electric too? I gotta look on my service manual at this setup

WOLVERCOTE
04-02-11, 12:03 PM
BINGO! It is the control for the gas tank door. Tried it this morning. Do all 87 Broughams have this? Just getting to know this car. It even has A working garage door opener in the slot between the visors. After sitting since 2001 I changed all the fluids and it started right up. No rips /tears and EVERYTHING WORKS. Everything should at 51000 miles. Thanks for all the help.

outsider
04-02-11, 12:41 PM
nice...I don't have a locking gas door :(

mjs182004
04-02-11, 01:44 PM
it's nice to have to all the little punks can steal your gas.

sven914
04-02-11, 02:43 PM
^The placement of the filler tube is a security feature in and of itself... Nobody knows where it is.

Stingroo
04-02-11, 10:26 PM
Well, mostly nobody.

I still believe that cars should have their gas fillers behind the license plate. It was so convenient with dad's Cutlass. Didn't matter what way you pulled into the pump, you were good.

brougham
04-02-11, 11:13 PM
There's probably a lot more people who know it's there then don't. Most RWD GMs through the 80s had the filler behind the license plate.

pompste
04-03-11, 10:21 AM
Well, mostly nobody.

I still believe that cars should have their gas fillers behind the license plate. It was so convenient with dad's Cutlass. Didn't matter what way you pulled into the pump, you were good.

Exactly right on the behind the license plate gas fillers.My '78 Deville has it there---now the only problem is because of the extra long length of this Caddy,sometimes i have to "back it in" to get gas.

My_favorite_Brougham
04-04-11, 01:10 AM
Exactly right on the behind the license plate gas fillers.My '78 Deville has it there---now the only problem is because of the extra long length of this Caddy,sometimes i have to "back it in" to get gas.

I just pull forward and annoy everyone at the gas station. It's fun to watch the Suburbans play Tetris with the space I leave for them to maneuver past me!

intragration
04-04-11, 03:16 AM
One of the funniest experiences of my life. I pulled up with the '70 to fill up, it blocked off a pass-through in the lot behind the building. It was the only way to get the hose to reach. There were still 6 other ways to get to an exit. A woman in a black BMW 750 pulls up to the front of my car, but couldn't get through. She rolls down the window and says "can you please move that thing?!". I told her I was filling it up. She says "please move, you're blocking the exit!". I pointed out that there were six other ways out. She says "I want to go out here, please move!". I told her that I wouldn't move until I was done filling it up, and that she should have bought a smaller car ha ha ha. She turned red and backed up.