: EXT OnStar Module location

4buckster
03-31-11, 11:36 PM
I've ordered a Bluestar 2010 for my EXT and was wondering if someone could tell me where to find the Onstar module for connecting this unit, I had someone say that it was in the front console behind the climate control, but I considered this an "unreliable source" so to speak. If anyone can confirm or deny this, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Playdrv4me
04-01-11, 12:05 AM
That is 100 percent correct. You must remove the cupholder panel, the panel around the radio, and the panel above the passenger's knees (with the Cadillac script). Then you must remove the 6 bolts holding in the radio and set it aside. Once you have the radio out you'll see the Onstar module hiding down underneath it. It is held by nothing more than force by the two clips on either end.

Any reason you went with the Bluestar instead of the OEM VCIM module?

4buckster
04-01-11, 12:11 AM
no particular reason I went with this system, I just happened to be talking to a buddy about my discontent over the fact that my 07 didn't have factory BT. He sent me a link, and away I went and ordered. I did not realize there were options until I started searching this forum. I presume you think there are better systems out there? Thanks for your help as well.

krieghoff
04-01-11, 01:05 AM
Some Bluetooth units hook up behind the glove box. That is how my Blue Fusion hooks up.

Playdrv4me
04-01-11, 02:24 AM
Some Bluetooth units hook up behind the glove box. That is how my Blue Fusion hooks up.

Bluestar replaces the factory OnStar module and essentially "tricks" the car into thinking that the Bluestar module is the OnStar module. It's the next best thing after the VCIM, but from what I've heard, still not nearly as well integrated.

Playdrv4me
04-01-11, 02:27 AM
no particular reason I went with this system, I just happened to be talking to a buddy about my discontent over the fact that my 07 didn't have factory BT. He sent me a link, and away I went and ordered. I did not realize there were options until I started searching this forum. I presume you think there are better systems out there? Thanks for your help as well.

Bluestar is pretty good for a custom engineered workaround, but the ultimate solution for 2007 and 2008 Escalades is the VCIM (do a search for VCIM in the Escalade subforum and you will have all the info you ever wanted). Basically, when we talk about the VCIM, we are talking about purchasing the OnStar module from a 2009 or later vehicle, and swapping the boxes with our non Bluetooth Onstar box. If you can believe it, the only thing that differentiates a late model non bluetooth GM vehicle from one with it, is entirely contained within the OnStar electronics box. When you replace the VCIM, you have the absolute tightest integration possible with your Bluetooth phone... including having the dial pad on the front nav screen and being able to answer and disconnect calls from either the steering wheel (answer only), rearview mirror, or the nav display.