: NEEED HELP...Anybody near Framingham or Boston MA

drewb612
10-06-04, 05:56 PM
Well looks like i am completely ****ed. I have no money, and serious car problems, i had it scanned, and had 27 codes that looked pretty bad.

At the minimum i need to have my spark plugs and wires changed, but i honestly am not confident enough to do this on my own. If anybody lives near the area and is willing to help me out on this, it would be greatly appreciated. At the minimum, i know it isnt much, but i would be willing to buy whoever helps a good lunch and hopefully throw some money your way. If you are even remotely interested, please post or let me know and ill get back to u with my number and anythign else.

please help!! thanks

drewb612
10-07-04, 07:59 AM
lol somebody has to live around here

bbozsik
10-10-04, 05:25 AM
Come on, my friend... lift your head up and relax.

I don't live near Framingham, nor to Boston, though..

Do, for your own good, make sure that your battery is connected at the terminals tightly. Make sure the terminals are clean and shiny. Most often, when you have that many trouble codes, it is from a weak or badly connected battery. honestly. Think about it... what is the chance that 27 different things could go wrong with your car at the same time?

Reset the codes, drive around a bit, and then see what comes back.

As far as the plugs and wires go... at the very least, get cheap plugs from your local parts store. It is recommended that you get AC Delco double platinum plugs, but those are about 7 bucks a piece, and if you're short on cash do what you have to do. Wires... a knock off set will run you 60 from AutoZone. AC Delco IS recommended though, however.

You can do plugs and wires yourself. It's really not that bad a task. Search on this forum for the how-tos. :thumbsup:

drewb612
10-10-04, 12:16 PM
its def the plugs, its just a terrible situation, my car just wants to die. I will double check the battery, but if i dont get this fixed soon, i think im really going to **** up my engine

drewb612
10-11-04, 05:45 PM
bump

drewb612
10-20-04, 11:49 PM
well my plugs come within the next week and im really looking for someone to help

CadiJeff
10-21-04, 02:37 AM
what year deville is it, what are the codes, if it is a northstar motor, "a monkey and two trainees could do the spark plugs" Cadillacs are not as hard to work on as every mechanic tries to tell you they are.

peteski
10-21-04, 03:33 AM
Well looks like i am completely ****ed. I have no money, and serious car problems, i had it scanned, and had 27 codes that looked pretty bad.
please help!! thanks

I still don't know how you "magically" deduced that all those 27 codes were all pointing towards bad spark plugs. Fathom me that one.... Maybe I'm just naive...
And all 27 codes were in the PCM section?!

And being such a brilliant troubleshooter, you can't even change your own plugs?

Hmmm....
:hmm:

Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't hold it in any longer. :rolleyes:

Peteski

jjbuckley
10-21-04, 09:16 AM
What are your codes? As bbozsik said you really need to pull your battery cables off, and clean them, seperate the 2 positive cables and clean check the positive bolts for corrosion and that it is not pitted or degraded and check the grounds to the engine and frame for corrosion and tightness.

Then make sure to clear the codes and drive, post any codes that come back. You really need to post the codes so that you can get accurate help and information.

Changing the plugs is not a big deal, just take your time and do one at a time, pull the spark plug boot by grabbing the boot itself not the wire, twist and pull off, replace your plug after checking the gap and check the terminal in the spark plug wire and reconnect and go to the next one.

drewb612
10-21-04, 05:25 PM
its not the battery, if noone is interested in helping, then w.e
edit, got the codes from a scanner

danbuc
10-21-04, 10:04 PM
Go to the local hardware store and get yourself a cheap socket set with a 1 ft, and a 6" extension(not sure which one exactly) and a spark plug socket. You don't need anything fancy. Just pull out the boot, unscrew the plugs and remove them. I would inspect them before they are thrown away. Take the new spark plugs, lower them in and screw them tight(not to tight, don't want to strip hole). The holes for the sparks plugs in the back are a bit tricky to get to, but still possible. I'm sure someone here has done this on a Northstar before and can tell you exactly how. Now that you have the codes, as stated before, you should post them immediately. This will determine whether or not it is just the plugs or something more serious. I was testing voltage drop on my starter and unplugged the fuel pump relay and the four conectors on the coil pack. After I cranked it over to get a reading, it had only thrown about 4 or 5 codes. Not even close to 27. and thats with the fuel pump and ignition system both disabled at the same time. Post the codes so we can have a look see. Thats your best bet right now. Good luck, hope everything works out.

drewb612
10-21-04, 10:07 PM
the shop erased all the codes yesterday

danbuc
10-21-04, 10:14 PM
Drive it for a few days and then check for codes again. You can do it yourself through the DIC(dash display). This page will show you how, its pretty easy. http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html . Once you find them, right them down on a sheet of paper and post them when you can. If you miss one while they are being listed, you can always go back and see them again. Good Luck ;)

danbuc
10-21-04, 10:19 PM
www.caddyinfo.com also has a searchable archive that you can use to find most answers to your questions. It's helped me and many others too. If you have more question, don't be afraid to ask. Someone will be glad to help, its what us fellow caddy owners are here for. :thumbsup:

drewb612
10-21-04, 10:30 PM
cool thanks

chuckdobbins
10-22-04, 01:38 PM
im from the south shore but im not very mechanically inclined and have never touched a N*. i did the plugs and 1/2 the wires on my old continental (couldnt get to the the back 3). i just recommened doing it shortly before mother nature drops the temp. another 10 degrees.

dont panic with the 27 codes by the way. to be honest its probably a few minor problems that cause a chain reaction. fixing one problem and clearing that code could very well clear a few others as well.

and is this your first car? if so i feel your pain, my first car i thought was awesome cuz it was a lincoln, i loved it but repairs killed me. many people have had love to hate hate to love relationships with their first cars. dont give up just yet.