: Guy's best track pads and maybe street?

Somefun
03-31-11, 09:14 PM
Guy's I'm heading to the Glen in a month and wanted to know the best track pads you've run? I thought I'd buy some Hawk HP Plus? But I'm also looking for more initial bite... And would like to run them on the street if I can take it. I have an auto so I'm going to put a hurting on the pads for sure. What do you think?

dvandentop
03-31-11, 09:38 PM
i would think hp + would be the best track/street combo, unless you can go to full race pads instead which would be best for the track.

baabootoo
03-31-11, 11:31 PM
Glen who? I see nothing wrong with our stock pads at all. Up at the Road last fall, we hit over 130 on all 3 straight aways. The brakes worked wonderfully all day long, for 5 - 20+ minute sessions. All I plan on doing this year is changing brake fluid but see nothing wrong with the stock pads; except for the brake dust!!!!!! :)

thebigjimsho
03-31-11, 11:54 PM
After using the Hawk DTC-30 all of last summer, including 2 track days, going back to stock pads feels like my Town Car with fade...

dvandentop
04-01-11, 12:33 AM
After using the Hawk DTC-30 all of last summer, including 2 track days, going back to stock pads feels like my Town Car with fade...
nice tire rack sell those? you go through a set of front rotors yet? if so what is replacement cost on those?

Somefun
04-01-11, 05:44 AM

How were they on the street much noise? If I have to live with much noise I think I'l run track pads and swap them out afterwards...

Silver -V-
04-01-11, 11:39 AM
I have been running the Hawk DTC-70 pads. The Hawk rep suggested them for our brake intensive tracks here in N. Texas. As for an everyday pad, I can't recommend them. They dust 4x the stock pad amount and squeel at every stop sign when warm. If you want to stopthisfast on the track, it is a great pad. You will need to watch rotor temps, and look for spider cracking on the rotor surface after a few track days due to heat.

For everyday driving with occasional track days - the Hawk HP-S are fine and dust about the same or less as the stock pad. The downfall to the stock pad is the material will become very gummy after a hard session, and leave a lot of material on the rotor. It will work itself off in a few days, but it is annoying.

Umrswimr
04-01-11, 04:05 PM
I have been running the Hawk DTC-70 pads. The Hawk rep suggested them for our brake intensive tracks here in N. Texas. As for an everyday pad, I can't recommend them. They dust 4x the stock pad amount and squeel at every stop sign when warm. If you want to stopthisfast on the track, it is a great pad. You will need to watch rotor temps, and look for spider cracking on the rotor surface after a few track days due to heat.

For everyday driving with occasional track days - the Hawk HP-S are fine and dust about the same or less as the stock pad. The downfall to the stock pad is the material will become very gummy after a hard session, and leave a lot of material on the rotor. It will work itself off in a few days, but it is annoying.

Yep.

I would avoid trying to run a "compromise" pad for both track and street use. It'll end up being bad at both. :lol:

Buy dedicated track pads and change them either at the track on before you leave. It literally takes longer to jack the car up and R&R the wheels than it does to actually change the pads.

I'm running EBC Yellows on my C5, which are a very aggressive street/track pad- far more heat tolerant than HP+/HP-S (which I hated). They work fairly well on the track and you can drive to/from the track with them if you want. Just watch out for that first stop on the street!

thebigjimsho
04-01-11, 11:43 PM
nice tire rack sell those? you go through a set of front rotors yet? if so what is replacement cost on those?

How were they on the street much noise? If I have to live with much noise I think I'l run track pads and swap them out afterwards...
The TireRack could probably sell them but don't list them for our Vs right now. Anyone who has access to Hawk should be able to get them. I got mine from: http://bigbrakeparts.net/searchResults.php?year=2009&make=CADILLAC&model=CTS&sub_model=CTS-V%20Series%20Only

These guys are local to me and have good prices.

I have 25k miles with 2 track days on my '09 and the rotors are fine right now. Don't know replacement cost and don't want to know for awhile. But Hawk race pads have always seemed to be pretty mild on rotors for my '04.

The DTC-30s did make noise. Not squealing loudly on every single stop, but often enough to enjoy the relief of putting stock pads back on as winter approached. The guys who sold them to me were confident that we could eliminate the noise with shims(if memory serves me correctly) so I'll try this spring. But the pads were excellent as street pads without needing heat to work effectively and great pedal feel. And they worked great on the track, although a few on this forum have expressed concern about their temp limits. I didn't see it on the long straights of Summit Point but I'll probably bump up to DTC-70s if I end up getting slicks this year...

Somefun
04-02-11, 07:36 AM
Glen who? I see nothing wrong with our stock pads at all. Up at the Road last fall, we hit over 130 on all 3 straight aways. The brakes worked wonderfully all day long, for 5 - 20+ minute sessions. All I plan on doing this year is changing brake fluid but see nothing wrong with the stock pads; except for the brake dust!!!!!! :)

You better put your foot into it a little harder if you think the stock pads are good...At Watkins Glen you will easily hit 165!:ride:

Chris__B
04-02-11, 02:18 PM
The DTC-30s did make noise. Not squealing loudly on every single stop, but often enough to enjoy the relief of putting stock pads back on as winter approached. The guys who sold them to me were confident that we could eliminate the noise with shims(if memory serves me correctly) so I'll try this spring. But the pads were excellent as street pads without needing heat to work effectively and great pedal feel. And they worked great on the track, although a few on this forum have expressed concern about their temp limits. I didn't see it on the long straights of Summit Point but I'll probably bump up to DTC-70s if I end up getting slicks this year...
If you like the response of the DTC-30's, you'll love the 70's (as long as you have DTC-60 on the rear). But those are definitely not street pads! Shims will not shut them up at all -- nor will they help the 30's much. I've tested them on various cars this past year and loved the bite and feel under heavy braking, but could shatter storefront windows with the squeal.

Chris

dvandentop
04-02-11, 02:21 PM
If you like the response of the DTC-30's, you'll love the 70's (as long as you have DTC-60 on the rear). But those are definitely not street pads! Shims will not shut them up at all -- nor will they help the 30's much. I've tested them on various cars this past year and loved the bite and feel under heavy braking, but could shatter storefront windows with the squeal.

Chris

got a part # for the v front dtc 70's and the rear dtc 60's??

also a link to a company who sells the goodridge V stainless lines?

thanks man

Chris__B
04-02-11, 04:02 PM

thanks man
Front DTC-70: HB649U.605
Rear DTC-60: HB194G.605

Goodridge lines: Last I heard, Goodridge had not released the latest version. The earliest 09's had some different fittings, so they had to go back to the drawing board when they became aware that GM made the change. I'm helping their engineers check the prototype kit on a 'V coupe this coming week (so we can verify that it fits all three models), IF we can get the car in. The owner loves it so much, it's hard to get him to leave it for a few hours! But if he wants the free set of lines, he'll need to -- or else we'll quickly find someone else near Orange County who wants to step up.

Stillen (www.stillen.com (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/www.stillen.com)) can get all of these parts, if not on the shelf now. The lines are just a little bit out pending final approval and production lead time.

Chris

dvandentop
04-02-11, 04:56 PM
cool thanks man there is a 5th line that is used in the brake system for something i have seen in other kits.
will be awaiting for the word on the stainless lines

Silver -V-
04-04-11, 09:58 AM

thanks man

I have been able to order the pads as listed by Chris_B through Tire Rack and Auto Anything. As for the lines, I believe your car is about the same as mine as an early '09 (12/08 build date for mine). The current Goodridge lines will work on it.

Just watch your Rotors, and you will love the performance of these pads on the track with this heavy car. I found the DTC-30 pads were fine with a lighter car like the Corvette, but this is a very heavy car and needs a better heat resistant pad formula.

hman123
04-05-11, 05:03 PM
Ran carbotech pads at VIR last weekend on 2011 V coupe and they are great. Been using carbotech on Porsche and Corvette last several years. To much noise for street use however.

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 11:16 PM
I have been able to order the pads as listed by Chris_B through Tire Rack and Auto Anything. As for the lines, I believe your car is about the same as mine as an early '09 (12/08 build date for mine). The current Goodridge lines will work on it.

Just watch your Rotors, and you will love the performance of these pads on the track with this heavy car. I found the DTC-30 pads were fine with a lighter car like the Corvette, but this is a very heavy car and needs a better heat resistant pad formula.
On the track they've been fine but I'll admit I wasn't fully flogging the V in 2 events. On the street, they'll be great regardless...

dvandentop
04-07-11, 12:17 AM

where did you find the goodridge lines for 09?? i could not find anywhere to order them online without calling

thanks

FKellyJr
04-07-11, 10:12 PM
Have Used Porterfield R4 on the track for my vette and porsche. I use R4-s for the street in the vette the CTS V and the Porsche. Can not say enough good things about their performance..Super pads..Give them a call

Somefun
04-09-11, 05:36 PM
I'm going to order the DTC70 for the front and the 60'd for the rear....I'm doing my SS line install with Amsoil fluid tomorrow.... Got the from D3. Can wait to hit the track with this hot rod....just hope the tranny (auto ) is up to it. lol

thebigjimsho
04-09-11, 09:05 PM
Keep us abreast! A breast?