: Want to get a monster clutch, but...

Whit151
03-31-11, 07:07 PM
Hoping you all can help me out. I have an '05 V with just about 90,000 miles on it and it's about time for a clutch. I've been doing some checking and want to get a monster clutch to swap out the original. Problem is, the shops that I go to want to only use the clutches they sell... and monster isn't one of them. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get an aftermarket clutch installed at a decent price (note: I live in the city of Cincinnati). I'm willing to travel.

Thanks!

jaskel
03-31-11, 09:06 PM
Not that it will help with your install issue, but I have a brand new in box monster stage 2 clutch, 28# flywheel, remote bleeder, and arp hardware for sale. Got it, ended up needing to get my rear end fixed more than a clutch

whisler151
04-01-11, 11:41 AM
Looks like Monster has a distributor located in Cincy http://www.cincyperformance.com/

You can look at distributors in your area here http://www.monsterclutch.com/distributors.html#

JimmyH
04-01-11, 04:33 PM
Did you try your dealer? Most dealers will install aftermarket parts. They just won't guarantee them or the labor if they fail prematurely.

Koooop
04-02-11, 12:48 PM
You may want to contact Heavy.

heavymetals
04-02-11, 01:01 PM
You may want to contact Heavy.

I have a brand new clutch from Katech just waiting to replace the Monster (which I have grown to really dislike).

Since I have started driving Mr. Vette, I am in less of a hurry to exchange it out.

(enjoying Mr. Vette).

CancerJCC
04-03-11, 07:33 PM
I have a brand new clutch from Katech just waiting to replace the Monster (which I have grown to really dislike).

Since I have started driving Mr. Vette, I am in less of a hurry to exchange it out.

(enjoying Mr. Vette).

Heavy go ahead and just sell me that LS9 POS. You don't wanna mess with it....I got $600. :)

OP Stick with stage II or below if you want to stay with Monster. Stage III + is asking for hell.

Whit151
04-05-11, 12:57 PM
Thanks. Contacted Cincy Performance before and haven't heard back from them. Hopefully this one will be different.

Whit151
04-05-11, 01:00 PM
I'm not looking to do anything crazy with my V - won't be doing forced induction or anything that serious. If I do anything, I'll probably throw some cams in or something. Don't get me wrong, I like boost, but not for this car.

JimmyH
04-05-11, 01:10 PM
If I do anything, I'll probably throw some cams in or something.

I think you can only throw one cam in at a time.

whisler151
04-05-11, 01:32 PM
OP Stick with stage II or below if you want to stay with Monster. Stage III + is asking for hell.

Yes, I would recommend the Level II as well. I've had it in for nearly 2 years and its great. I have heard that the Level III is pretty sticky and has a lot of chatter. I would not go to the Level III unless you are over 575rwhp and do a lot of drag racing. If so, that clutch will hold you just fine. But it will suck on the street from the reviews i've read.

CancerJCC
04-05-11, 03:01 PM
Yes, I would recommend the Level II as well. I've had it in for nearly 2 years and its great. I have heard that the Level III is pretty sticky and has a lot of chatter. I would not go to the Level III unless you are over 575rwhp and do a lot of drag racing. If so, that clutch will hold you just fine. But it will suck on the street from the reviews i've read.

Yep you and a couple others are why I don't tell people to completely stay away from Monster. The level II sounds like it does great but the level III is a nightmare!

BTW You wife drives one freaking badass truck! lol

silver02stang
04-06-11, 11:20 AM
I had a level II in mine but the only thing I would suggest if you're running the LS6 is to either run with the 28# flywheel vs. the 18# flywheel OR find out if Monster will sell you a disc that's NOT dual friction (although you'll lose some holding power). I was "tolerant" of mine but with city driving the dual friction disc would heat up due to having to slip the clutch for smooth take offs and after a little while would start to squeal pretty bad. I'd have to jump on it pretty hard a couple times to "fix" it. It seems that those with LS2's don't seem to have the issue quite as much - the only thing I can figure is that it may have something to do with the 6.0 having a bit more torque at lower rpms to get these pigs moving. So as far as I'm concerned: ls2 = 18#; ls6 28# - this is my theory.

Whit151
04-12-11, 09:29 PM
Just a quick update... I've contacted a couple of distributors that are near me - with the only one contacting me back being 90 miles away (I guess the place about 15 minutes away from me didn't want my business - the place in Kentucky e-mailed me about 20 minutes after I sent them an e-mail at about 11:30 p.m.).

I found a place that is trying to be the big distributor and installer here in town and they called Monster to be a distributor of their products - and also to get one for me. According to the installer, the company told him that I would need to get a C6 Premium Chromoly package to put in. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but wanted to double check with some folks on here to see if this is correct. Like I said, I'm not trying to put big power in here.

Does this sound right?

CancerJCC
04-12-11, 09:43 PM
Thats true. I think the only thing the "premium" package has that you need is the slave though. I could be wrong so double check but I do recall ordering the most expensive package they had (what he is saying you need).

If I were you and knowing what I know now about drive ability with these clutches.....I would go with a twin disc. There is a reason that a lot of the Monster guys are buying or looking at the LS9 setup. Myself included but this time I'm waiting for a year + from everyone before I jump on the bandwagon. Good luck with whatever you decide but if ANY chatter or drive ability issues are unacceptable I would look elsewhere....

heavymetals
04-12-11, 09:52 PM
Had I known what the Monster was gonna be, I would have went the LS9 in the first place, not withstanding any $ difference.

The dental work you require after shaking lose a couple of fillings more then makes up for that. :histeric:

I have an LS9 clutch sitting on the floor, my V in storage and I just don't feel like crawling underneath it this month.

But I will be DOGGONE IT. :bonkers:

whisler151
04-12-11, 11:36 PM
According to the installer, the company told him that I would need to get a C6 Premium Chromoly package to put in. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but wanted to double check with some folks on here to see if this is correct. Like I said, I'm not trying to put big power in here.

Does this sound right?

Yes, you need the C6 Premium to fit the V. The lesser prices versions are for F body's and GTO's.

I dont think you need the 18lb flywheel though. The 28lb will work just fine...although I love my 18lb flywheel with level 2. :cool2:

Koooop
04-13-11, 10:33 AM
I have an LS7 set up in my trunk, waiting to be installed. The Transmission guy I use seems to think this is the way to go. I hope this thing is smooth, I wouldn't want to shake loose my dentures.

JimmyH
04-13-11, 01:06 PM
That's why you old guys are not supposed to have a car like this.

Koooop
04-13-11, 06:07 PM
:wisdom:

CancerJCC
04-13-11, 08:20 PM
That's why you old guys are not supposed to have a car like this.

LOL! I'm 25 and trust me the Monster shaking your fillings loose is not the ONLY issue with it....

JimmyH
04-13-11, 11:04 PM
You guys should just do an LS7 and be done with it.

Koooop
04-13-11, 11:24 PM
I will report back on how the LS7 set up works out.

Being an old guy, I'll have to run around in my stroked corvette while the V is getting her clutch.

I'll try to stay out of your way there sonny.

:nyanya:

JimmyH
04-14-11, 01:26 PM
oops

roushstge2
04-30-11, 04:26 PM
Not that it will help with your install issue, but I have a brand new in box monster stage 2 clutch, 28# flywheel, remote bleeder, and arp hardware for sale. Got it, ended up needing to get my rear end fixed more than a clutch

How much are you asking for your clutch?

bneal1022
04-30-11, 08:57 PM
i'm going to do an LS7 at the reccommendation of Luke from Lindsay, and add a remote bleeder, although i have bled my clutch easily without it.

Koooop
04-30-11, 10:10 PM
I got the remote bleeder from Los Angeles Performance Division (LAPD). The guy that's putting the set up in said bleeding the LS7 slave is tough without the bleeder. He didn't care if I put in the bleeder or not, but he said it's a good idea.

As soon as I get my Vette fixed the LS7 set up will be in the V directly.

1madstsv
05-01-11, 03:00 PM
I have a stage 4 monster in my c5 with just over 400rw. I track the car alot 1/4 -autocross -track days. And drive to all of them over 6000 miles a year. Yes it takes some geting use to but it's not bad. My gf that had never driven stick learned to drive on my car. I ran 21 back to back 1/4 passes in less than 1 hr never turned the car off and the clutch worked allsome. Car runs 11.72@120 on nito invos. 1.87 60ft. I hade a spec stage 3 then spec stage 3+ and they were junk IMO. Hope this helps.

4dr-ls6
05-03-11, 12:18 AM
Hey what did you end up installing on your V???

tweeter81
05-03-11, 11:13 AM
I have the Monster Stage II with 18 lb fw and I absolutely love it. I would highly recommend it.

On another note, you do have to order the C6 Premium package with the chromoly fw (go for the 18 lb, you won't regret it) The driveability is better than stock, the clutch pressure is the same or less, and the holding power is great. You will have some chatter for the first 1500-2000 miles though. It will go away completely if the clutch kit was installed correctly. Also, if Monster hasn't changed the bleeder line, it will have to be bent and worked with a lot to get it to fit your CTS-V.

Whit151
07-21-11, 01:36 AM
I was ready to get to get the Monster clutch, but got canned from my job. I'm still limping around with the stock clutch. By the way, if you know anyone that is looking for a public relations person, please let me know:rolleyes:

AG'S-V
07-24-11, 03:42 PM
Pulled my stock clutch this weekend and it's got plenty of meat at 74k miles if you want it...dropped in a LS7...SMOOTH operation and very happy so far.

heavymetals
07-24-11, 05:57 PM
I will be pulling my Monster probably in Sept.

About 5k mi.

Claimslngr
07-24-11, 11:11 PM
Pulled my Monster with less than 1500 miles, I should ask for a refund.

Koooop
07-24-11, 11:31 PM
LS7 clutch is in. It's cool!

Koooop
07-24-11, 11:33 PM
I will be pulling my Monster probably in Sept.

About 5k mi.

If you need some help, give me a call.

tweeter81
07-25-11, 10:22 AM
I've got about 7000 miles on my Monster Stage 2 and absolutely love it. No issues whatsoever and it holds the power great.

heavymetals
07-25-11, 04:12 PM
If you need some help, give me a call.

Thanks!

After 2-4 months recovering (tweaked my shoulder bad) from the last clutch job, I am gonna take my time, but you can come by and drink beer and watch.......

Koooop
07-25-11, 05:16 PM
Official Beer Opener!

aggie1979
07-27-11, 01:53 AM
I'm in SoCal and have access to a lift. Anyone in the area that needs help let me know. I developed the same vibration and the so called piston slap noise. I will be installing the LS7 kit.

heavymetals
07-27-11, 12:34 PM
I'm in SoCal and have access to a lift. Anyone in the area that needs help let me know. I developed the same vibration and the so called piston slap noise. I will be installing the LS7 kit.

How long will they let you sit the car on the lift?

I am envious.

aggie1979
07-28-11, 12:00 AM
How long will they let you sit the car on the lift?

I am envious.

Until you get the job done. It's about 2 bucks an hour for the lift. I'm doin the clutch on mine next month.