: VCIM / Bluetooth / Lockpick

Top Heavy
03-31-11, 10:21 AM
There are a multitude of threads regarding these components, but I seek more clarity before I order a package to upgrade the lackluster factory head unit / navigation system.

I want to order all I require today to integrate my iPhone to my Escalade. My vehicle is an extension of my office, and I require the unlock of all head unit features. This being said I cannot be away from my vehicle multiple times using the guess and test method for equipment. I need it done once, and done right.

I NEED a bluetooth feature that also seamlessly operates with my phone, I do not want a unit which does not look like it was an add-on or afterthought.

Has anyone used the upgraded VCIM factory unit (2008 Escalade) with the Lockpick GMX550 unit, for daily use without problems?

The response I had received from Costaltech was not stellar, and was a run on sentence which didn't actually anwer my questions. Hence my reason for yet another thread with similar content.

Playdrv4me
03-31-11, 04:06 PM
We really need to make a sticky unifying all this VCIM and LockPick stuff...

Anyway, there are plenty of people here that are using the VCIM with the LockPick without issue. I am using the USA Spec PA-20GM, which is a more bare bones iPod interface, without a single problem with my VCIM. In fact, the coolest part is that when I have the iPhone in the glovebox, playing music through the iPod interface... If a call comes in, the Bluetooth VCIM picks that up, and the iPhone pauses its iPod track as soon as I press the answer button on the Nav screen! Absolutely seamless and flawless. Regardless, I plan on getting a cheap iPod Nano with at least 8GB of storage to just leave in the glovebox permanently so my phone is always at hand when I get into and out of the car (so I don't forget and/or have to reach all the way over to the damn glove box every time).

The LockPick should function identically except that obviously with the lock pick you have all the other crud that it does including the possibility of leaving the Navi unit dial pad permanently enabled while you drive. That means you won't even have to pick up the phone to dial... you just hit your phone button on the front of the radio, it brings up the dial pad, and then as soon as you dial and press to call, everything is automatic. This is why add on bluetooth solutions are garbage by comparison to the VCIM, they would NEVER integrate that well.

The least kluge-y setup is actually the VCIM in combination with the 2010 Nav unit with the USB/iPod input, but that's a different matter entirely.

Top Heavy
03-31-11, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know where I can locate a VCIM from a vendor that will ship to Canada, and what part numbers will work?

krieghoff
03-31-11, 05:00 PM
All this sounds great but when you ask someone which unit fits my 2008 ESV you get answers like, this one might, this one could, not really sure!

When you ask just where you can buy it you get the same answers.

I stopped looking because I couldn't get an answer to the question.

If and when you see them on Ebay they tell you don't order this unless you know it fits your vehicle.

One more question. How the hell do you know that???

Playdrv4me
03-31-11, 09:48 PM
Seriously... for the last time... 20827036.

If you can't find someone to ship it to Canada, then have it shipped to someone in the U.S.. But the information has been given to you a dozen times.

Top Heavy
04-02-11, 11:33 AM
Pludrv4me, the numbers that come up from the dealership are as follows:

vcim # 20783877 - (Bluetooth GM VCIM)
antenna # 15938939

How confident are you in the #20827036 you have provided.

As for shipping it to the US, I guess I could, but I really would rather not. When I buy something I want it shipped to me. As a last resort I would have it shipped to my parent's and have them forward it to me, but we live in a world connected electronically. We also are able to ship almost anything we like to almost any corner of the world, but certain people refuse to.

All I want to do is order a VCIM, an antenna, and a GMX550. Then request it to be shipped to my front door or office.

This isn't a difficult request.

Has anyone in canada purchased through - http://www.gmpartscheap.com/ - Do they ship to Canada? Would they ship a VCIM no questions asked?

Playdrv4me
04-02-11, 10:43 PM
Pludrv4me, the numbers that come up from the dealership are as follows:

vcim # 20783877 - (Bluetooth GM VCIM)
antenna # 15938939

How confident are you in the #20827036 you have provided.

As for shipping it to the US, I guess I could, but I really would rather not. When I buy something I want it shipped to me. As a last resort I would have it shipped to my parent's and have them forward it to me, but we live in a world connected electronically. We also are able to ship almost anything we like to almost any corner of the world, but certain people refuse to.

All I want to do is order a VCIM, an antenna, and a GMX550. Then request it to be shipped to my front door or office.

This isn't a difficult request.

Has anyone in canada purchased through - http://www.gmpartscheap.com/ - Do they ship to Canada? Would they ship a VCIM no questions asked?

I am confident because that is the MODULE I AM USING.

You will NOT have success purchasing the VCIM through any website that carries GM parts new. All of them will be required to provide a core of the VCIM back to GM and if the VINs don't match it won't work. Thus, any vendor that offers to sell you the VCIM, even IF the order goes through, will eventually cancel your order. You MUST purchase the VCIM used or no dice. There are a limited LIMITED few who have had success going to their GM dealer and buying it in person, but 9.99 times out of 10 this will NOT work.

Eventually, someone on Ebay has to be willing to ship theirs to Canada. If not, I guess you Canada guys will just have to use an aftermarket solution or the BlueStar, and that just plain sucks when the VCIM is out there.

mrgoat
06-13-11, 08:53 PM
I just installed the Bluestar 2010 in my 2008 ESV and was disappointed to learn that I lost the factory voice commands. Does the factory vcim with Bluetooth still allow for the radio and navigation commands as well as Bluetooth? If so I'll send back the Bluestar and find a factory vcim. I'm not concerned about losing onstar as I never use it.

ldyoung71
06-22-11, 09:46 AM
I asked the same question....

brentspatriots
06-24-11, 04:06 PM
I went on ebay and bought the vcim module. I had the same issues with people saying, "it may be this...or that" but i got fed up and said oh well i'll buy it on ebay and if its no good, i'll sell it again. I forget who i got it from., as far as im concerned (and i could be wrong, please correct me if im wrong) there are different part #s for these vcim's. Kinda like they are interchangeable. I also couldnt get one from the GM dealer. So in short they are floating around the net, i think i payed $250 or somenthing like that and $25 for the antenna. I took it to the radio install guy and gabve him $40 bucks to do it, it looked easy as hell, i just dont trust myself not to break clips.

as for the performance of the vcim. im not overly impressed. Incoming calls are fine, but voice rec system and outgoing calls via the mic system sucks. It literally takes 45 seconds to a minute to make a simple call through the voice command system. (I have older iphone that cannot link name tags) ie call john smith. I have to say each individual number. So I just dial the number on iphone and its fine. when making a call, Directly on the iphone you can switch between "gm and iphone" which means thru the head unit system or ordinary iphone mode. iphone mode is good when you have passengers or dont wanna talk infront of friends. I also want to get the gmx550 to be able to dial with the head unit but, dont really care that much, i hear the gmx is really clunky and not smooth, not sure if its true or not, but ive gotten used to just dialing out with iphone and when incoming calls come, its simple and easy. Onlyt complain with incoming calls is that when you click "answer" on the cell or head unit it takes about 3 long seconds to click into the call. You'll say, "hello...hello...hello...." and finally the person calling will hear you.