03-31-11, 05:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okg8W3ybb58

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2013-Chevrolet-Malibu-LTZ-009.jpg

We get to see more on April 18th.

http://jesda.com/2011/03/31/teaser-2013-chevy-malibu/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20048887-48.html

Lord Cadillac
03-31-11, 08:04 AM
I like it.. It's not your typical boring mid-size family sedan...

Stingroo
03-31-11, 09:08 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold it. Is this thing RWD?

ThumperPup
03-31-11, 10:04 AM
looks good for a change awesome i know when the rental car companys try to put me in a malibu i always say no dont like them
but that i might try out ones it comes out

C&C
03-31-11, 12:46 PM
Can't tell much yet; appears to be borrowing from the Camaro (not a bad thing). I guess April 18th should give us a whole lot better view. Interesting for sure.

thebigjimsho
03-31-11, 01:12 PM

Shouldn't be. FWD only...

V-Eight
03-31-11, 01:40 PM
Looks spectacular, I'd like to see how it looks in real life though.

Lord Cadillac
03-31-11, 04:20 PM
Nope. FWD.

thebigjimsho
03-31-11, 05:07 PM
Late to the party...

Stingroo
03-31-11, 05:23 PM
Malibu, I am disappoint.

Jesda
03-31-11, 05:32 PM
Malibu should remain FWD since the 2015 (more like 2025 at this rate) Impala/Caprice is going to be RWD.

thebigjimsho
03-31-11, 05:36 PM
Malibu, I am disappoint.
Shove it.:shhh:

JimmyH
03-31-11, 05:51 PM
malibu definitly needs a swift kick in the you know what. the current one is a snooze fest.

not diggin those tail lights though. rice.

orconn
03-31-11, 06:02 PM
Yeah, those taillights are passť already!

JimmyH
03-31-11, 07:24 PM
I am really tired of led. Are there any german cars left on the market that don't slap you in the face with the leds? Enough already. Camaro halos ftw!

Playdrv4me
03-31-11, 11:31 PM
I am really tired of led. Are there any german cars left on the market that don't slap you in the face with the leds? Enough already. Camaro halos ftw!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-EDITION-HEADLIGHTS-2010-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f9ab3f1eQQitemZ30054 1493022QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_6653wt_940

Ohhh yes... this is happening.

JimmyH
03-31-11, 11:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-EDITION-HEADLIGHTS-2010-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f9ab3f1eQQitemZ30054 1493022QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_6653wt_940

Ohhh yes... this is happening.

sheesh, do you think the seller could have posted images any more gigantic?

JimmyH
03-31-11, 11:36 PM
and I don't have a problem with led headlights. it's the ricer strip lights that make we want to :ack:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/10q2/2011_audi_a4_a5_and_q5_get_eight-speed_automatic_transmissions_q5_2.0t_added-car_news/gallery/2011_audi_q7_headlight_and_led_running_lights_28eu ropean_spec_29_photo_54/3612215-1-eng-US/2011_audi_q7_euro_spec_1_cd_gallery.jpg

Playdrv4me
03-31-11, 11:43 PM
and I don't have a problem with led headlights. it's the ricer strip lights that make we want to :ack:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/10q2/2011_audi_a4_a5_and_q5_get_eight-speed_automatic_transmissions_q5_2.0t_added-car_news/gallery/2011_audi_q7_headlight_and_led_running_lights_28eu ropean_spec_29_photo_54/3612215-1-eng-US/2011_audi_q7_euro_spec_1_cd_gallery.jpg

Oh yea no doubt. I love the LED tails on the Escalade specifically because they are just plain old red tinted lenses. Nothing fancy, no altezza style BS. Which is why I'm even more baffled as to how the Yukon tail lights ended up looking like they came from the back of Low Rider magazine.

JimmyH
04-01-11, 01:03 PM
I am not crazy about some of these new taillight designs they are bringing around. For example, the light pipes on the CTS. Sure, they look classy. But you can barely see them. I don't remember specifically what car, but I remember seeing some car with LED taillights and thinking how nearly invisible the light is. Seems kind of dangerous to me. LEDs don't have the same spread that incandescent bulbs have.

Jesda
04-01-11, 03:08 PM
I only hate how bright led tails are. being behind a qx56 is like staring at the sun.

JimmyH
04-01-11, 05:11 PM
some of them are really bright directly behind. get off to a slight angle and you can barely see them.

vincentm
04-01-11, 05:40 PM
4 door, yuck...

thebigjimsho
04-01-11, 11:47 PM
light pipes, FTW!

V-Eight
04-02-11, 01:01 PM

I like the LED strips on new Mercedes.

JimmyH
04-02-11, 04:55 PM
The MB led are not as bad audi, I will admit. But I still dislike them.

I just hope those led taillights are not the only ones. Not that I will likely buy a Malibu, but if I did, I would want to make sure there are standard incandescent housings I could downgrade to.

ga_etc
04-02-11, 05:00 PM
I like the thought of LED lighting. I'm OCD about burnt out lights, so I like knowing that LEDs are supposed to last so long. The LED taillights were the only thing I really liked about that rental Camry. I agree though that some are hard to see if you're off at an angle from the car. They need reflectors around them or something to diffuse the light to more angles. LED headlights, like on the Escalade Platinum, don't make sense to me. For major lighting duty, give me HIDs anytime.

The new Malibu could be impressive in person though.

JimmyH
04-02-11, 05:23 PM
I hope they are using quality leds. I went through my ricer xenon/led phase. I was constantly replacing bulbs that burned out. And they were NOT ebay cheapos.

thebigjimsho
04-02-11, 06:16 PM
I see quite a few nearly brand new DTSs running around with multiple LEDs out...

Playdrv4me
04-02-11, 08:09 PM
Like any technology, LEDs will evolve... But regardless, that's where things are going.

One absolutely cheap and retarded thing GM did to the Escalade... From 2002 to 2006 the CHMSL above the liftgate glass was a beautiful full length LED strip just like the cars have. For whatever reason, GM decided to half assedly, ricerly, ghettoly nix this feature in 2007 and leave the whole plastic strip WITH the reflectors inside, but with LEDs ONLY in the center of the strip!

Perhaps they thought we didn't deserve a whole strip since we got LED tail lamps (though we didn't get the trick reverse LEDs the DTS has). Thanks GM... Keep up the home runs!

orconn
04-02-11, 08:35 PM
Guess they thought that the Escalade buyer was already a big enough sucker that he wouldn't miss those lights!

Stingroo
04-02-11, 08:49 PM
Have cars become so good that all we have to complain about are the number of LEDs they have?

Cadillac owner: My car has 87 LED lights throughout.
Audi owner: Oh really? Mine has 92.
Cadillac owner: Holy shit I got ripped off!

:yawn:

Playdrv4me
04-02-11, 09:46 PM
Have cars become so good that all we have to complain about are the number of LEDs they have?

Don't forget the lack of keyless ignition and adaptive swiveling headlights!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-02-11, 10:06 PM
I really like the new Malibu. From the side it looks like an Audi A5, and from the rear it looks like a Camaro. Hope it turns out as well as the video leads us to believe!

Playdrv4me
04-02-11, 10:10 PM
Guess they thought that the Escalade buyer was already a big enough sucker that he wouldn't miss those lights!

Much like the "beta testers" who bought anything from the N*s first 10 years of existence! :canttalk:

JimmyH
04-03-11, 12:57 AM
Don't forget the lack of keyless ignition and adaptive swiveling headlights!

imo, those are both gimmicks. the adaptive lights were cool in the CTS I had, I will admit it. Do they help night vision? Not even a little.

And I hate keyless ignition almost as much as I hate led strips. Hate. HATE. At least in the cts it was a rotary knob, so it felt like twisting a key.
I don't understand my hatred of pushbutton start. All I know is that I hate it. And I will avoid cars without keys for as long as I possibly can.

Playdrv4me
04-03-11, 01:41 AM
imo, those are both gimmicks. the adaptive lights were cool in the CTS I had, I will admit it. Do they help night vision? Not even a little.

And I hate keyless ignition almost as much as I hate led strips. Hate. HATE. At least in the cts it was a rotary knob, so it felt like twisting a key.
I don't understand my hatred of pushbutton start. All I know is that I hate it. And I will avoid cars without keys for as long as I possibly can.

I can't begin to count the number of times that RF key saved my ass with the LS430 when I was carrying things in my arms or pushing a cart with something fragile etc. After the LS430 was gone I really missed it. The only thing that was weird about the LS430 was that it wasn't quite pushbutton start, it was this weird nub that approximated an ignition switch that you turned. That technology was basically brand new in 2004, so I assume they had not even figured out to just put in a button instead of the nub at that point. Regardless, the ignition portion isn't what I care about, it's the proximity sensor entry that goes along with it.

As for the swiveling headlights, that was more of a joke. I would gladly swap those for something like the power folding third row seat out of the Navigator. Another nice touch because it gave you a completely flat loading floor without having to man handle 90lb of seat out of the back of the truck. Plus it didn't leave the latch holes in the floor to get caught on things. Personally, a lot of those gimmicks might not mean anything individually, but taken together they can make one vehicle edge out another in enjoyment just by a small amount. I mean hell, someone probably thought A/C was a gimmick at some point.

If all one desires is a 1000.00 beater to get to and from work with crank windows, there's plenty of those on every street corner. :rolleyes:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-03-11, 10:27 AM
I don't like keyless ignition either. Plenty of the brand new Nissans and Kias I drive on a daily basis have it, and without needing to put the key in the ignition cylinder, it either sits all jumbled up in your pocket (and they're never small keys) or is sitting in the middle of a cupholder or other area in the center console, making all sorts of noise when you go over bumps or make hard turns.

EChas3
04-03-11, 01:52 PM
The new Malibu looks too small to me. I hope they don't go overboard on the LED's but I do like them.

When it comes to keyless access & ignition, my STS has spoiled me. I love it. It's so quick and easy I doubt I'd buy a daily driver without it.

Playdrv4me
04-03-11, 04:18 PM
The new Malibu looks too small to me. I hope they don't go overboard on the LED's but I do like them.

When it comes to keyless access & ignition, my STS has spoiled me. I love it. It's so quick and easy I doubt I'd buy a daily driver without it.

GM threw everything but the kitchen sink at that car... Keyless ignition, Xenon headlights, 5.1 Channel Bose surround with those nifty speakers in the seats, heating and seat cooling, HUD, the same nav system in my truck 2 years earlier, even adaptive cruise control... All of the features that really drew me to that car (though I never owned one). Which is why it is even more baffling that some of those things were missing 2 years later in the Escalade. STS owners seem happy, and rarely if ever do I hear anyone complain that the car has too many useless features.

JimmyH
04-03-11, 06:38 PM
I know push button is the fad. Call me old-school. But my boss leaves his G running frequently because he forgot to "push the button." a guy used to work for me carpooled with his dad who worked a couple miles away. dropped his dad off one day who had the fob in his pocket. long story short, he had to walk 2 miles to our place because he had the key, and his son had the car :lol: My mom locked her fob in her maxima one day. Don't ask me how. I thought there were safeguards against that. And now, there is the whole repeater trick that car thieves are using.

I realize it's part of progress. I just wonder when we are going to go too far. I know all these toys are fun. But they are $$$ too. I remember when $20000 was an expensive luxury car. You can barely get basic transportation for that now.

Stingroo
04-03-11, 06:50 PM
Fun fact: my car was just under $19k new.

And yeah, I like keys. The keyless everything is annoying to me. I take comfort from the fact that it takes a special kind of idiot to f*ck up a keyed entry lock, and not quite as much for an electrical doohickey to malfunction.

Playdrv4me
04-03-11, 07:11 PM
Fun fact: my car was just under $19k new.

And yeah, I like keys. The keyless everything is annoying to me. I take comfort from the fact that it takes a special kind of idiot to f*ck up a keyed entry lock, and not quite as much for an electrical doohickey to malfunction.

Actually, the ignition block in the N* cars includes an "ingenious" design whereby every major electrical system in the car runs through it. They're known to fail after years of key sets bearing down on the mechanism (weight of key chains and such)... But I do get your point.

Jesda
04-03-11, 07:22 PM
This is why my keychain consists of:

Key
Key fob

ga_etc
04-03-11, 11:35 PM
I don't care for all the pushbutton start either. If people can come up with a way to get your garage door code and have an easy entry point to your house, what makes people think they won't find a way to get the electronic code to your car? I'll keep my key thank you.

Playdrv4me
04-03-11, 11:49 PM
Eh, if they want the car that bad they can have it. With as much as I've paid in insurance premiums over the years, I certainly won't be the one sweating it!

ga_etc
04-03-11, 11:51 PM
This is true, but I'd still like to slow 'em down enough that they might slip up and leave some evidence.

Playdrv4me
04-03-11, 11:54 PM
Thing is, with as long as those systems have been around now (Mercedes Benz introduced this option in 2001 on 2002 models with a credit card transponder you placed in your wallet instead of a "fob"), you would think by this point that would be rampant, but it isn't.

ga_etc
04-04-11, 12:08 AM
You took debate in high school didn't you?

orconn
04-04-11, 12:31 AM
This is why my keychain consists of:

Key
Key fob

Mine too! Same reason!

Jesda
04-04-11, 12:34 AM
You took debate in high school didn't you?

I was team captain.

ga_etc
04-04-11, 12:37 AM
Somehow, this doesn't surprise me.

JimmyH
04-04-11, 12:32 PM
That's why his pants are so nice.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-04-11, 01:57 PM
I agree with the push button thing, but not because of security reasons. The reason is it reminds me of a very ingenious but very backwoods type of mod

A LONG time ago my dad bought a car from a guy who "did all his own work". Apparently the guy had more brains than money. The ignition switch had messed up in the car, it would turn far enough to go into accessory mode (where all the electronics turn on) but not far enough to crank the car. Instead of replacing the switch, he wired in a pushbutton. The procedure to turn the car on was, insert key, turn key to acc, push button, roll out.

I know it works completely differently than this in our new cars, it just reminds me of the ghetto workaround...

I guess ill have to grin and bear it though if i ever get that XLR-V

orconn
04-04-11, 02:51 PM
Both my "64 E-type and '58 XK 150 Jaguars had push button start. You turned the ignition on with the key, waited for the fuel pump to slow and pushed the button to start the engine.

gdwriter
04-04-11, 05:39 PM
My mom locked her fob in her maxima one day. Don't ask me how. I thought there were safeguards against that.The door locks in the Seville won't work if the key is in the ignition whether the car is running or not.

I didn't mind the push-button start in the STS I had in Arizona. But it wasn't until the last day I had the car that I realized I didn't have to hit the key fob to unlock the car; as long as it was in my pocket, I just pulled the door handle, and it unlocked. That's a feature I wouldn't mind having in my next car.

gary88
04-04-11, 06:17 PM
I love keyless start, I can keep my fob in my coat/pocket/wherever and don't have to fumble around pulling it out to unlock the door or trunk either.

JimmyH
04-04-11, 06:55 PM
The door locks in the Seville won't work if the key is in the ignition whether the car is running or not.

I didn't mind the push-button start in the STS I had in Arizona. But it wasn't until the last day I had the car that I realized I didn't have to hit the key fob to unlock the car; as long as it was in my pocket, I just pulled the door handle, and it unlocked. That's a feature I wouldn't mind having in my next car.

What about the remote? My first gen CTS you could lock the doors with the remote with the engine running. The manual version of remote start http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/biggrin.gif

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 12:37 PM
keyless start debate. toolbags.

JimmyH
04-05-11, 02:07 PM
^p00p

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 04:06 PM
tis all.

Lord Cadillac
04-12-11, 03:31 PM
The new Malibu has been moved up a few months. It looks like GM wants to get this car on the streets as quickly as possible. Hopefully that doesn't mean they're rushing things..

Aron9000
04-13-11, 03:47 AM
The new Malibu has been moved up a few months. It looks like GM wants to get this car on the streets as quickly as possible. Hopefully that doesn't mean they're rushing things..

Maybe they actually can rush things out the door and still have a fully tested, quality product. Just saying that there are lot fewer divisions, a lot fewer models than there was 2-3 years ago.

That right there is the proof in the pudding, as to if GM has finally righted its ship. If they can build quality, high tech, competitive products and get them out on the streets before anybody else, then I'd say GM is a market leader.

Stingroo
04-13-11, 09:29 AM

According to what source, exactly? :suspect: :shifty:

DouglasJRizzo
04-13-11, 09:43 AM
Very "Camaro-esque" in many of its style cues including the taillights. Not bad tho, So far so good.

JimmyH
04-13-11, 01:50 PM
The Camaro has had an almost universally positive reception. Probably going to be many Camaro-esque stying cues coming around. otoh, they are "chevy-izing" the 12 camaro's steering wheel. fail.

V-Eight
04-13-11, 05:42 PM
I don't understand why they're rushing a new model for the Malibu when they REALLY need an update for the Impala.

JimmyH
04-13-11, 06:02 PM
Malibu has a farther reach and a larger audience, I would think.

People and fleets buying Impalas are going to buy them no matter what they look like or how they perform. I know five guys who drive Impalas as company cars. They were given no choice.

C&C
04-14-11, 06:38 AM
Here's a leaked photo:
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1058368_2013-chevrolet-malibu-gets-early-web-reveal

Kind of looks like a Cruze on steroids (I like it)

Playdrv4me
04-14-11, 07:08 AM
That's a good looking piece of car... and a convenient "leak" by GM... :suspect:

The troglodytes should appreciate the halogen headlights on this one... :yawn:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-14-11, 08:33 AM
That's a good looking car. Not as smooth and European looking as the current Malibu, but much more aggressive and American looking.

Stingroo
04-14-11, 09:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okg8W3ybb58

I'm gonna say it gets the unofficial Roo seal of approval.

JimmyH
04-14-11, 02:35 PM
sweet.

thebigjimsho
04-14-11, 11:13 PM
I've always liked the current Fusion more than the Malibu. But this make teh JUMP!

Stingroo
04-15-11, 12:48 AM
Indeed. Though I never really found the current Fusion OR Malibu attractive.

Ford's got some catch up in the styling department to do.

JimmyH
04-15-11, 02:08 PM
Fusion is nothing special on the outside. It's what's underneath the skin that counts. Definitely amongst the best handling front-drivers.

Lord Cadillac
04-18-11, 12:25 PM
I like the Fusion.. I think it's currently the nicest mid-size family sedan on the market. Far nicer than the Camry and Accord.. But the Malibu is going to take the cake...
http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2013-chevrolet-malibu-chinese-market-edition_100346695_m.jpg

thebigjimsho
04-18-11, 03:40 PM
That's Thai for awesome.