: Cup Holders

Ramtin
03-31-11, 04:49 AM
I love my Caddy! But something is missing...I keep having to hold my cups in odd places, watching that they don't tip over while I drive. Any suggestions about cup holders? I would love to find something that would fit on the middle bump that sits in front on my bucket seats.

Stingroo
03-31-11, 06:17 AM
Head to the scrap yard and find an armrest from a 93-96 Fleetwood Brougham or a 91-96 Buick Roadmaster.

What color is your interior?

Most practical interior mod ever:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8262/0506191146.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/0506191146.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

outsider
03-31-11, 09:39 AM
:O can you really swap out just the arm rests into the 80's style seats? If so...I need to find me one that matches my interior on my 87!

robb257731
03-31-11, 10:12 AM
I had a cupholder that fit over the hump...I used to see them all the time, but I haven't for awhile now. I had one that matched the grey interior of my 92, but left it with the car when I sold it. When I went out to look for one to match the interior of the 91 I couldn't find them anywhere.

Ramtin
03-31-11, 01:57 PM
Good advice Stingroo! I'll be going to the scrap yard to look for those soon. The color of my interior is velvety blue. As far as the cup holders that go on the hump...that would be great too. Something that you could strap in I would guess.

mjs182004
03-31-11, 02:17 PM
Are you talking about this? I found them at Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Hopkins-Black-console-with-storage-compartment-and-2-adjustable-locking-drink-holders/_/N-25ps?itemIdentifier=266300&_requestid=1049464

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/mjs182004/1991%20Cadillac%20Brougham/winterpics013.jpg

outsider
03-31-11, 03:12 PM
^ I had a cup holder/console thing like that in my 87 when I bought it. The cups always made the thing fall down and spill everywhere so I just threw it away. lol.

Ramtin
03-31-11, 05:45 PM
Thats a good one MJS. I would just be sure to strap it in so I don't have an issue with it falling over. And as far as Stingroo's recommendation above...I still like the look of it. But I just remembered my car has separate seat adjustments for the two seats in front. That would make it pretty difficult to adjust both seats simultaneously so I don't break anything.

Stingroo
03-31-11, 06:24 PM
What do you mean by separate seat adjustments?

FYI: That's my '92 wagon. I don't know how the 80s seats work, or even if they're the same width for the armrest. I'm also not even sure if FWB/RM blue would match, but you could always get some SEM fabric paint and make it match. I have a split bench seat (60/40) and on my setup the armrest is actually attached to the driver's seat. I can't imagine the Cadillacs seats being much different (this is GM, after all).

jayoldschool
03-31-11, 07:47 PM
Some Cadillac seats (like my 81) are 45/45 split. Each front seat has its own skinny armrest. A no-go for the RMW armrest. Definitely swap one in if you have the 60/40 seats, though!

sven914
03-31-11, 08:23 PM
Technically (if you believe Cadillac), you already have cup holders... Ever look at the inside of the glove box door and wonder what those two circle shaped indentations are?

I don't believe Cadillac, so I just got one of those Rubbermaid® cup/cassette holders that fits over the trans hump.

mjs182004
03-31-11, 09:10 PM
I haven't once had it fall over yet:) mostly due to the fact that it is wedged between the seats and the floor. the seats compress it to the floor so it wont even budge a bit.

csbuckn
03-31-11, 11:40 PM
Sting, did you unmount the old one from the bottom of the seat or from the side bolts? That armrest looks wider than whats in my 90.
Jay, is the RMW armrest the popular one?

Stingroo
04-01-11, 01:49 AM
I unmounted from the side bolts. The-Dullahan got it for me at his local scrap yard and sent the bottom bracket with it, in the event it was different.

The RMW and Fleetwood Brougham have the same armrest. I have a tan leather FWB armrest if interested. *cough*.

pompste
04-01-11, 06:29 AM
I had a cupholder that fit over the hump...I used to see them all the time, but I haven't for awhile now. I had one that matched the grey interior of my 92, but left it with the car when I sold it. When I went out to look for one to match the interior of the 91 I couldn't find them anywhere.

I also have a cupholder that fits over the front hump.They are getting harder to find---as well as color options.Seems with automakers drastically reducing the color choices of cars these days,the cupholder makers as well have reduced theirs also---at least in auto parts stores.Maybe more color choices online.

sven914
04-01-11, 11:50 AM
^They don't make them anymore because the RWD is becoming extinct. No transmission hump, no place to put the cup holder tray.

pompste
04-01-11, 01:03 PM
^They don't make them anymore because the RWD is becoming extinct. No transmission hump, no place to put the cup holder tray.

I agree even though with most FWD`s there is still a hump,just smaller and more squared off.My '95 Deville has FWD with a smaller hump and i have a cup holder that fits great on it.My '78 Deville has RWD with of course a larger more rounded hump.

csbuckn
04-01-11, 03:52 PM
Sting, is your tan armrest the same as the one you pictured?

jayoldschool
04-01-11, 05:22 PM
There's a few different kinds. Cadillacs and Roadmasters have the double folding ones like Sting has. They came in cloth and leather. I have those in red, black, and grey (all leather). 95 and 96 Roadmasters got a one piece top armrest with flip out plastic cup holders. This is similar to the earlier Cadillac style that had the single cup holder. I believe you can swap either type of swing out cup holder. Any of the armrests should swap on the 60/40 seat cars.

Stingroo
04-01-11, 09:28 PM
Sting, is your tan armrest the same as the one you pictured?

Yes sir. Same type, but just tan leather.

cadillac kevin
04-01-11, 10:49 PM
didn't caddy offer factory center consoles with cupholders back in the 80's?

Ramtin
04-02-11, 02:58 AM
I dont have the 60/40 bucket seats. Mine is the 45/45, but I would love a cup holder. I'm real surprised cadillac did not do a good job in providing functional ones (not the ones in the glovebox) to their consumers. Still though...wouldn't trade mine for anything.
I thought I read a post a while ago about someone who built their own and mounted in to their car. I wonder what it looked like...

Neil Clarke
04-02-11, 03:02 AM
I have a univeral tunnel mount one too

But that centre armrest one looks the goods

Shame it wouldn't fit a 76 with full bench seat

jayoldschool
04-02-11, 12:36 PM
didn't caddy offer factory center consoles with cupholders back in the 80's?

I don't know what year they started, but the white D'Elegance seats that I got out of a 90-92 have the flip out plastic single cupholder. I have another set of blue D'Elegance seats from a 90-92, but they are in storage and I can't remember if they have a cupholder.

If you check the 80s Cadillac brochures here, you may be able to figure out when the cupholder armrest started:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch1.html

Aron9000
04-03-11, 04:01 AM
All 90-92 cars had a single flip out cupholder. My 91 Regal had the same style armrest and cupholder. The cupholder is a crappy design and broke on both cars. Now I wedge my drink between my legs. I never drank anything in the Brougham that doesn't have a screw top, so its not that big of a deal to me.

jayoldschool
04-03-11, 12:06 PM
You can swap the later two cup style to the earlier one cup armrest. Just the plastic part, you don't need to change the complete armrest.

Daz77
04-03-11, 03:14 PM
Let's get some pictures on this thread. It sounds like I can just order one of those overlays and add the all black cupholder thing that flips out and opens up for two cupholders.

jayoldschool
04-03-11, 09:15 PM
Ok, I'll take some pics this week. I've got at least one of each kind around here...

csbuckn
04-03-11, 09:16 PM
Today, we had a 92 Lincoln towncar in. It had the 45/45 split seats with the single armrests in the middle. They both had single fold out cup holders. Just food for thought. Also, looked like they mounted the same way as the caddy ones...

cadillac kevin
04-04-11, 12:53 AM
hmmm- wonder if a fwd cupholder armrest will work in a full size caddy 60/40 seat. might have to hit the wrecking yard for some research.

brougham_geezer
04-04-11, 07:39 PM
1990 was the first year for cupholders in the armrest for RWD Cadillacs.