: Thinking of a DTS...

bhoppes
03-30-11, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

I currently drive a 2003 Seville SLS and love it, but I would like something a little bigger and can't help but looking at the DTS. It looks great and has some stellar quality ratings, but one thing I would like to get your opinions on is what kind of fuel mileage are you getting? I used to get around 24-25 but I have a tranny code and now I get around 21-22. Can you tell me your average MPG...and anything else that may convince me? :D

Rusty058
03-31-11, 12:20 AM
Now that I don't have to warm the car up so long this past 2 weeks I've gotten 14.5 city & the one trip I took on the highway to Fairfield 27mpg

Lev Blekher
03-31-11, 02:50 AM
Not gonna lie but I have been getting less than 17 average. But I drive it hard and fast and fuel economy is not a concern for this class of car. That's the only "bad" thing.

It definitely serves a different purpose than the Seville. Plush demonstrative luxury instead of sporty luxury. The road presence is incomparable with anything else except maybe an S-class or Rolls Royce, as far as full-size luxury goes.
I can only speak for the performance model since that’s what I have. The engine pulls you away from a stop like a rocket. The MRC suspension is not as soft and bouncy as the classic DeVilles from the 70s-90s, but it still has just enough of that smooth and silky Caddy feel. And ya it does what it’s supposed to do when taking highway bends at 70 mph. Does your current car have the same or is it the base Northstar and suspension?
I experienced really confident control with Stabilitrak and traction this winter, and the ABS really works well for such a tank. For some reason the cruise control does not downshift to keep speed low on a decline, but I’m not sure if I should get mine checked out. The other cruise functions work well. At this point even if you get a 2011 you’ll find the navigation outdated compared to, say the units used in all the new Mopars. But I feel that is a small nuance in the overall big picture. No locking filler door, but I put locking gas caps on both of my cars. From what I understand on my model the wood trim on the steering wheel is real, and the leather is some kind of super-upgraded quality stuff that would leave a tanner wet. I can say it feels awesome to touch and sit on, or whatever else you want to do when the heat is cranked up. All the little things really make the car, like ventilated seats, heat and climate control in the rear, self-leveling suspension, heated wheel, massagers, power-folding mirrors, auto-dimming mirrors, double sun visors. I like using the sun visors to set up a little fort around myself in the front AND on the sides when the sun is at a certain angle. The power rear sunshade is only available on the first few years though. I can write about my car all day so let me know if you have specific questions.

Superjim
03-31-11, 11:26 AM
^^^^ Pretty much what he said. :)
I too have the Performance Sedan.
I have over 95,000 miles on mine and I "STILL" enjoy driving it.
I too drive pretty hard but get around 18/19 in town and 22/23 on the road.
Most of my highway driving is at 80/90.

It is the best handling Front Wheel Drive car I have ever drove.

Texas Jim

Kenwood
03-31-11, 11:44 AM
I'll submit a short answer - congested city, stop and go traffic about 17MPG. Highway will be around 27-28 at 70 to 75 MPH. That ain't too shabby for a V8. Also remember, you can put regular gas in these instead of premium.

TulsaVic
03-31-11, 02:04 PM
No one's come right out and said it, but the numbers speak: You'll get worse mileage with the Performance sedan than the rest of the DTS fleet. It's not the retuning of the engine (higher HP, slightly lower torque) but the transmission shift logic and final drive ratio. At 40mph I'm still in 3rd gear with rpm's running about what they are on the highway at 65 mph. In my daily driving, which is about 50/50 highway and intown I'll average in the 19 -20 mpg range.

Just finished a 2 day rental with a LUX 2 level DTS. Didn't really notice a difference with the engine. But have to say I prefer the MRC suspension of the Performance sedan. The other plus is engine braking. Take your foot off the accelerator in a standard DTS and you'll coast forever. Do the same thing in the Performance sedan and the car will actually start to slow down....

We have a couple of heavyweights in the office (250+) that need space and so when we go out to lunch, I end up driving. First time out with the group, one of the 250 pounders got out of the car and said, "Now THAT's one fine riding automobile."

Superjim
03-31-11, 03:41 PM
Vic,
I had my transmission retuned so that it goes into 4th at 36 and the torque converter will also lock up at 36.
That eliminated one big thing I did not like about the transmission.
I also had the little PAUSE... when it would shift at WOT... eliminated.

What kind of mileage do you get on a road trip?

Texas Jim

TulsaVic
03-31-11, 10:44 PM
Mine will come out of 3rd around 43 mph on a fairly level road. The mileage then jumps from 13 - 15 mpg range to close to 20.

On a drive from Tulsa to SantaFe,NM I averaged 25-26 mpg doing the speed limit. Not too bad really, considering that after 12 hours in the car, I climbed out feeling like I had only just driven to the corner deli.....

Superjim
03-31-11, 11:08 PM
Mine will come out of 3rd around 43 mph on a fairly level road. The mileage then jumps from 13 - 15 mpg range to close to 20.

On a drive from Tulsa to SantaFe,NM I averaged 25-26 mpg doing the speed limit. Not too bad really, considering that after 12 hours in the car, I climbed out feeling like I had only just driven to the corner deli.....

"THAT'S" one of the things I really like about mine. it is the same way. :)

About the transmission...mine was like yours, BEFORE I changed the settings in the Transmission Control Module.
Mine would change at about 42 or so.. "IF" I wasn't giving it much gas.
Now, if I'm not giving it much gas.. it changes at 36.
The guy that originally tuned mine is going to be in Kansas City the last weekend of April...doing a big tune meet.
He travels all over the country tuning GM vehicles.
Just saying...

Texas Jim

Lev Blekher
04-01-11, 02:07 AM
Are these meets strictly for tuning or do they turn into car meets?

Superjim
04-01-11, 09:44 AM
Are these meets strictly for tuning or do they turn into car meets?

A little bit of both...
Sometimes some of the guys know each other from the various forums they are on.
Maybe that have never met in person...
Sometimes several guys all go have lunch ... maybe play with the newly tuned cars and trucks.

But of course...there is "NEVER" any "Contest for Speed" between them. :tisk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It is sometimes a fun thing to go to.
There is another tune meet here in Ft Worth on May 27th thru May 29th.
I will be going to it for a while...just to hang out with some of the guys.

Texas Jim

Lev Blekher
04-01-11, 03:43 PM
Hmm maybe a NYC area meet. What's the website?

Superjim
04-01-11, 04:37 PM
Hmm maybe a NYC area meet. What's the website?

Looks like the closest one to you is in Pittsburgh...the weekend of May13-15...

http://blackbearperformance.com/calendar.asp

Texas Jim

ken615
04-01-11, 11:00 PM
Gas mileage on my 2006 DTS Lux III. My wife and I just returned from our annual pilgrimage to Florida. I put over 4,000 miles on the car in a 2 month period. One-way mileage from northern Virginia to the Tampa area is 970 miles, add a lot of local driving down there and the return trip. For the whole trip I averaged nearly 22mpg. On the highway at roughly 80 mph, the car normally averages around 26.5. Two things I believe result in lower mileage than my previous Caddys: 1. Ethanol is the biggest culprit. In the past I had to buy ethanol-"enriched" gas here in Virginia but could get real gas in the south. No more. Past experience proved that ethanol reduces fuel economy by as much as 2 mpg. 2. My car has the adaptive cruise control option. It's great on the road, but is a lead-foot in accelerating back to the set speed. I'm sure that affects the mileage a little. Overall, not bad mileage for such a luxury cruiser. BTW, I sold my 2003 SLS to get into this one. No regrets.

Lev Blekher
04-02-11, 12:34 AM
Thanks Jim. Kind of far but we'll see if I can take someone along.

Superjim
04-02-11, 01:51 AM
Thanks Jim. Kind of far but we'll see if I can take someone along.

When the time gets closer and if you DO decide to go...let me know and I will send him my tune files.
My car was the first Cadillac he had ever tuned... and I have done some tweaking on it since he tuned it.
It is better now than when it was first tuned... so he can use my files to work off of.

You do realize that you need to sign up a little bit in advance so that he knows who all is going to be there.

Texas Jim

RicktheRealtor
04-02-11, 06:36 PM
Jim,
Does tuning the tranny affect the warranty? Does it put any undue strain on components?

Superjim
04-02-11, 07:50 PM
Jim,
Does tuning the tranny affect the warranty? Does it put any undue strain on components?

I don't think it puts any more strain on the tranny...but that's just my OPINION...
I haven't had any transmission troubles ... yet...and I have 96,000 miles on it.

I would think that if you went in with it tore up pretty good... "AND" if they knew you had modified the shift tables... warranty would probably be denied.

To be on the safe side and JUST IN CASE... when I first had mine tuned, I bought a new TCM and a new ECM and had the tune put on them.
I kept my originals TCM and ECM just in case I needed to reinstall them or in case I didn't like the tune.

They have been in my tool box, wrapped in bubble wrap ever since.
I have never reinstalled the original ones.

It also passes emissions test with flying colors with the tuned modules on it.

Texas Jim

bhoppes
04-03-11, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Now I have it narrowed down to the CTS and the DTS. Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the CTS is the size. The styling is great. I wish it was DTS size, then I would be sold. Also, does anyone know if the CTS has options that the DTS doesn't, such as adaptive lighting? I know the DTS is pretty loaded with options. I know the CTS also doesn't have rear heated seats which I would miss.

rayle
04-08-11, 01:37 PM
We traded in an '08 DTS for an '11 CTS Coupe in November. Gas mileage on the DTS (V8) was about 20 city and 27 highway. The CTS (V6 DI) gets about 14 city and 22 highway.

The only reason we didn't get an '11 DTS is because they changed the headrest in '09 so that it thrusts your head forward. It gave me a headache after only a short drive, so something to consider.

If you are seriously considering a CTS, be sure to test drive one as I've had a lot of problems with mine, the worst being the transmission shifting. Very poor -- sluggish and jerky. But others don't seem to mind theirs, so maybe it's me. My dealer said it is normal and that I'm comparing the CTS to a DTS. Maybe. Anyway, check it out for yourself and decide.

Lev Blekher
04-11-11, 02:40 AM
I was more going to go to see other people and cars. I'm a little weary of getting my car tuned since I spend my time as a student and won't get to mess around after the summer and would not have any money to fix something if it went wrong.