: Check engine light - any way of knowing why w/o going to dealer?

sybersport
03-30-11, 03:22 PM
Just got exhaust and CAI installed, and yesterday my check engine light came on. I'm wondering if there is any way I can determine what the issue is. Oil pressure is fine, oil life at 26%, tire pressure is fine - so the things I can see on the screen appear to be okay.

musclesbmf
03-30-11, 03:36 PM
Just go to your local auto parts store and have them scan it. Takes no time at all. Or you can buy an OBDII scanner, or you can get a W4M/SCT handheld tuner. But there is no DIC display like on the C5's. They even took that away on the C6's.

Mark

newcadman
03-30-11, 05:34 PM
I'm wondering if the mechanic may not have disconnected the battery when he installed your CAI?

FWIW, maybe should try disconnecting the battery and then see if the check engine light comes on again?

connore
03-30-11, 07:35 PM
exhaust leak before the o2 will make a false lean code also a leak in air tube after mass air will give a code

CTSV4now
03-30-11, 07:41 PM
W4M handheld can also read codes?

Ross L
03-30-11, 08:57 PM
Yes, as well as monitor and record data.

CTSV4now
03-30-11, 11:53 PM
Good to know.

baabootoo
03-31-11, 12:04 AM
Is the MAF installed the right way, and seated good? I had to use some V and twist it back and forth in the housing to get it seated right.

garfin
03-31-11, 09:29 AM
Darren,
If you want to drop by, I can read it for you and erase it to see if comes back. If you want to do that and it's convenient , send me a PM.

Best regards,

Elie

Mystical_Ice
03-31-11, 10:04 AM
Hey question - how come our cars don't have oil temperature displays!?

In the V1, when it was cold, i would always keep an eye on the oil temperature, and would only drive 'spirited' once the oil temperature went above 120. :(

Razorecko
03-31-11, 10:44 AM
Clean your maf sensor. If you drove the V w/ the cai for a few miles it might have gotten coated in oil

newcadman
03-31-11, 10:57 AM
Darren,
If you want to drop by, I can read it for you and erase it to see if comes back. If you want to do that and it's convenient , send me a PM.

Best regards,

Elie

Since the dealer installed both the exhaust and the CAI with no voiding of warranty might be best to let them scan it and diagnose the problem since you are going there anyway to have the exhaust checked !