: Too much vehicle for new driver Yes or No?

puddin0103
10-06-04, 01:16 PM
Hello all!
I am new to this site and ...don't hate - a Lexus owner. However, the reason I joined this site is to ask all of you experienced Escalade owners opinions on something.
My daughter :lildevil: will be 16 in 6 months. One of her friends :devil: :devil: has a '99 Escalade with 22" spinner rims and low profile tires (not sure what kind), 3 DVD players and a thumping stereo system and she is DESPERATE to have one of these. I had told her we could put those kind of wheels on the Lexus but she'll have no part of that.
So - first an opinion question...Do you think an Escalade such as the one mentioned above is too much car for a brand new driver?
We have been told by some of the kids that have driven the abovementioned vehicle that the steering has a lot of play in it and the brakes took a long time to stop. I think these are safety issues and do not want her exposed to that so I joined this forum to do some research. I have found lots of great info on here so Thanks, everybody. :thumbsup:
So what does everyone think and why? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

T_Dogg8
10-06-04, 01:20 PM
welcome and can you adopt me??

puddin0103
10-06-04, 01:30 PM
so what do you think - too much????

bigman30685
10-06-04, 01:31 PM
ok i have had a lot of cars in my day and im only 19. I got my license when i was 17, my father bought me a 2003 mercedes c230 k, well i liked it but i wanted a bmw, so i bought a new bmw 330ci, great vehicle but i wanted something different so i bought a porsche cayenne s, AWESOME car but too sportsy for an suv and not enough room for my dj scene, so i bought a escalade. I have had so many cars in less than a year and a half, but having a escalade is very different from every other car i have driven. I have gone from small to giant and i must say bigger is better but beware, she can't drive it like a race car!!! and manuevering can be difficult but it is a very smooth and comfortable ride. i would say yes but no.

Bots12
10-06-04, 01:36 PM
Depends on the driver. I have been driving since I was about 13 so it was not a big deal for me but i am 6'2" but, my mother did not like driving the truck, she claimed of blindspots. I thought this was true atfirst but then relized that you must use the mirrors a lot more then a car. The truck is great and I would never question its quality but for a first car, like I said it depends on the driver, and conditions. If you live in a big city I would say start smaller and take the dings and bumps on a lesser machine. Your daughter might hate me for this. Sorry, the truth hurts.
Matt

T_Dogg8
10-06-04, 01:39 PM
i'd say no. at this point it'd be a waste of money. every new driver will hit the curb a few times and probably ding it up some 'learning their limits', so i'd wait a couple years.

man, any of you want to trade bank accounts?? :)

slimm44
10-06-04, 02:48 PM
i learned on a 95 4 door tahoe (same size as the lade) and it was a bit too much for me. i didn't get into any accidents or anything (besides backing into a couple small moveable objects, lol) but i definately didn't feel secure driving it. i waited an extra 4 months to get my license just so i didn't have to take the driving test in the tahoe (did it in a ford focus). my advice would be to get her a smaller and less heavy car/suv for at least a year, then if she still wants the lade, get it for her then.

Harrison256
10-06-04, 03:04 PM
I'm 16 this car was my first, 2002 Escalade 6.0

SNaray8442
10-06-04, 03:19 PM
Most people would recommend getting something smaller than a full sized SUV, because new drivers aren't as experienced and the size and handling might be a bit too much. Once your daughter gets a bit more mature, and understands an Escalade isn't a sports car and can tip over, she might be able to handle an Escalade. I honestly cannot reccomend something this big for your daughter because the handling is much different from a car and can cause problems. A lot of girls at the local all-girls catholic high school with Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades have rammed into the back of other cars trying to stop. My neighbor is a driving instructor and he tells me that a common problem with new drivers is the inability to judge when to brake, and this problem is amplified with a heavier vehicle.

Suggestion: Get her something smaller for now (not a sports car though, an econobox will be good), let her gain some experience with it, and if she still wants that Escalade in a year when she understands driving much better, go for it.

slk230mb
10-06-04, 03:21 PM
Right when I got my license I got to drive a 2000 Deville, but only after my dad made sure that everything I could do with a car I could do with his 1995 Suburban. Once he was satisified, he let me drive the car. After that lease was up, I got a 2002 Escalade and having experience with the Suburban made the transition from Deville to Escalade a breeze.

Harrison256
10-06-04, 03:25 PM
Haha dont screw her over, she already has a lexus... Dont make him buy her a toyota... Yeah well ive been driving since i was 14 (illegally) *shifts eyes* and I know the cars limits, ive only gotten in one accident... My friend backed into me at a red light.. Don't ask, but it wasnt my fault... And I did hit a mailbox once, I was backing out of a friends drive way (VERY SKINNY) and there was brush on the left side and it was pouring rain and I figured I didnt want to put rutsin his yard so I figured id let the brush hit the car (just some vines) and there was a mailbox behind the fines and it scraped about 1.5 ft side of my car (900$) I still havent fixed that yet.. I was only going 2 mph but my friend had the music on so I couldnt hear the mailbox on the car... But anyways, I've had some interesting experiences and I dunno what this is about brake judging but that has never even been close to an issue for me...But the 6.0 V8 is wayy to tempting.. My avg gas mileage is aotu 9-10

T_Dogg8
10-06-04, 04:09 PM
well i think you just proved our point. an experienced driver can back out of a spot he pulled into with out much trouble. i know i've gotten my EXT through spots no one in my car thought i could, but since i've driven bigger (box trucks) i know how to drive something big. esp. back up. and since you're gas mileage is so low, i would guess you do a ot of heavy acceleration, which almost always means you do a lot of heavy braking. and the fact that your music was so loud and your feel of your truck was so little, that you didn't notice you were dragging across a mailbox. what if that had been a little kid screaming?? or your rear parking assist going off?? i think you've done a good job of proving why you shouldn't have a car that big until you know how to drive it. i would guess a young girl is going to do all that and more (like try to put makeup on while doing all that), so if you're comfortable with all that, by all means buy it for her. just be prepared for the repair bills.

Harrison256
10-06-04, 04:25 PM
No you dont understand its a Circle drive way and the hous across the street was under construction so I used the other end (which they do not trim garden, or mow... either that or run through the middle of their yard... If you wish i could take a picture of the area and you would understand 90% of ppl would of dont he same thing I have (unless they had prior knowledge of that mailbox)

Harrison256
10-06-04, 04:27 PM
well i think you just proved our point. an experienced driver can back out of a spot he pulled into with out much trouble. i know i've gotten my EXT through spots no one in my car thought i could, but since i've driven bigger (box trucks) i know how to drive something big. esp. back up. and since you're gas mileage is so low, i would guess you do a ot of heavy acceleration, which almost always means you do a lot of heavy braking. and the fact that your music was so loud and your feel of your truck was so little, that you didn't notice you were dragging across a mailbox. what if that had been a little kid screaming?? or your rear parking assist going off?? i think you've done a good job of proving why you shouldn't have a car that big until you know how to drive it. i would guess a young girl is going to do all that and more (like try to put makeup on while doing all that), so if you're comfortable with all that, by all means buy it for her. just be prepared for the repair bills.

Shut up Tdog, None said my music was loud it was just on, idiot... IT MADE NO NOISE HARDLY, IT WAS A PLASTIC MAILBOX, damnit you dont even know the story,

"your feel of your truck was so little" did i say that? no so dont put words in my mouth, im glad your proud of your delivery career but that doesnt mena you can be an ******* about it...

slimm44
10-06-04, 04:28 PM
oh, and let her get her fill of crazy driving (street racing or whatnot) with a smaller, less powerful car. i know i did some pretty stupid stuff when i was in high school and if i had something bigger it could have gotten me into more trouble.

blingblingcv
10-06-04, 04:44 PM
I had a QX4 a year before I got my Escalade. That basically made me get a feel of an SUV. I drove my dads Tahoe around, then I decided to get an Escalade. Got a pretty good deal on mine since 9/11 was two weeks before anmd they had all there 0% finance and so on. If she can handle your Tahoe then get the Lac truck. If not let her get experienced. When I first got my Escalade I was real careful and getting used to it. Your daughter must know an Escalade is expensive anmd she will be real careful about driving and where to drive. Good Luck.

notinblue
10-06-04, 05:14 PM
Obviously money is not an issue, so I will just have to say that 80% of new drivers will have an accident before the year is up, and if you dont mind the repair bills out of pocket, so that your insurance premium wont go up for everyone in the family, then get her the truck she wants. Lets face it, if anyone could afford to do something nice for the people they love, they probably would. I can simpathize with your thoughts of whether the vehicle is too larg because it really is, but its also safe. As far as the stopping distance, ...any vehicle with a larger diameter wheel and tire combo will take a bit longer to stop, but they do offer brake upgrades for that. Hope this helps :bonkers:

SNaray8442
10-06-04, 05:22 PM
Obviously money is not an issue, so I will just have to say that 80% of new drivers will have an accident before the year is up, and if you dont mind the repair bills out of pocket, so that your insurance premium wont go up for everyone in the family, then get her the truck she wants. Lets face it, if anyone could afford to do something nice for the people they love, they probably would. I can simpathize with your thoughts of whether the vehicle is too larg because it really is, but its also safe. As far as the stopping distance, ...any vehicle with a larger diameter wheel and tire combo will take a bit longer to stop, but they do offer brake upgrades for that. Hope this helps :bonkers:

safety in a larger SUV can be debateable nowadays

Escalades are built to truck safety standards, which are less safe than car standards. With cars you get crumple zones, more airbags than the Escalade, a higher rollover resistance, and some other things. Technology has evolved over the past 15-20 years, and now its not all about bigger is safer, but more technology and engineering is safer. I think the bigger is safer idea is providing a false sense of security to people today. The car will sacrifice itself for the safety of the driver, so in accidents people see mangled cars, and figure cars are less safer.

notinblue
10-06-04, 05:33 PM
safety in a larger SUV can be debateable nowadays

Escalades are built to truck safety standards, which are less safe than car standards. With cars you get crumple zones, more airbags than the Escalade, a higher rollover resistance, and some other things. Technology has evolved over the past 15-20 years, and now its not all about bigger is safer, but more technology and engineering is safer. I think the bigger is safer idea is providing a false sense of security to people today. The car will sacrifice itself for the safety of the driver, so in accidents people see mangled cars, and figure cars are less safer.

I can only speak for myself being in the towing and recovery business and responding to hundreds of accidents called in by the police, when I say that bigger is definatley safer. That doesn't mean that you couldn't lose your life in one, but it would take a lot more to do so. :bouncy:

RaGzEmCeE
10-06-04, 07:55 PM
alright ... im only 16 and i have a black 04 lade as my car ... honestly it just depends on the drivier ... i am totally fine with this car ... and honestly the car doesnt have the best brakes .... but thats the downside to a big car ... the upside is its much more safer and higher off the ground ..... but about those rims ... I WOULD NOT put those rims on for at least a month or two because i guarantee you your daughter will hit the curb a couple times her first few months

fast66
10-06-04, 08:19 PM
Man there seems to be too much hate in this forum lately.
Get her a volvo and that will solve all your problems. It the safest and the easiest to drive. I've never owned one but they are safe, and the escalade is very hard for inexperencied drivers escpecially if there is a chance of curbing a rim. Also big rims can blow up on you on the highway, so getting a flat on 22's is ALOT harder than your normal wheel base. Also its harder to control a big car on big wheels especially when the road starts to go bumpy.

Hetrain
10-06-04, 08:25 PM
First off, I would love to have you as a father, and wish i did. When i got my learners permit at age 15, I owned my own acura integra. When i got my license abouta year after that, I bought a full sized sedan (chevrolet) which was different then the acura but not a big deal. After that, I bought a Chevrolet Blazer, which was alot different then the cars, and took a while to get used to. I think that if she has experiance with other cars, and driving in general then it should be fine. I know 40 year olds that are scared to drive a hummer because of its size, and the esclade is similar. There are alot of good luxury sedans and smaller suvs out there, any of which you could put 22 or 24 inch sprewells on. Good luck.

hcvone
10-06-04, 08:56 PM
I would not get my 16 year old daughter an Escalade, it's big and for a first car/truck it would be a pain to park, and there would probably be 15 kids jammed into the truck, just too many bad things might happen. JMO

T_Dogg8
10-07-04, 07:32 AM
Shut up Tdog, None said my music was loud it was just on, idiot... IT MADE NO NOISE HARDLY, IT WAS A PLASTIC MAILBOX, damnit you dont even know the story,

"your feel of your truck was so little" did i say that? no so dont put words in my mouth, im glad your proud of your delivery career but that doesnt mena you can be an ******* about it...
i feel so special. you took 2 replies to yell at me :D very mature.

let me get this straight, the music wasn't loud and you did feel it, but still drug it across your truck for 18". if i don't know the story, then what story where you telling?? :hmm: and i didn't have a delivery career, so you can shut up. all i was saying was if you got into that driveway without hitting anything, you can get out. but when you're young and have a big car (i know because i've been there) then you don't know the limits of your car. my brother-in-law was just hit in a parking lot last night because the girl parked beside him didn't know where her front end was. ripped the whole back bumper off his grand am.

don't come and call me an idiot and tell me to shut up. i'm not the one who hit a mailbox :D

Harrison256
10-07-04, 08:37 AM
did i just not tell you that i came in a different way than i came out... god why dont you listen...
I never said i felt it dragging across the car what are you talking about?

Harrison256
10-07-04, 08:40 AM
I would not get my 16 year old daughter an Escalade, it's big and for a first car/truck it would be a pain to park, and there would probably be 15 kids jammed into the truck, just too many bad things might happen. JMO

Yeah you are right, we pack them into the car alot the most ive had is 9 only for a little while, i usually drive with 2 on average and 5-6 on weekends for a day or two

i had to be designated driver and hauled about 8 a couple times on fridays

kook
10-07-04, 08:58 AM
I think its ridiculous for any 16 year old to own anything like an Escalade. One of the problems I see with the youth of today (and I'm still sort of one) is that there is too much of a sense of entitlement. They do not realize how much hard work it generally takes to be successful in the world. What kind of message does it send to a teenager if they are given an Escalade just for turning 16. This is the type of car that should be earned with your own money.

After I turned 16 I got an '87 Honda Accord (8 yrs old at the time) with 124,000 miles on it. I was expecting to have to pay my parents back for it and was shocked when they said that I didn't.

BTW - my parents probably could have afforded to buy my an Escalade too.

T_Dogg8
10-07-04, 09:28 AM
same with me. my parent's could have bought me an escalade, but didn't. i worked my ass off and i still am to afford it. and i also put in 4 years of college where i wasn't making any money (worked to pay for college. my parent's would have paid, but i got a scholarship for my grades, and wanted to be able to graduate with the feeling that my parent's never had to pay a cent) i'm not saying i'm better than anyone because i paid for it on my own, but i do think i appreciate mine more than most people.

i'm just going to stop the argument now because you just don't even get it. maybe someday you will. the whole point was an escalade is a very big vehicle and it's hard for anyone to adjust, but even harder for someone with very little experience. and i'm not even going to touch the fact you said you couldn't go out the one entrance, but apparently came in it?? whatever man.

Harrison256
10-07-04, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=T_Dogg8]same with me. my parent's could have bought me an escalade, but didn't. i worked my ass off and i still am to afford it. and i also put in 4 years of college where i wasn't making any money (worked to pay for college. my parent's would have paid, but i got a scholarship for my grades, and wanted to be able to graduate with the feeling that my parent's never had to pay a cent) i'm not saying i'm better than anyone because i paid for it on my own, but i do think i appreciate mine more than most people.

[\QUOTE]

you just did touch it... ugh... so ignorant... its a narrow dead end street and the house scross the street is being remodeled the way I came in was blocked by 5 or 6 cars lined down the road and we looked for them to move it but 3 of them went to lunch in one car and they were blocking the others from moving

T_Dogg8
10-07-04, 11:39 AM
next time use the right quote and look in the mirror before you call me ignorant and an idiot.

end of arguement on my end.

Harrison256
10-07-04, 11:48 AM
look in the mirror? are you 12... why dont you use your mom jokes too

T_Dogg8
10-07-04, 11:52 AM
look in the mirror? are you 12... why dont you use your mom jokes too

:helpless: :helpless: :thumbsup:

Edahall
10-07-04, 11:57 AM
The real problem with an Escalade and 16 year olds is it has way too much power. Put a block of wood under the accelerator and it will be much safer.

00 STS
10-07-04, 02:18 PM
no offense to anyone here......but what the hell are teenagers driving escalades for....really. even for a used 2002 model, 25,000-30,000 is nothing to sniff at even in today's money. the odds that something will happen because of inexperience are greater than they won't. i'm not bashing anyone here because obviously i don't know what you do, but i wouldn't even consider it if i had a child in the same position. and for those teenagers footing the bill for their escalade, if there are any, wouldn't you rather get an education first? there is always time for that shit later. safety isn't really a vaild argument either......the escalade is not literally the safest vehcile in the world. i would look for something economical to drive, reasonable to insure, and something that will enable her to become a better driver.....who cares what her friends drive. my rant is over now.

Hetrain
10-07-04, 02:23 PM
now after reading all the posts here, I dont think any 16 year old woman should have an escalade. Besides the fact most woman cannot drive well at all (hahahah) having an escalade and being very new to driving is something you shouldnt have. Maybe after a year or so yes, but not at first. Get her a volvo, or mercedes. When i was a kid I worked for what i got, I went though hard times, and drove an acura. give me a break.

T_Dogg8
10-07-04, 03:28 PM
no offense to anyone here......but what the hell are teenagers driving escalades for....really. even for a used 2002 model, 25,000-30,000 is nothing to sniff at even in today's money. the odds that something will happen because of inexperience are greater than they won't. i'm not bashing anyone here because obviously i don't know what you do, but i wouldn't even consider it if i had a child in the same position. and for those teenagers footing the bill for their escalade, if there are any, wouldn't you rather get an education first? there is always time for that shit later. safety isn't really a vaild argument either......the escalade is not literally the safest vehcile in the world. i would look for something economical to drive, reasonable to insure, and something that will enable her to become a better driver.....who cares what her friends drive. my rant is over now.
Amen to that.

MEJIA
10-07-04, 03:36 PM
IMHO I think that if your daughter is a responsible driver, and you have spoken with her regarding the additional risks involved in driving an SUV and what accidents she might be involved I think there is no problem in giving her an SUV (Escalade)
I am 22 years old and Ive been driving SUVS since I was 14. I`ve owned a 1992 Ram Charger, 1999 Cherokee Sport 4.0, 1999 2-dr Tahoe 5.7 Vortec, and 2000 Expedition. Since those days Ive understood the risks of SUV driving. I`ve never been involved in car accidents related to SUVS for example rollovers. I never assisted drivers school, I learned how to drive since I was 6 on an ATV and when I was 12 my father thaught me personally for 2 years.

Just my $.02.

Mejia
:bouncy:

Spittin Game
10-07-04, 07:46 PM
IMO, just the fact that you had to ask this question means that you know she isn't ready for an escalade.

T_Dogg8
10-08-04, 08:00 AM
IMO, just the fact that you had to ask this question means that you know she isn't ready for an escalade.
good point. i didn't even think about that.

notinblue
10-09-04, 01:28 AM
My first car was an 84' Nissan Pulsar N/X bought used, and my fault on the first accident and totaled on the second accident (not my fault). Then I got an 85' Chevy Z-28 used while in High school, Wrecked twice (not my fault) all fixed and still have it with 92,000 miles. She's my baby! :rolleyes:

alexWS6
10-09-04, 01:55 AM
I learned to drive on a 92 Suburban 4x4. If you learn on a tank like that, you can drive/manuever anything. As for her getting an Escalade, sure why not! Just hold off on the magnacharger for a year or two. :thumbsup:

CadiJeff
10-09-04, 02:33 AM
If money is not a problem....I still would not go w/ the escalade, it is too big and could proove to be(w/ friends and accessories) too distracting and would pose a danger to herself and others, my personal suggestion would be to buy her a used cts/late model catera and have her proove her driving skills first over a year or so and limit the damage she could do.

puddin0103
10-10-04, 02:27 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I am sorry a few of you got upset with one another. I had pretty much figured that such a car was too much but was just looking for information before making a decision. Since I had been told so many different things about the safety of the larger wheels and tires, I wanted to make sure my gut feeling was right. So - too bad for :lildevil: , no Escalade for her right now!!!
Thanks again, all!

OCESCALADE
10-11-04, 01:21 AM
That's a big no!