: Alpha Therm Heated Waher Fluid

_ike_
03-29-11, 08:12 PM
I installed this today. It replaces the unit taken from the recall. I got it in within 15 minutes and it works great.

http://www.alphathermusa.com/index.html

Superjim
03-29-11, 08:51 PM
I installed this today. It replaces the unit taken from the recall. I got it in within 15 minutes and it works great.

http://www.alphathermusa.com/index.html

very good...
I probably should let them take mine out (the recall) and then put that one in.

Jim

_ike_
03-29-11, 08:58 PM
A couple of friends have the OEM version in Denalis and have had no problems. Were there a lot of them that caught on fire or was it blown out of proportion?

tedcmiller
03-29-11, 09:47 PM
My wife's 2008 DTS has always had the stock heated washer fluid and has never had a problem. She declined to have it removed.

Be the way, I'm not sure how "washer" got turned into "waher" in the thread title since the "h" and the "s" are not near each other on the keyboard.

Superjim
03-30-11, 09:21 AM
A couple of friends have the OEM version in Denalis and have had no problems. Were there a lot of them that caught on fire or was it blown out of proportion?

I am on another Cadillac board and two large GM truck boards...
Personally, I have not heard of "ANY" that have malfunctioned or caught on fire.
That's why I still have the original one in mine, and have not taken the trouble to have it removed and replaced with the ALphaTherm one.

Jim

Lev Blekher
03-31-11, 02:16 AM
I got mine castrated almost right after I bought it because I was paranoid of anything happening to the car I wanted to get for the past 6 years. I regret it now though. But how do we know these aftermarket units are safe?

I did some snooping and I found that Alpha Therm is actually a restructured version of Micro Heat, the OEM supplier of the part. Might change perception of this device now. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/06/hot-shots-inside-gms-heated-windshield-washer-fire-fiasco/
The article misleads by saying GM did a similar cover-up to Toyota, but the part about the company is confirmed on another thread from a while back: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/202054-recall-all-cadillacs-heated-windshield-washer.html

Tomko
04-10-11, 09:39 PM
Good find Ike!

I never had the recall performed. But maybe now I will and then just slip in this new plug and play replacement.

Thanks,

_ike_
04-15-11, 02:42 PM
If I had the OEM one I would have just kept it. I just learned of a couple more people we know with OEM Heated Fluid with no issues. It doesn't scare me.

Dadillac
05-09-11, 10:42 PM
I just bought my replacement heater. Hopefully it gets here quickly. The heated washer fluid was something I wanted on a car when I first heard about it. Now I can finally have that

Don

StuJac
05-10-11, 08:15 AM
Seriously thinking of doing the same; please let us know how the install went and how it functions. They had removed mine and left behind 3 plugs; did you have the same thing?

grilco
05-10-11, 05:46 PM
Can I install this on a 2010 DTS?

_ike_
05-10-11, 07:01 PM
I do now know anything about the newer DTS.

Installation was easy on my '07 and it works great. I am using washer fluid concentrate from BMW. I had purchased a few bottles when I still had the BMW. I think the heated fluid helps get bugs off of the windshield.

I had two plugs and a mounting bracket left over. One large plug and a smaller one. they matched up perfectly to the alpha therm. I had to take the old heater plugs off as the deler didn't remove them, they just cut the wires.

I also had to route the fluid hose to the heater and back to the hose to the wipers. The kit provides you with hose and fittings to do this. I also ordered the fuse with the kit, the fuse was removed when the oem unit was removed. The fuse is under the hood and easy to put in.

StuJac
05-10-11, 07:08 PM
Thanks ike. I wonder what the third plug that I saw was. Eagerly following this thread. I take it you have to use special fluid.

_ike_
05-10-11, 07:33 PM
i dont use special fluid. I use the fluid concentrate from BMW because that is what I have a supply of. If I didn't have it i would use the blue fluid from the auto parts store.

i do not like the rainx fluid as it leaves a film and makes my wipers skip.

Dadillac
05-11-11, 09:16 PM
My washer heater will arrive tomorrow. Installation will be easy easy easy. Can't wait

Don

Dadillac
05-12-11, 09:01 PM
Received my heater today. I got right to work on it. I found it much easier to remove the connectors from the bracket by removing the bracket from the firewall. The install, including getting tools during several trips, took about 20 minutes. Do yourselves a favor. Have with you a flat blade screwdriver, a razor blade for cutting a small length of the new tubing, and a 10mm ratchet. After the install I tried it out. It works very nicely. Glad that I hooked this up. Now I can't wait for winter :sneaky:

Don

StuJac
05-21-11, 11:46 AM
I ordered mine today from Amazon. I forgot to get the fuse. It's a 60 amp maxi, right? Will his one do?

http://www.amazon.com/American-Terminal-MAX-60-Maxi-Fuses/dp/B001764P2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1305992041&sr=1-1

Superjim
05-21-11, 12:32 PM
Received my heater today. I got right to work on it. I found it much easier to remove the connectors from the bracket by removing the bracket from the firewall. The install, including getting tools during several trips, took about 20 minutes. Do yourselves a favor. Have with you a flat blade screwdriver, a razor blade for cutting a small length of the new tubing, and a 10mm ratchet. After the install I tried it out. It works very nicely. Glad that I hooked this up. Now I can't wait for winter :sneaky:

Don

The "HEATED" washer fluid works great for getting bugs off the windshield.
The regular washer fluid just smears them around... the "HEATED" fluid cleans them real well.

Texas Jim

StuJac
05-21-11, 12:42 PM
I ordered mine today from Amazon. I forgot to get the fuse. It's a 60 amp maxi, right? Will his one do?

http://www.amazon.com/American-Terminal-MAX-60-Maxi-Fuses/dp/B001764P2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1305992041&sr=1-1

Today is stupid day. The one I ordered from Amazon is the one that can be installed in any vehicle. I cancelled that order and ordered direct from Alpha Therm. I got the AT37-GM but didn't notice the drop down menu. I got the one for the Lucerne. Is this the same one or will I be cancelling again and re-ordering? :bomb:

Dadillac
05-21-11, 03:28 PM
I do not know why they give a drop down box for the different models. It is my understanding that the same part number works for all of the cars listed. So it shouldn't matter. The fuse needed is this one
http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/parts/part_detail.cfm?productid=145
I got mine at AutoZone. They should be in all auto parts stores

Don

madusk
05-25-11, 11:57 AM
I purchased and installed one a month ago. works great.

StuJac
05-25-11, 12:02 PM
Did you remove the bracket first or install it with the bracket in place?

Dadillac
05-25-11, 08:29 PM
Did you remove the bracket first or install it with the bracket in place?

The part of installing the pump on the bracket is so easy a caveman can do it. Just snaps in place. I found it easier to remove the bracket so I could unhook the wiring harnesses from the bracket. You need to use a small flat blade screwdriver to unclip them and there is really not enough room with the bracket mounted. Only two 10mm nuts to remove to get the bracket off. Takes no time at all

Don

StuJac
05-25-11, 08:50 PM
Thanks Don. Mine came today. I'll put it in over the weekend.

StuJac
05-28-11, 09:34 AM
Well, it's in and works fine except I broke the top of the fuse. Long story but I put the fuse in the wrong location and while trying to remove it I broke the top. Still works; put electrical tape on the top and ordered a new one. Took about 25 minutes; hardest part was getting the hose connector into the hose from the washer tank. Luckily the dealer had already removed the connectors and just had them laying there.

StuJac
06-04-11, 10:15 AM
I do not know why they give a drop down box for the different models. It is my understanding that the same part number works for all of the cars listed. So it shouldn't matter. The fuse needed is this one
http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/parts/part_detail.cfm?productid=145
I got mine at AutoZone. They should be in all auto parts stores

Don

My fuse came today from CentrevilleTrailer. It is NOT the same size fuse as the one it replaces. It is twice as big. It fits and works but it is not the correct, exact replacement fuse; it stands out as twice as big as the other 60 or similar fuses.

Tomko
10-06-11, 08:07 PM
I just did mine this morning.

It was more complex than I expected. I have a lot of mechanical experience - and have even rebuilt half a dozen carburetors or so in my time. Nevertheless the job took me a good hour or two.

The recall was not done on my car, so I first had to remove the factory fluid heater.

This proved more difficult than I expected. At first I tried to do it with the bracket mounted to the firewall - but I gave in after a while and unbolted the bracket. I broke two pieces of the assembly getting it out, and in the end even cut the wiring harnesses to remove the unit. There's not much space to work in there - and I only wear a size 9 glove. With the assembly removed it was easy to separate the connectors.

The wiring on the replacement was about 2.75 inches longer so this had to be persuaded below the unit.

Also be careful with the grey plastic pieces around the connectors. I broke one very easily, but reused the one from the removed assembly.

Everything is back together now and looks completely factory.

Many thanks to all.

StuJac
10-07-11, 07:49 AM
I thought there was actually nothing wrong with the factory unit; if they never performed the recall are you sure it wasn't operational? Perhaps all they did was remove the fuse. This is confusing; if you still had the original unit you should not have had to do anything but check fuses, etc.

ogbuehi
10-07-11, 10:43 AM
I wish this was possible for the 2011 models. Or at least have the option to get have it on my vehicle.

StuJac
10-07-11, 11:08 AM
The only reason I questioned why he pulled out the factory one and installed the Alpha Therm after market model is because I was under the impression that nobody ever proved the original factory equipped model was defective.

928S
10-07-11, 12:33 PM

I am on another Cadillac board and two large GM truck boards...
Personally, I have not heard of "ANY" that have malfunctioned or caught on fire.
That's why I still have the original one in mine, and have not taken the trouble to have it removed and replaced with the ALphaTherm one.

If I had the OEM one I would have just kept it. I just learned of a couple more people we know with OEM Heated Fluid with no issues. It doesn't scare me.

The only reason I questioned why he pulled out the factory one and installed the Alpha Therm after market model is because I was under the impression that nobody ever proved the original factory equipped model was defective.

Official GM/NHTSA recall documents are public record and available online here: http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=10V240&docType=RCL&fromPublic=true (http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=10V240&docType=RCL&fromPublic=true).

OEM Heated Washer Fluid System risk of fire was minimal (~0.0056% of installed units), but nonetheless recall documents reveal that "four fires are believed to have occurred due to the failure of the [heater module] solder cup. Three of these occurred while the vehicles were unattended." And, reportedly, at least one of those fires damaged or destroyed the vehicle owner’s attached garage and residence.

I agree with others that installation of the redesigned and improved aftermarket AlphaTherm replacement unit is quick and easy if you follow the mfr’s instructions and online demo video. Also before proceeding with installation it might be helpful to read the Recall Bulletin, July 2010, Service Procedure for DTS "Fuse Removal" on pages 7-8 and "Windshield Washer Solvent Heater Removal" on pages 16-21: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2010/V/RCRIT-10V240-3383.pdf.

Superjim
10-07-11, 05:43 PM
Thank you 928S...

Texas Jim

Tomko
10-09-11, 06:10 PM
The only reason I questioned why he pulled out the factory one and installed the Alpha Therm after market model is because I was under the impression that nobody ever proved the original factory equipped model was defective.The Truth About Cars did a fairly extensive investigation. They recommended that owners take action.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/06/gm-heated-washer-fluid-investigation-part-two/

As well, based on Alphatherm's own documentation, the changes made in the revised unit were substantial.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:JhWxRm_IOw4J:alphathermusa.com/files/Comparison_MH35_vs_AT37.pdf+alphatherm+comparison+ mh35&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgIIm5AnVHYEqGDlvlKmkjhrm1M_tDgHc_E4Xkk Wub-Wxd1KOz43wDLsi7dac_GzwnuAXiui22pY6u8--0lyh-8a7opeXjUugqdMUBz-mN_u4b4qjFl-WpMTzYn0DQ4mwyyskyC&sig=AHIEtbSLYhPz0lq0oxQX7RaFTBe4IdCiwA

derekbroerse
10-14-11, 06:09 PM
It looks like a nice setup.

One of the old snowplowing tricks was to wrap your upper rad hose with 1/8" copper tube and push your washer fluid thru that. Low cost, high efficiency. But you don't get the electric's ability to instantly heat while the engine is still cold.

Phatalac
10-18-11, 07:08 PM
any one have this on their DTS? if so does the system use the factory stalk mounted switch to activate the unit?

StuJac
10-18-11, 07:43 PM
Yes; the factory stalk button works as does the on-screen confirmation that heated washers are active. Works great. Uses alot of fluid so I always keep extra fluid.

lucwolf
10-24-11, 12:56 AM
Use mine all the time in the winter. No probs yet. I do not find that it helps bug removal in the summer.