: Indy SCCA joins Indy "V" Meet for April 16/17

V-Guy
03-29-11, 08:35 PM
I am very excited to let everyone know that Indy SCCA has decided to add a specific "Cadillac V" category to its solo track competition being held on April 17, 2011, at Lucas Oil Speedway, in order to support our Indy "V" Meet scheduled for the previous day, April 16, at Rick's Boatyard Cafe (approximately 10 minutes from LOS).

For anyone unfamiliar with LOS, it is the former Indianapolis Raceway Park, which has been the site of incredible road course racing for a long time. Indy SCCA was very excited to learn about our "V" meet on April 16, and they've formally invited us to come over and run at LOS the next day, and they've added a "V" category for that reason. The prices are incredibly reasonable - $45 for non-SSCA members. Plus, you have the opportunity to win the specific "Cadillac V" trophy for quickest time.

Here's a link: http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/Solo%20Ads/2011/PointsEvent_1_04172011.pdf

This is going to be a lot of fun!

randomprecision46
03-29-11, 08:54 PM
:holycrap: I'd like to take the car on a track, but not that one. It is terribly unsafe and the surface is crap. Several places have concrete walls just a few feet from the tracks edge.

V-Guy
03-29-11, 08:57 PM
:holycrap: I'd like to take the car on a track, but not that one. It is terribly unsafe and the surface is crap. Several places have concrete walls just a few feet from the tracks edge.

Aw, come on. That's the reason that it's a solo competition - you're the only car on the track. You can be as safe as you want to be.

Having said that, I have no basis to disagree with you. It just sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to run at that track - which I've been going to for years.

David Dusterberg
03-29-11, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I'm Dave Dusterberg with the Indy Region SCCA. My wife Pauletta is the Solo Chair while I serve on the Board of Directors as the Activities Chair.

The Solo events we hold at LORI are either held in the NHRA Pro-Pits or turns 9 thru 14 of the road course. The portion of the road course we use has good pavement and any barriers are far enough away as not to be any concern. Our course designers are national event caliber so our courses are safe, challenging, and fun. We currently do not hold any events on the full road course.

Solo is a driving competition that puts the emphasis on driving precision as opposed to all out speed. Drivers negotiate a course marked by traffic cones while being timed. Fastest driver who completes the course without knocking over any cones or missing any features of the course is the winner. Solo is a pure speed event yet speeds never exceed 60 mph. So fear not, you'll be able to come, compete, have fun, and go home with your car in the same shape you started the day.

Cheers,
Dave

DDS rollin a CTS
03-29-11, 09:53 PM
I am a member of Indy SCCA and have been autocrossing with them for several years with my regular CTS. I was planning on bringing info about Indy SCCA and autocross to the meet but looks like Guy beat me to it. The idea of a V-specific class sounds great though so thanks!!!

As for concerns about safety, we will NOT be running on the road course. The autocross course will be set up in the large open area in the southwest portion of the property where the "haulers" are parked during drag races. I assure you the course will be designed such that you will have to go out of your way to hit anything harder than a road cone. There may be more than one car on the course at a time, but it is always timed such they they remain a safe distance away from each other so that again to hit something, it would take an intentional act.

So, if you would like to get a leg up on the competition next month you should come out to the season opener this weekend. Heres the flyer: http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/Solo%20Ads/2011/Fun%20Event%20432011.pdf . Go to www.indyscca.org for more info about the club or autocross (also known as "solo") in general. You can also preregister for either event to save a few bucks. If you have any questions about the events or autocross in general please ask and I will do my best to answer.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-29-11, 09:58 PM
Hi,

I'm Dave Dusterberg with the Indy Region SCCA. My wife Pauletta is the Solo Chair while I serve on the Board of Directors as the Activities Chair.

The Solo events we hold at LORI are either held in the NHRA Pro-Pits or turns 9 thru 14 of the road course. The portion of the road course we use has good pavement and any barriers are far enough away as not to be any concern. Our course designers are national event caliber so our courses are safe, challenging, and fun. We currently do not hold any events on the full road course.

Solo is a driving competition that puts the emphasis on driving precision as opposed to all out speed. Drivers negotiate a course marked by traffic cones while being timed. Fastest driver who completes the course without knocking over any cones or missing any features of the course is the winner. Solo is a pure speed event yet speeds never exceed 60 mph. So fear not, you'll be able to come, compete, have fun, and go home with your car in the same shape you started the day.

Cheers,
Dave

Looks like Dave and I were both replying at the same time! Well said Dave!!! Now lets see some V's there this weekend!!!

FYI a stock CTS-V would be in F-stock class. I do not know about where they go if modified but if you need help classing your car let me know and we'll get it figured out.

Indysolochair
03-29-11, 10:00 PM
Hi, My name is Pauletta Dusterberg, I am the 2011 Indy Region Solo Chair. :wave:

The Indy SCCA Region is excited to have the Indy "V" vs. Indy Region :highfive: indyscca.org solo challenge on April 17 at Lucas Oil Raceway. We look forward to meeting you and sharing our passion for cars.

Indysolochair
03-29-11, 10:08 PM
Well said Doc and Dave. Doc, we are going to be using turns 9-14 of the road course for these events. We did the worker invitational in the pro pits last year. But they are having us use part of the road course for these events. Geoff has already designed a great course for this weekend.

Would love to see some of you guys out there this weekend also. Everyone is always welcome. As you well know, we can have lots of fun. Great friends, great cars and lots of fun. See ya there.

Pauletta

V-Guy
03-29-11, 10:41 PM
Dave, doc and Pauletta - thank you so much for clarifying. I apologize that I created the impression that SCCA was going to use the entire road course.

My only excuses are ignorance and enthusiasm!! :bouncy:

randomprecision46
03-30-11, 12:57 AM
Hi,

Cheers,
Dave

Oh, that's great. I had a hot lap scenario playing in my mind. That is good news. Nice to "meet" you two. I'd like to bend your ear about club racing while you're there if I could. I have been wanting to do some type of amateur racing for some time, but just never done it.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-30-11, 10:12 AM
Oh, that's great. I had a hot lap scenario playing in my mind. That is good news. Nice to "meet" you two. I'd like to bend your ear about club racing while you're there if I could. I have been wanting to do some type of amateur racing for some time, but just never done it.

Unfortunately the Indy SCCA road race program is in a bit of a state of limbo right now due to lack of venues to race (hard to believe in Indianapolis I know). For reasons more involved than I have the time or space to explain, there really are no venues in Indiana where the Indy SCCA currently can, and can safely host a road race. We are working on it though and will hopefully have something worked out in the not too distant future. Come find me at the V meet or an SCCA solo event (big guy, silver 07 CTS-V with "section 8 racing" sticker in the back window) and I will get you in touch with Dave so you can talk further, he is definately more of an expert in the area of road racing than I.

Fasciaguy
03-30-11, 11:29 AM
If your a SCCA member from a different area/chapter what is the cost because I am planning to join my local area SCCA and run a few events here?
And I wonder how many guys will stick around for the event on Sunday. I was just planning to come for the day so now I'm torn on getting a hotel and making it a weekend or come for Saturday or Sunday?

DDS rollin a CTS
03-30-11, 11:47 AM
If your a SCCA member from a different area/chapter what is the cost because I am planning to join my local area SCCA and run a few events here?
And I wonder how many guys will stick around for the event on Sunday. I was just planning to come for the day so now I'm torn on getting a hotel and making it a weekend or come for Saturday or Sunday?

The fees are as follows:

All payments are made the day of event.

Pre-registered entrants:
$25.00 SCCA Members
$40.00 for Weekend Members*

Walk up Registration day of event:
$30.00 for SCCA Members
$45.00 for Weekend Members*

*Weekend memberships available onsite at Registration

It does not matter where you currently claim as your "home" club, bring your membership card and you will get the member rate.

I know it adds a bit to the weekend to get a hotel room and eating out for another day but we'd love to have you there. I've been hooked on autocross for 3 years now and cant wait to see how my new V does at it. It will also be nice to have others there with varied levels of experience to compare myself to. Dont worry though if this would be your first time, our club is VERY welcoming to newcommers! Let me know if you have any other questions!

EDIT: I strongly encourage anyone who thinks they even might come on Sunday to preregister. It costs nothing to preregister and you only pay if you end up comming and racing that day.

V-Guy
03-30-11, 06:40 PM

I really hope you stick around too!! After all - the whole idea of combining a "V" meet with a SCCA event was your idea!! After you mentioned that in your PM to me - I went out looking for their schedule, and was lucky enough to discover that Indy SCCA had this solo event scheduled for the day after our meet!!

Thanks, Fasciaguy!!

Guy

Indysolochair
03-30-11, 10:18 PM
Guy,

My only excuses are ignorance and enthusiasm!! You WILL fit in just fine with our group then. :welcome:

V-Guy
03-31-11, 12:06 AM
So Fasciaguy, does this mean that we can nudge you into the "definitely" category for the "V" meet on Saturday???

goat-v
03-31-11, 01:38 AM
Are the any requirement to run on Sunday? Like a helmet or boots or??

V-Guy
03-31-11, 08:02 AM
Paulette told me that we need a helmet, but they have loaners available. (I'm thinking I still need to do some shopping - since I doubt they have a size 8 to fit this melon.)

I also doubt that my beanie motorcycle helmet full of stickers (e.g., "helmet laws suck") would pass inspection, although it does have a DOT sticker too - I know, because I printed it myself! LOL

DDS rollin a CTS
03-31-11, 09:35 AM
Are the any requirement to run on Sunday? Like a helmet or boots or??

From the "Novice Handbook" put together by the Tire Rack:

What to Bring to an Event
This list covers everything from sunscreen to snacks to tires pressure gauges. You will probably come up with your own list of things you need at a Solo event, but this will get you started.

You must have:

•Your car (although you may share a car with someone else) Your entry fee A valid driver's license

You may want to bring:

•Your SCCA membership card, to get a discount on entry fees
•A safety helmet
•Extra air in your tires. Stop at a gas station and fill your tires to approximately 45psi-Front/35psi-Rear for a front-wheel-drive car, or 40psi all around for a rear-wheel-drive car.
•Suitable shoes for driving. The best are light-soled, with a narrow sole which does not stick out past the side of the shoe
•Sunglasses
•Sunscreen
•Clothes appropriate for the weather forecast, plus a change for when the forecast is wrong.
•Rain gear / umbrella
•A hat
•A folding chair
•Thermos of water or other non alcoholic beverage
•Cooler for lunch or snacks
•Windex and paper towels
•A pad and pencil to write down all the advice you'll get
•A copy of the current SCCA Solo II Rule Book
•A good tire pressure gauge
•A portable air tank or compressor
•Chalk or white shoe polish to mark the tires

Full document can be found here: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

We do provide a limited number of "loaner helmets". If youre going to use one of those I highly suggest a bandana or something to protect you from other peoples sweat etc. If you want to bring your own helmet it needs to have Snell rating meeting the most recent two standards (SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2010, M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K98), SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are acceptable.

Basically at a minimum you need yourself, your entry fee, a safe car, and closed toe shoes. I am not sure if food will be available on site and you may not have time to leave to get food so bringing lunch, snacks, and (non alcoholic) drinks is recommended. If you have your own helmet that meets the requirements go ahead and bring it. If you dont have one and this is your first time, just come on out and use one of the loaners, then if you get "hooked" you can spend the money on your own. I also recommend bringing a good tire pressure guage with "bleed" ability and airing up your tires to near their listed max. Many stop at a gas station on their way to the event. I will have a small portable compressor with me. Anyone is free to use it, all you have to do is ask. Finally you will need a way to put numbers on your car. Painters tape is usually provided, but I always bring my own so I dont have to go searching for it. I think thats about it at this point. Looks like my "short list" got a bit long but oh well. Come early to the event so you have time to get set up, registered, and walk the course several times. I will be there early and will be more than happy to walk anyone through the steps.

Hope to see you there!!!

heavymetals
03-31-11, 02:55 PM
Don't tracks require a fire extinguisher anymore?

Maybe that is why I have brackets left over. :banghead:

(cool how I snuck that one in huh?)

DDS rollin a CTS
03-31-11, 02:58 PM

Fire extinguishers are not required. Though we will be using a portion of the road course, this will not be a "track day". We will be navigating a course laid out with road cones and designed to keep speeds below 50mph.

David Dusterberg
03-31-11, 06:46 PM
A note on helmets for our or any SCCA Solo event. The minimum spec is SNELL M2000 or newer. The 'M' stands for motorcycle. So the current legal SNELL ratings are M2000, M2005, and M2010. If you have a helmet, look under the comfort liner for the SNELL sticker.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-31-11, 07:02 PM
Hmm I better check mine, I think it might only be an M95.

Fasciaguy
04-01-11, 04:43 PM
What time does the event start and how long the event lasts as I will still have a 4 hour drive home Sunday?

DDS rollin a CTS
04-01-11, 05:20 PM
What time does the event start and how long the event lasts as I will still have a 4 hour drive home Sunday?

Heres the flyer for the event: http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/Solo%20Ads/2011/PointsEvent_1_04172011.pdf

Registration opens at 7:30, rookie meeting starts at 9, and the first car should be off by 10. We are typically done by 3-4ish but that all depends on the weather, how many cars are there, etc. You can leave earlier than that if your run group and work assignment are done and you dont want to stick around for trophies.

uwood
04-04-11, 09:50 PM
I may be in for this. I am also trying to talk my buddy into taking his C5 and doing a run on Sunday.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-05-11, 01:10 AM
I may be in for this. I am also trying to talk my buddy into taking his C5 and doing a run on Sunday.

That would be great, I think you and your buddy will love it! I also think it would be awesome if we can outnumber the civics or wrx's with good ole america pushrod V8's!

DDS rollin a CTS
04-05-11, 01:42 AM
Heres a video and a few pics to give you guys who havent autocrossed before an idea of what happens. The video is from one of my friends who I used to race against when I drove the 03 CTS. He always beat me. He was faster than me this week too but now that we're in different classes it doesnt matter anymore. ;) I will make sure I have a camera of my own at the next event.

MByX6JgMtJA

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5137/5589990225_21cb1fe84c_z.jpg

More pictures from this photographer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyleroland/sets/72157626305612967/

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n639/gizzmoautocross/Indy%20Region%20Fun%20Event%2004-03-11/Folder%202/DSC_0233.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n639/gizzmoautocross/Indy%20Region%20Fun%20Event%2004-03-11/Folder%202/DSC_0533.jpg

LOTS more from this photographer:
http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n639/gizzmoautocross/Indy%20Region%20Fun%20Event%2004-03-11/Folder%201/
http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n639/gizzmoautocross/Indy%20Region%20Fun%20Event%2004-03-11/Folder%202/

JimmyH
04-05-11, 10:44 AM

infraction for spam issued

DDS rollin a CTS
04-05-11, 11:16 PM
Heres the link for preregistration for the autocross: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/6A40752A-E4BB-A563-01A7B72B20D39A35

I went ahead and preregistered and they had the "V Club Member Special Class" listed as the first option. This is going to be a "run what you brung" class so theres no adjustments made for modifications. That'll save a lot of hassle trying to figure out where some of you guys belong otherwise. Anyways, if anyone has any other questions about the event or autocross in general, dont hesitate to ask!

JimmyH
04-05-11, 11:20 PM
ok, I am trying to register at their website. Next to my vehicle, there is # drop down list going from 1 to 199. It is forcing me to choose one to continue, and I have no idea which number I should choose. Then there is a checklist for preferred work order assignment. I have no idea what any of that means either. Help?

DDS rollin a CTS
04-05-11, 11:29 PM
You'll need to have a number on your car so your times/cones/dnfs can be assigned properly to you. Some people like to have specific numbers so thats why the choice is there, and also your number is "reserved" once you register with it so there wont be 5 cars in the same class with the same number. I recommend picking a number that going to be easy to put on using tape, for instance I am always #7.

As for the worker assignments, that doesnt really matter because I dont think they really use those except for certain positions. Just pick course worker because that's what you'll be doing if its your first time out.

JimmyH
04-05-11, 11:35 PM
I am confused then. When I registered, it asked for three numbers, in order of preference. so I filled in three. then on the next screen, next to my car, it asked for # again. I don't get it.

And they are going to make us work even though we are paying to be in the event? I am not sure how useful I will be :lol:

JimmyH
04-05-11, 11:40 PM
I see you on the registered list. I am there also, I guess I am #1. I see alot of other #1s in other classes. How can there be multiple cars using the same #?

DDS rollin a CTS
04-05-11, 11:45 PM
I am confused then. When I registered, it asked for three numbers, in order of preference. so I filled in three. then on the next screen, next to my car, it asked for # again. I don't get it.

And they are going to make us work even though we are paying to be in the event? I am not sure how useful I will be :lol:

Yeah I dont know whats going on with the number selection thing. I guess just pick your preferred number the second time it asks and see if it lets you continue.

As for working, everybody who participates has to work, its just part of the deal. The participation fee covers expenses such as cones, trophies, insurance for the club to run the event, and site rental. Those last two are expensive. Everyone actually running the event is a volunteer. Also being a course worker is easy. That job mostly consists of running out and setting back up any cones that get hit. Typically there will be 3 heats total. You'll run one, work one, and have one free. Nobody knows which heat they'll be working/running/free until they get there because its determined based on who actually shows up (they try to make all three heats as even as possible as far as number of cars).

DDS rollin a CTS
04-05-11, 11:49 PM
I see you on the registered list. I am there also, I guess I am #1. I see alot of other #1s in other classes. How can there be multiple cars using the same #?

There cant be multiple cars in the same class with the same number. Those others that also have #1 are in different classes so its ok that they have the same number as they'll be differentiated from you based on the class.

JimmyH
04-06-11, 12:01 AM
This is my first time, so it's a learning experience for me.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-06-11, 12:16 AM
This is my first time, so it's a learning experience for me.

No problem! Anyone who is a regular with the club is always willing to lend a hand to a first/second/third etc timer.

David Dusterberg
04-07-11, 07:06 PM
We pride ourselves in being one of the most first time friendly Regions around. Some of our best drivers actually seek out first timers and offer help.

JimmyH
04-07-11, 07:51 PM
I am gonna need gobs of help :D

Indy CTS-V
04-07-11, 10:19 PM
Only mods I have in an intake and catback....I know catback is ok for F Stock class...but does the intake disqualify you for that class or not? Its just a standard K&N unit like many run on these cars.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-09-11, 12:24 PM
UPDATE: Unfortunately for reasons out of our control the autocross event will be moving from LORI to Grissom Air Force Base in Peru, IN. Times and fees will remain the same. I will provide more information as it comes available.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-09-11, 12:26 PM
Only mods I have in an intake and catback....I know catback is ok for F Stock class...but does the intake disqualify you for that class or not? Its just a standard K&N unit like many run on these cars.

Catback is ok for stock class but intake is not. It wont matter for this next event though if you run in the "V class" since we're treating it as "run what u brung".

JimmyH
04-09-11, 01:52 PM
UPDATE: Unfortunately for reasons out of our control the autocross event will be moving from LORI to Grissom Air Force Base in Peru, IN. Times and fees will remain the same. I will provide more information as it comes available.

I saw that email and was wondering about that. Is anyone else getting a hotel room? I wondering where to stay now.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-09-11, 05:01 PM
I was planning on getting a hotel room since things were all going to be right together. Now that the autocross is up in Peru theres not much time advantage for me to stay in Indy vs going home. In any case staying on the north side may now make more sense.

V-Guy
04-09-11, 05:17 PM
True. I think the issue is: when do you wanna do your driving? If I were coming in from out of town and wanted to have a couple beers at Rick's - or wherever we caravan to - I'd want to stay close to there, and drive the hour to Peru the next morning.

On the other hand, if I wanted to do my driving after the meet and wake up close to the autocross, I'd stay up there somewhere.

Just my .$02.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-10-11, 01:59 AM
My thought was that probably Broadripple is the logical place anybody who wants to go out that night will end up. Personally I wont stay out late with a race the next morning, but at that point something around 31 and 465 will be a bit closer than going back down to the Jameson, but it wont be much of a difference. If people are already planning on staying at the Jameson then I'll go ahead and get a room and stay with the group, but if no one else is gonna be there, I'll stay on the north side. And if we dont go out and everyone is heading home at 5 or 6, I'll just cancel the reservation and go home because Peru is about an equal drive from Lafayette or Indy.

V-Guy
04-10-11, 11:02 AM
My thought was that probably Broadripple is the logical place anybody who wants to go out that night will end up. Personally I wont stay out late with a race the next morning, but at that point something around 31 and 465 will be a bit closer than going back down to the Jameson, but it wont be much of a difference. If people are already planning on staying at the Jameson then I'll go ahead and get a room and stay with the group, but if no one else is gonna be there, I'll stay on the north side. And if we dont go out and everyone is heading home at 5 or 6, I'll just cancel the reservation and go home because Peru is about an equal drive from Lafayette or Indy.

That makes perfect sense! The only advantage to the Jameson is that it's close to Rick's (and LORI, when that mattered), but somewhere farther north does make sense if folks aren't going to stay at Rick's for the evening and/or they want to get a head start toward Peru.

I'll be driving home to Zionsville Saturday night, but not until fairly late, if I had to guess.

JimmyH
04-10-11, 10:00 PM
i am not too picky where I stay. I just have to stay somewhere. I am not driving back to Chicago saturday night. I suppose I would prefer to stay somewhere close to indy, and drive to peru in the morning. that gives me time to fully wake up. what time do we need to be there in the morning? it looks like the first meeting does not start until 9am?

DDS rollin a CTS
04-10-11, 10:14 PM
i am not too picky where I stay. I just have to stay somewhere. I am not driving back to Chicago saturday night. I suppose I would prefer to stay somewhere close to indy, and drive to peru in the morning. that gives me time to fully wake up. what time do we need to be there in the morning? it looks like the first meeting does not start until 9am?

Registration closes at 9am and the first car should be off around 10. I'll plan on being there at about 7 when the gates open. You'll want to be there early enough to get registered and walk the course a few times, I would recommend no later than 8. I'll look into hotels there on the north side and let you know.

JimmyH
04-10-11, 10:18 PM
they said the course opens for walking at 7:30, so that is when I planned to get their. assuming I dont oversleep

DDS rollin a CTS
04-13-11, 10:14 PM
Cross your fingers kids! I just checked the weather and they're calling for cool but dry on Sunday. I'd still recommend bringing rain gear just in case. I'd also recommend dressing warmer than you think you need to because Grissom is wide open and it tends to be a bit windy. Finally, anyone who thinks they even just might go to the autocross should go ahead and preregister. You'll save money and time by doing so. That and I'm hoping more than just three or four people are gonna come out and drive thier V like they're supposed to!!!