: Anyone installed just an REQ5 or Cleansweep?

Scooter
03-29-11, 06:32 PM
Like most people here, I'm unhappy with the quality of the Bose stereo in my '07 V. Most people recommend going with the RE-Q5 and an amp and new sub. But has anyone just added an RE-Q5 alone and does it make any difference? I really don't want to dump hundreds of dollars into all this stuff, plus installation.

CancerJCC
03-29-11, 11:40 PM
Like most people here, I'm unhappy with the quality of the Bose stereo in my '07 V. Most people recommend going with the RE-Q5 and an amp and new sub. But has anyone just added an RE-Q5 alone and does it make any difference? I really don't want to dump hundreds of dollars into all this stuff, plus installation.

One post since 2005. :worship:

And no I have no pertinent information for you, sorry. I looked at adding a carpc not long ago but the cost rose to a level I wasn't comfortable with. (HP Mod level haha)

odla
03-30-11, 08:04 AM
i have a 360.2. it made the stock system way better. You can adjust everything on a pc or palm device. It really cleans the signal.

Scooter
03-30-11, 10:39 AM
Thank you Odla for your feedback.

CancerJCC, your point regarding my number of posts since 2005 is?

odla
03-30-11, 11:48 AM
btw i think the 360.2 is more $$$ but worth it.

calidave
03-31-11, 06:36 AM
I've got an RE-Q5, and I love it.. but what I'd like to know is how you plan to add JUST the RE-Q5? It takes the high input signal post-Bose amp, restores the low frequencies, and puts out a low-level signal. You're going to need an amplifier.. and I wouldn't want to add an amp to the stock Bose 10". There's a reason the Bose system does what it does, hence the need for the summing device for aftermarket systems.

Scooter
03-31-11, 11:46 PM
I see what you're saying, the RE-Q5 has only RCA outs. Perhaps thats why most people add a sub and an amp at the same time. I was just hoping there was a way to improve the audio with less than a $200-$400 investment.

AAIIIC
04-01-11, 02:08 PM
So what do "most people" not like about the Bose system? :confused:

vmoving
04-01-11, 03:05 PM

+1, I think it does a fine job. Although the Harmon Kardon in the AMG was was better.

Scooter
04-01-11, 05:10 PM
my system is brutal, especially when compared to my wife's Touareg with the monsoon system. Sometimes I check to see if my sub is even hooked up because I hear no bass.

calidave
04-01-11, 05:55 PM

For me, there just wasn't enough low end. The mids and the highs are tolerable.. but I'm a bit of an audiophile.

AAIIIC
04-01-11, 06:54 PM
Got it. I'm far from an audiophile, and the stereo in the V is the best thing I've ever had. I've seen other threads about it, but never bothered to read any of them, so I was just wondering what it was that people didn't like.

Aurora40
04-01-11, 07:43 PM

Maybe I have mine set up wrong or something, but all the low end washes out when the stereo gets louder, like with the sunroof open or the windows down. It sounds great at low volume levels, but goes downhill from there.

I'm no audiophile either, I thought the Bose in my Aurora was great. The V sounds worse to my ear though when I changed cars.

EdmundGTP
04-01-11, 07:49 PM
The way the Bose sub is set up, it relies heavily on cabin pressurization to produce strong audible bass. So basically when you pop the sunroof or drop your windows, your bass response goes through the floor. The other thing working against the Bose set up, is that they're typically set up to be bass heavy at lower volumes, and the bass level is attenuated noticeably as you turn the volume higher. Eventually it gets to a point where the low frequencies are almost drowned out completely by the mids and highs. Hence the reason behind that RE-Q device and the other EQ tools mentioned. If you simply hook an amp up to the subwoofer leads, all you do is amplify the crappy bose equalizing and leveling.