: 2000 Catera mystery tube

Lewis Rolen
03-28-11, 12:34 PM
I'm just finishing up,putting the intake plenum back on,and just to the rightof the four hoses that plug into the back of the plenum is a hard black plastic tube, that comes up from the passenger side bottom, then swings over beside the rubber tubes that go into the plenum, where does it go and what is it??

catera00
03-29-11, 07:34 PM
is it a small vacuum tube? If so it probably connects to a U shaped rubber fitting on the back driver's side of the plenum

hijiliak
04-01-11, 10:24 AM
I recently replaced the engine coolant temperature sensor and sender (below the intake manifold and to the back of the engine), and I too saw this same black hard plastic tube in the same area as the 4 hoses you speak of. Im sure I didnt disconnect it from anywhere... I looked and looked and looked, to what it may conect to AND didnt see anything! I have no idea. I'll check back later, hopefully we can figure this out.

I'm just finishing up,putting the intake plenum back on,and just to the rightof the four hoses that plug into the back of the plenum is a hard black plastic tube, that comes up from the passenger side bottom, then swings over beside the rubber tubes that go into the plenum, where does it go and what is it??

01Cat
04-02-11, 08:55 PM
Hi, I'm pretty sure the tube you are referring to is a vent/overflow for the tranny and does not go anywhere, it's right where it's supposed to be.

klm
04-03-11, 08:30 AM
yes, that's correct. It's a vent tube. Drove me crazy 1st time too.

hijiliak
04-03-11, 04:07 PM
Id have to agree. On Friday I (again) took apart the manifold/plenum business to locate THAT black hard plastic tube and with the help of someone else-- they wiggled the tube while I was under the car, and followed it to the top of the tranny box-- So I too am convinced its an air breather/vent for the tranny.

I find this very strange that there is no tranny fluid gauge/dipstick or compartment under the hood. How do I check the tranny fluid-- or know if its full enough, because it seems when the engine PSI gauge on the dashboard drops below 30-40psi, I lose power steering control (its harder to turn the steering wheeel). However at a higher 40-70 psi I have full power steering control.

Hi, I'm pretty sure the tube you are referring to is a vent/overflow for the tranny and does not go anywhere, it's right where it's supposed to be.

01Cat
04-15-11, 04:50 PM
You have to check the tranny fluid from underneath while the trans is warm and the car is running up on a lift. You open the inspection port and if you can touch fluid with the tip of your finger, it's fine. Under normal conditions with no towing the unit is designed to be maintenance free for 100k miles. Unless you see fluid dripping on the ground where it was parked, you should have no problems. Just think how much trouble and money it has saved a few owners from adding too much or the wrong kind etc...

The oil pressure has nothing to do with the power steering other than both are affected by the rpm.