: What do you use to clean water stains on the windshield?

algiorda
03-28-11, 07:22 AM
I've been struggling with water stains on my windshield after I hand wash my car. I haven't tried to clean it with anything else other than Windex, but it does not clean the water stains off. I make sure to keep the windshield wet and then wipe down dry with a chamois and I still get water marks.

Should I use vinegar, ammonia, something else to clean the windshield?

Smokin' SRX
03-28-11, 09:32 AM
I use Invisible Glass. Both inside and out. I've heard of this on other new cars. Rain-X may work to keep it clean afterwards... Be sure and clean the wiper blades also! Very important.

One guy here had the Dealer power buff it when he was out of ideas. Worked well.

SS

Marc NY
03-28-11, 11:00 AM
Here's my suggestion:

1. Get some extra fine (000 or 0000 grade) steel wool.

2. Sprinkle a little baby powder on it (this absorbs any silicone that may be on the window).

3. Put down a drop cloth to catch any droppings.

4. Rub the steel wool in a circular motion on the affected area.

Don't worry about scratching the glass if you use fine grade steel wool. Do not use 00 or 0 grade steel wool as this is too abrasive for glass.

NOTE: I saw professional car detail people at the Buffalo Auto show last year using the 0000 steel wool to clean all the brand new vehicles glass windshields.

That should do the trick!

stevec5375
03-28-11, 01:14 PM
I use Invisible Glass. Both inside and out. I've heard of this on other new cars. Rain-X may work to keep it clean afterwards... Be sure and clean the wiper blades also! Very important.

One guy here had the Dealer power buff it when he was out of ideas. Worked well.

SS

I use an Invisible Glass Reach (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017K69MA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FHG9ATVHJVYW8J06CGZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846) tool with Invisible Glass (http://www.amazon.com/Stoner-92166-Invisible-Windshield-Cleaner/dp/B000M3V95U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301332189&sr=8-2) cleaner on the inside and outside and don't every see any water spots.

I also use Rain-X Glass Cleaner Plus Rain Repellent (http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-5071268-Glass-Cleaner-Repellent/dp/B000NWJJLG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301332249&sr=1-1) on occasion on all exterior glass.

Ponyman
03-28-11, 01:50 PM
Invisible glass by Stoner is good stuff. A lot of the old and antique car owners use it. In fact all the Stoner products, and there are many are very good.

C&C
03-29-11, 05:26 AM
If you have stains that aren't removed with window cleaner, you can use either BonAmi or Bartenders Friend (both are a powdered cleansor) that will not scratch glass but will cut all the way back to the glass. After the treatment, I would then apply Rain-X, and after that, maintain with Invisible Glass (by Stoner).

algiorda
03-29-11, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Does anyone know if Stoner products are carried at Autozone or other fine auto stores?

I have been wanting to treat my glass with Rain-x since I purchase the car, but I can't seem to get the glass clean enough prior to treatment and didn't want to treat dirty glass. I'm a little hesitant to use an abrasive on the glass; i'm worried about creating a haze from the sun.

I guess I'll try Stoner and if that doesn't help i'll use a very fine abrasive.

Ponyman
03-29-11, 07:46 AM
O'Reillys usually has the Stoner invisible glass as does Walmart. Also they both usually carry the Stoner more Shine tire enhancer. Other Stoner products can be ordered from their website, and they will let you mix products to gt a case discount.

22velocity
03-29-11, 09:31 AM
Algiorda, just my thoughts, I have been detailing cars for just over 50 years. I got away from using Rain-x several years ago because it has silicones in it and causes smearing on the glass. What I have found works best is 0000 steel wool in back and forth not circular motions if there is a light film on the glass I use a clay bar. Next step, PPG industries makes a product called Aquapel, It lasts up to a year, beads water very good and does not smear. I follow up on regular cleaning with stoners invisible glass. The side windows and back glass I use Zaino Z2 sealant. You will notice that when you dry your glass after using the above treatment, it drys real easy. Frank

Marc NY
03-29-11, 11:13 AM
Algiorda, just my thoughts, I have been detailing cars for just over 50 years. I got away from using Rain-x several years ago because it has silicones in it and causes smearing on the glass. What I have found works best is 0000 steel wool in back and forth not circular motions if there is a light film on the glass I use a clay bar. Next step, PPG industries makes a product called Aquapel, It lasts up to a year, beads water very good and does not smear. I follow up on regular cleaning with stoners invisible glass. The side windows and back glass I use Zaino Z2 sealant. You will notice that when you dry your glass after using the above treatment, it drys real easy. FrankThat's good to know... back and forth with the 0000 steel wool not circular motion and I never thought of using a clay bar too. I have to admit I never heard of Stoner's Invisible glass before, I will need to try and locate some.

Smokin' SRX
03-30-11, 08:27 PM
Baby powder and steel wool! You should see my neighbors face!! Damn I love this Forum!!! LOL

SS

imnutz66
04-01-11, 12:33 PM
I've used a paste made out of baking soda - for the people that use steel wool, how do you keep the bits out of the cracks and crevices where it will sit and rust??

ccclarke
04-01-11, 03:51 PM
Steel wool, baby powder, RainX, elbow grease . . . --who has time to deal with all of that? Want to use one product with a cotton towel to wipe off the hardest water stains without breaking a sweat? Try Zaino's glass polish. I have yet to find an easier-to-use product. You just rub it on with a supplied cotton pad, (--lightly, remember the whole point is to not perspire) let it dry, and use the towel to wipe it off. No residue, no polishing effort --just crystal-clear glass. One bottle will last years.

CC

algiorda
04-04-11, 07:23 AM
Well, I bought and tried Stoners Invisible glass over the weekend and it really did not make much of a difference at all. I didn't see any difference between Stoners and Windex, to tell you the truth. I did notice when I sprayed it on the windshield, it did not want to adhere and sort of beaded up. My car was treated new with a product called Xilon. I wonder if that material is causing my windshield to either attract water spots and/or cause a haze.

I don't know what a CLAY bar is (where do I purchase that?) and I haven't tried the Baby Powder (Never thought I would purchase that again!) and the steel wool. I guess I'm going to have to tread in new territory as this is all new to me. I just want to clean my windshield! LOL