: Rear diff..... 58k?

Night Wolf
10-06-04, 12:51 AM
this is an older pic (a month ago?) I ptu my car on ramps just to check things out underneath.... looks like the muffler has been replaced before (clamped, not welded) and all 4 shocks, as they are all yellow...

... but I noticed 58k is written on the rear end... my car has 86k miles on it now...(84k when I bought it) does anyone think this could be a differnt rear form a junkyard? or is it just some kind of lettering on it? there are no recipts from a junkyar,d nor anything that would lead up to a bad rear end... this made me think though...

FASSTWOOD
10-06-04, 12:56 AM
My dad used to do something like with a white marker He would write the mileage he serviced some thing at Eg: LOF44k which meant he had changed the oil filter at 47,000 miles.

evilrussian
10-06-04, 12:57 AM
Someone might have just changed the gear lube at 58k, just a thought...

Night Wolf
10-06-04, 01:11 AM
oh..... heh... I never even thought about that, but it makes perfect sense now....

... I noticed there are 2 drain plugs on the diff.... I assume the top is the check level/add and bottom is the drain? how can I make sure there is enough oil in it, and then add some.. I am sure over the years and miles some may have leaked out (as it appears) in the manual it says to use 80W-90 gear oil in the rear diff....

FASSTWOOD
10-06-04, 01:15 AM
It almost has 30k on it. Just replace it. Fill it until it start coming out of the top hole. I recommend a jiffy lube or something of that sort. I'm lazy...

Night Wolf
10-06-04, 01:55 AM
judging by the service records, 58k was somewhere between '92-'95....

I may just bring it to a lube place... how much do you think it will cost to get the oil changed?