: Cooled seats

Mystical_Ice
03-28-11, 03:22 AM
Question -
I've driven Lexus and Mercedes sedans with cooled seats, and you can hover your hand over the seats and FEEL the cold air getting blown through them.

On these recaros, i swear, unless i look at the panel, i can't tell if the seats are being cooled or not. you can BARELY feel anything.

Is that just an issue with my car? Or does everyoen else have the same probleM?

sybersport
03-28-11, 03:45 AM
I believe our seats have fans that pull the air through, not push it out. So you wouldn't feel any airflow

03Z06Vette
03-28-11, 08:59 AM
My Mercedes seats don't cool that well. But, my Recaro's seem to cool a lot better. Plus the A/C works a lot better in the V compared to the MB. Next time you have the cooled seats on, lean forward a little and you can hear the air going through the seats! At least I can...

Domsz06
03-28-11, 09:51 AM
I can hear and feel mine...

garfin
03-28-11, 09:53 AM
I believe our seats are "ventilated", meaning air is circulated through them as opposed to "cooled" seats which actually make use of the car's A/C system to chill the seats. The seats in the DTS may actually use the A/C... not 100% sure though.

Best regards,

Elie

ecorpuz12
03-28-11, 09:54 AM
i can hear and feel mine as well. i wish they circulated cooled air from the A/C though.

Torxila
03-28-11, 12:39 PM
I can't hear mine, but can sure feel them. I have to turn them down to low position. I'm a "Sweat-Hog" and they make me totally comfortable. I have a '11 coupe.

I'd get yours checked out.
George

SleepTight
03-28-11, 12:50 PM
As several people mentioned, the cooled seats "pull" air through rather than "pushing" air out. The cooling of the seats and the A/C in the V are as good as anything out there. Trust me, I've sat in everything else you could think of on a hot day.

elphil
03-28-11, 01:41 PM
My last three Ford products, Explorer, and two Lincolns had air conditioned front seats. Not just ventilated, but air conditioned. I went with standard seats in my standard CTS Wagon last year and got ventilated seats. Went with standard seats in my current CTS-V Wagon and got heated seats. Not even ventilated, let alone air conditioned. Hey, I live in Arizona where it's over 100 degrees five months out of the year. I know, I should have got the Recaro seats just to get a little air blown on my butt.

baabootoo
03-28-11, 02:52 PM
On a hot day, if you can't feel the coolness within a minute, there's something wrong with yours. You should feel it on your lower back quite easily. Forget about the hand/fan method, that's old school.

shade
03-28-11, 03:46 PM
My Mercedes seats don't cool that well. But, my Recaro's seem to cool a lot better. Plus the A/C works a lot better in the V compared to the MB. Next time you have the cooled seats on, lean forward a little and you can hear the air going through the seats! At least I can...

Really you think the A/C is that good? Interesting I also live in a hot climate (AZ) and think its mediocre. I've had it checked and all is well, it gets to 45 degrees driving but turning the AC on after driving then shutting down.... AC doesnt cool down so fast. I think its due to the small condensor.

I tried having a vendor fab up a bigger replacement but they saw no gain from it. Now my 300srt8 that thing got ice cold when it was 115 out.

Mystical_Ice
03-28-11, 03:46 PM
yeah there's got tobe an issue with mine.

thankfully it's in the dealership already, so i'll just call them and tell them to add it to their laundry list of items to fix. sigh.

Mystical_Ice
03-28-11, 03:47 PM
I think the A/C in this car is one of the worst of any car i've ever owned

shade
03-28-11, 04:03 PM
I think the A/C in this car is one of the worst of any car i've ever owned

Agreed unfortunately. I did notice in the stock tune when the A/C is turned on the fans dont turn on full high until the AC Pressure hits like some ungodly sky high amount. I had the tuner turn the fans on much quicker when the AC is on - this may help a little with the poor AC.

tedcmiller
03-28-11, 04:37 PM
The standard CTS-V has no "cooled" seats - only heated seats. If you have Recaros, I don't know.

garfin: You would be wrong. The DTS does not use the AC system for cooling the seats. Heating and cooling are provided on these seats by a solid state module (change of current direction in module to go from heating to cooling) and fans. The vehicle AC is not envolved.

garfin
03-28-11, 06:49 PM
The standard CTS-V has no "cooled" seats - only heated seats. If you have Recaros, I don't know.

garfin: You would be wrong. The DTS does not use the AC system for cooling the seats. Heating and cooling are provided on these seats by a solid state module (change of current direction in module to go from heating to cooling) and fans. The vehicle AC is not envolved.

Thanks! Good to know! (now you know why I said I wasn't sure :shhh:)

... so is there another source used for the cooling of those seats by way of the module, in addition to the ventilation resulting from the fan circulating the air around?
I'm trying to determine what, if any difference there is between ventilated seats (fan only) and "cooled" seats (use of an actual cooling source in addition to a fan).
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Elie

tedcmiller
03-29-11, 12:19 AM
Yes, garfin, there is a difference between ventilated and cooled seats. The standard CTS-V has ventilated seats and heated seats (electrical heating element in the seat), but no cooled seats. The standard CTS-V has no fans or modules in the seats. It does have the holes in the seats that provide the ventilation. As I said before, Recaros might be different - I don't know.

EricVonHa
03-29-11, 01:50 AM
You guys crack me up. Would someone please take a thermometer.... Place it on the seat... Turn on the seat ventilator or cooler.... And tell us what the real answer is?!

GM-4-LIFE
03-29-11, 02:15 AM
The Recaro seats don't have seat coolers, they have seat fans. They simply ventilate with fans, they don't actually have integrated air conditioning.

RafCon
03-29-11, 02:35 AM
A picture to show you what is inside of those seats. I took this at the V Series Academy day I attended.

See picture in next post (uploaded from TapaTalk and it was too small...)

RafCon
03-29-11, 02:50 AM
Uploading to Flickr so it will be larger and more clear.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5570033809_a7b5cc63f5_b.jpg

tedcmiller
03-29-11, 04:47 PM
No thermometers required. EricVonHa, you have the correct answer. The standard CTS-V seats are not cooled (only heated). They have no fans and no modules. They do have the ventilation holes.

garfin
03-29-11, 11:01 PM
Thank you to all for the info, explanations and pics!
Much appreciated!

Best regards,

Elie

hulksdaddy
03-29-11, 11:43 PM
Uploading to Flickr so it will be larger and more clear.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5570033809_a7b5cc63f5_b.jpg

This looks like "Terminator Recaro"....

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt64/Deltaforce787/terminatorSmiley.gif

Playdrv4me
03-30-11, 06:46 AM
It's always been my understanding that "cooled" seats has always been a misnomer, and that ALL so called "cooled" seats are simply the clever effect of pulling ambient cabin air through the ventilation holes by way of those fans (which are quite loud in the Escalade if idling with no outside noise). I certainly don't remember the "cooled" seats in my Navigator being much better than the 'Lade, and the LS430 ones were absolutely worthless (didn't cool my back at all, which is what I care about).

thebigjimsho
03-30-11, 11:19 PM
The Recaros when ventilating cool me down just fine...

FFBOS
03-30-11, 11:27 PM
In mine I feel more on the back than I do in the bottom. It feels like almost nothing is coming from the bottom, normal?