: "New Cadillac Ownder" A few issues.

Kadillac Kreem
03-27-11, 10:56 PM
Hi guy's, new to this Cadillac Forum. I am glad to be here, I recently purchased a used 2005 Cadillac STS V8. So it has been around three months now since purchase and I have two minor issue at the moment. My car is has a minor oil leak and it appears to be coming from the timing cover. Looking at the motor its on the left hand side. I also have a suspension issue, coming from the driver rear. Getting a thunk noise when I go over bump etc. Just curious to know what would a price estimate look like for each of these issues and difficulty on replacing a oil seal etc?

Regards,

Kadillac Kreem.

Lifer
03-28-11, 10:36 AM
The "thunk" is a shock going dry. A front one should run about $1,000 if you have the MRC shocks. Not sure about the rear. If it is out of warranty, for safety reasons, you should change both sides at the same time.

STS Serge 172
03-28-11, 03:58 PM
I get that same "thunk" from my shocks!

I'm under warranty, I should take it in. Bump for info!

Kadillac Kreem
03-30-11, 08:59 PM
How do I determine if my car has MRC shocks?

SlickCityStan
03-30-11, 09:53 PM
How do I determine if my car has MRC shocks?You can check the build code sticker in your trunk and look for FE3 and look at the top of your shocks and if you see an electrical connector with a wire leaving this would indicate MRC shocks are installed

Neutrocuted
03-31-11, 12:18 AM
How do I determine if my car has MRC shocks?

Or, I think if you have to have nav, press the config button and if on the lower right side of your screen you can select "Touring" or "Performance" you have MRC.

Do you have to have Nav to have MRC????

turnne
03-31-11, 08:02 AM

Do you have to have Nav to have MRC????

I would think you do
Nav and MRC were both part of packages

I would say ..if anything you could have Nav and not have MRC....

I personally have never seen a V8 that had MRC that didn't have Nav

Warren

EChas3
03-31-11, 10:01 PM
^^^ Right! MRC is relatively rare. The Performance option is a few menus deep on early Nav firmware levels. Many members prefer not to have this option because of the high cost of replacement shocks. IMHO, I want all the toys; if I break it, there's always next Christmas!

Kadillac Kreem
03-31-11, 11:08 PM
Hey guy's thanks for the input on the MRC, I think it also maybe because I am missing a lug on my rim hmmm possibility of it not being balanced? But to the first question I started with about the oil leak. On consumerguide.com, there is a common issue with oil leak from timing area possible gasket "which I am experiancing" and from the oil pan "not so sure". Minor leak I would say about 2200 mile since I bought the car. On the oil dipstick showing about 3/4 full so not too bad I would say, but still unacceptable. Any thoughts on "time" to fix and labor, I am taking my car in back into the dealer still under power train warranty 200$ deductable.

Kadillac Kreem
03-31-11, 11:09 PM
Also no NAV here...any thought to top post guys ^^^

EChas3
04-01-11, 09:54 PM
On consumerguide.com, there is a common issue with oil leak from timing area possible gasket "which I am experiancing" and from the oil pan "not so sure". Minor leak I would say about 2200 mile since I bought the car. On the oil dipstick showing about 3/4 full so not too bad I would say, but still unacceptable. Any thoughts on "time" to fix and labor, I am taking my car in back into the dealer still under power train warranty 200$ deductable.

I've been a member for a couple years and don't recall any common issue of timing cover gasket oil leaks on 2005 & up Northstars. I wonder whether they have reliable sources.

But of course it must be true... :stirpot:

Kadillac Kreem
04-03-11, 08:26 PM
According to consumerguide.com and yeah confirmed that I am leaking oil in that department. Wasn't sure if anyone has that same issue.