: Vote: Recaro yes or no

buddyg
03-27-11, 09:03 PM
Getting ready to order a 2011 CTS-V and I am not sure about the Recaro seats. Some of the tests I have seen say they are very uncomfortable on longer trips?

Votes and thoughts please.

jzchen
03-27-11, 11:24 PM
Well, my previous experience was with BMW and regretting not getting the sport seat option with that order, so I wasn't going to miss out on optional seats this time. It is a very reputable seat manufacturer, but can't say I've tried the regular seats to give you a comparison.

Caddy Wagon
03-27-11, 11:32 PM
You could always get the Recaro's, and if you hated them, trade with someone else for their stock seats + cash. From what I've read, all it takes is a decent amount of time to set up the Recaro's to your preference, and you will be very happy you got them!

translux
03-27-11, 11:41 PM
Have you sat in base seats?
IMHO it was like sitting on a lawn chair.

wetcoast
03-28-11, 12:21 AM
You have to sit on both. Period. I can see how these Recaro's could be a love hate relationship. I sat in both and decided to Recaro and have never sat in anything like it before. I'm 5'11" and 175 and I bought this car in San Fran and made it to Seattle in 14 hours nearly in the seat the whole time. Easiest drive I've done

Nutz
03-28-11, 12:23 AM
I love my standard seats. The headrests also have a more comfortable angle for me. No creaks either. I am a lifetime back pain sufferer that finds great comfort in my standard seats. I'm 6'1" and a sandwich or two over 200 lbs. When I sit in Recaros, it feels like I'm sitting on top of them, not in them, I know the sides can close in to help with multiple angles, but I'm talking right where it matters, under my arse. The $3,400.00 is quite a savings towards tires also. But I've heard bigger people enjoy them, many very passionately. As in many posts before, the best way to determine whats right is to SIT IN BOTH before forking over alot of money.

Mystical_Ice
03-28-11, 02:11 AM
OP - i posted the same thread about 2 weeks ago, just prior to purchasing my V... i ended up getting the Recaros, and so far have absolutely no regrets.

harrysstsv
03-28-11, 03:29 AM
Getting ready to order a 2011 CTS-V and I am not sure about the Recaro seats. Some of the tests I have seen say they are very uncomfortable on longer trips?

Votes and thoughts please.

get the Recaros,

beside my STS V I owned for 11 months a 3.6 CTS and these seats are not bad but the seats in my STS V are better.

Two weaks ago I sold my CTS and bought a CTS V Coupe with Recaros ( standard for export models) - these seats are great, you can adjust them to a perfect fit to your body.

Harry

buddyg
03-28-11, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the reply. I would love to sit in both but I am at least 2 hours to any place that would have even one V. Definitely leaning towards the Recaro's.

wfo
03-28-11, 11:16 AM
Had them on my Sedan and now on the Coupe...love the support, fit and finish of the Recaro's...for me it's the only way to go...not even a question.

Antero
03-28-11, 11:31 AM
I picked up my 2011 a few weeks ago and I am very happy with my recaros. Holds me very nicely through through spirited driving. :)

Caddy Wagon
03-28-11, 11:41 AM
Had them on my Sedan and now on the Coupe...love the support, fit and finish of the Recaro's...for me it's the only way to go...not even a question.

Not to mention how nicely they finish off the look of the interior.

SleepTight
03-28-11, 11:52 AM
The Recaros are great seats. Well worth the price.

hlantin
03-28-11, 12:01 PM
i had my doubts, but now that i have them, i'm glad i did. they're great! i would've been kicking myself for not ordering them..

khoeysr
03-28-11, 12:40 PM
My 09 sedan had the standard seats, my coupe has Recaros. IMO you have to go for the Recaros. I'm not a trackster but I found myself sliding around in the sedan. In the coupe, no such issue. Again, IMO I think anybody who has complained about the Recaros hasn't fully engaged the multiple adjustments. They definitely are firmer, no doubt.

Umrswimr
03-28-11, 02:01 PM
Just got back from a trip to Houston and back (~5 hours each way). I found I had two VERY different opinions each direction.

On Friday night I left right after work. Long week, long day, and tired. The seats were hard, uncomfortable, and I wasn't real happy. My wife was really not happy.

On the way home, we left at 2PM and I never once found myself uncomfortable. Wife never complained either.

On my daily drive, they are great. Took me a while tog et the adjusted correctly, but now they seem to fit just fine. Except for that 5 hour trip down to Houston. Granted, anything short of a flat bed would probably have resulted in the same hatred. :lol:

Overall, I'm glad I bought them.

shchow
03-28-11, 06:10 PM
Sat in the standard seats and they offer absolutely zero lateral support.
Strongly recommend the Recaro's...

Mikevette
03-28-11, 06:26 PM
Had the recaros in my 09 sedan and now have them in my 11 coupe! They are a must!!!! Standards seats are even an option. Get them and take some time to get them adjusted to you. pull the trigger on the recaros my brother and don't look back.

Mike P.

Pro tour 67
03-28-11, 06:41 PM
I refused to buy a non Recaro car. I sure am glad I waited. I love them

qictrk
03-29-11, 01:07 AM
If your taking it on a road course every week or two, then yes. If not, then no. Why spend $3K for seats that may not be your style. If you don't like the fit, your stuck. At least try one out somewhere.
Don't buy them just because they are "Recaro" seats. Cecil.........

Torxila
03-29-11, 11:57 AM
I'm a BIG guy,(as in Round) and I love them. 2 of my buddies who are just big guys 6-2 ish, 230 etc also love theirs. My wife who soaking wet might weigh 112lbs, thought they were too stiff at first, but as the seat actually "breaks in" loves them now also.

I say go for them.
George

buddyg
03-29-11, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the reply's, I am going to go with the Recaros!

steven1000r
03-30-11, 02:57 PM
Love the recaros with the excemption of the "rocking" they do. Almost feels like the seats are on springs.

thebigjimsho
03-30-11, 10:26 PM
This fatass loves his Recaro'''''''''''s!

FFBOS
03-30-11, 10:36 PM
I've had 2 corvettes, and other performance vehicles. These are by far the best seats I've ever sat in. I've herniated a disc before in my lower back and still have back pain. The lumbar support is great. In my z06 I felt like I was slammed against the door during hard turns. With the sides/bottoms of the recaros inflated to what you like, you are actually held in the seat. They are one of the main reasons I purchased the vehicle, besides all the HP

tedcmiller
03-30-11, 11:04 PM
I have a 2009 CTS-V with standard seats. I have no problems with them. The poster who suggested that the Recaro seats could be swapped for standard seats, if the buyer was unhappy with the Recaros, has not done any seat installations. It is a lot of work.

Playdrv4me
03-31-11, 02:34 AM
get the Recaros,

these seats are great, you can adjust them to a perfect fit to your body.

Harry

Aside from the benefits in hard driving, I find THAT to be the real beauty of Recaro seats.

Caddy Wagon
03-31-11, 03:55 AM
...The poster who suggested that the Recaro seats could be swapped for standard seats, if the buyer was unhappy with the Recaros, has not done any seat installations. It is a lot of work.

I've done LOTS of seat installations. My most recent seat install was a pair of 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix leather seats in my 87 Jeep using the stock Jeep seat brackets. Swapping stock seats for stock seats in a CTS-V would be easy work compared to that.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv136/AyresWeb/87%20YJ/Halloween0521024Jeep.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv136/AyresWeb/87%20YJ/JeepBoatLake9-18-2010019.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv136/AyresWeb/87%20YJ/UnderJeep011.jpg

danman_s
03-31-11, 11:13 AM
Any of the reviews that complain about how uncomfortable the Recaro's are must not have taken the time to properly adjust them. My dad has a 2009 CTSV with the Recaro's and they had to be some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I had absolutely no problems taking the car for 2-3 hour road trips.

It really annoys me that the Z06 seats are so lame in comparison. I've been road racing both a 2003 C5Z06 and a 2008 C6Z06 over the past 3 years and the CTSV Recaro's blow those seats out of the water, both on the track and on the highway.

And seconding the easy seat removal. The seats in modern GM's are overly simply to remove.

thebigjimsho
03-31-11, 04:14 PM
It's not the physical swap of the seats. It's that the standard seats don't have cooling and the electrics are different...

Caddy Wagon
03-31-11, 04:24 PM
It's not the physical swap of the seats. It's that the standard seats don't have cooling and the electrics are different...

That wouldn't take much for a decent do-it-yourselfer on the electrics side either.

thebigjimsho
03-31-11, 04:25 PM
That wouldn't take much for a decent do-it-yourselfer on the electrics side either.
Sounds like it from those who have tried. I haven't heard of a single successful attempt yet...

Caddy Wagon
03-31-11, 04:28 PM
Sounds like it from those who have tried. I haven't heard of a single successful attempt yet...

lol nobody like me has tried it then. ;)

thebigjimsho
03-31-11, 11:50 PM
go for it, d00d!

thebigjimsho
09-18-11, 09:17 PM
Did someone just vote? Why was this thread bumped?

M5eater
09-19-11, 08:01 AM
Did someone just vote? Why was this thread bumped?

must have-- only reason I can think of.

and just so I have something to contribute--
Having sat in both, I can't imagine using a standard seat in a V. The bottom cushion is tiny for a mid-sized car frankly--and flat, same goes for the lateral section. More comfortable? I would submit that's a matter of opinion-- if I can't sprawl out for fear of sliding down into the door car recess, I would not say it's more comfortable. As suggested though, you *have* to try them, there's simply no possible way to recieve an accurate opinion on something like this, it comes down to your figure, weight, height and personal preferences. Not something anyone here can provide other than what most people choose to go with, if that counts for anything.

N3716E
09-19-11, 10:07 AM
Not much has been mentioned about the ventilation/cooling available only in the Recaros. That alone was enough for me, I ordered the Recaros.

JFJr
09-19-11, 07:41 PM
Many, many threads and posts on this subject in the past; research and decide.

Ctsv wagon
09-19-11, 10:45 PM
I've got the standard seats only because it was what was in the car on the show room floor. They suck so bad! I have to push my legs outward trying to brace myself so I keep my body sliding to a minimum. Called my salesman and asked if I could swap the seats or just order than straight out and have both seats. He said no after doing some checking. Haven't investigated to see if he was telling the truth.

rubble express
09-19-11, 11:51 PM
Picked my '09 up in Palm Beach FLA and drove it back to KY. 1200 miles. Was unsure at first, but after adjusting (and readjusting) a bunch I got them right and am very happy with the Recaros. The big thing I noticed is that you have to center your arse in the seat to stay comfy. No leaning left or right. They definitely "cradle" you like a cacoon when you get them adjusted properly. I brought it in for the rear end recall and got a CTS4 with standard seats as a loner. What a dissappointment. Not just the seats unfortunately. Would definitely reccommend the Recaros.

M5eater
09-20-11, 08:56 AM
I've got the standard seats only because it was what was in the car on the show room floor. They suck so bad! I have to push my legs outward trying to brace myself so I keep my body sliding to a minimum. Called my salesman and asked if I could swap the seats or just order than straight out and have both seats. He said no after doing some checking. Haven't investigated to see if he was telling the truth.

anything is possible with enough cash, certinally, alot of reasoning has to do with warranty coverage though. It's just like my dealer and what Chris mentioned; the Euro p/n for the rear diff oil cooler has export only listed on the details section in the parts finder software they use. Even though we're talking about something super-simple as some threaded tubing, a bar/fin cooler and 12V fan my Dealer said no-go on the install for warranty reasons if there's a problem with fitment.

I'm pretty sure the 'ventellation' in the reccaro's are just some small computer fans that blow air-- but I'm also sure it would require a different harness plug compared to the other seats, and maybe the side-airbags in the recarro's are also different. Though the seats will likely physically fit, it's probally something small like that which would prevent 100% fitment.

shchow
09-20-11, 11:01 AM

It might be simpler to go with a full aftermarket seat instead of getting OEM Recaro's...

wetcoast
09-20-11, 11:13 AM
I'm finding that with the large bolsters on the sides of the seats that people are dragging their asses and scratching the leather on the side bolster. Has anyone looked into replacing the leather or had it fixed?

M5eater
09-20-11, 01:01 PM
I'm finding that with the large bolsters on the sides of the seats that people are dragging their asses and scratching the leather on the side bolster. Has anyone looked into replacing the leather or had it fixed?

you're easily looking at $1K for an OEM bottom skin replacement-- if it's even avaliable.

JFJr
09-20-11, 02:57 PM
I'm finding that with the large bolsters on the sides of the seats that people are dragging their asses and scratching the leather on the side bolster. Has anyone looked into replacing the leather or had it fixed?I noticed a small amount of wear on my driver's side in that area. I have my seat elevated so much that it's really hard to avoid the problem, even when it's in "easy out." Another aspect is that I'm in jeans a lot, and the roughness of the fabric is a contributing factor. Wearing smooth cotton or polyester blend pants would help reduce wear.

Jud

SoCalCTSV
09-20-11, 11:15 PM

I had this issue with my 95 540. No way around it besides consciously avoiding sliding out.

M5eater
09-23-11, 03:03 PM
There's no way around wearing stuff out on deep seats. Not wearing abrasive buttons or sharp edged pants helps, but conditioning it with some vinyl protector or something made for coated leather at least once a month goes a lot farther. I've tried not sitting on the bolster too, but it's already started wrinking, and I've also started to put wear marks on the weather striping on the door from elbowing my weight there.

delta_chi_03
09-24-11, 10:11 PM
I have a couple of 4.5 hour trips in my recaros. They are so adjustable, that you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

JimmyH
09-27-11, 04:09 PM
There's no way around wearing stuff out on deep seats. Not wearing abrasive buttons or sharp edged pants helps, but conditioning it with some vinyl protector or something made for coated leather at least once a month goes a lot farther. I've tried not sitting on the bolster too, but it's already started wrinking, and I've also started to put wear marks on the weather striping on the door from elbowing my weight there.

I regularly used leather conditioner on our Pilot. After about 50000 miles or so, driver seat started cracking anyway.

M5eater
09-29-11, 01:12 PM
I regularly used leather conditioner on our Pilot. After about 50000 miles or so, driver seat started cracking anyway.
lanolin conditioner or stuff that's closer to a plastic conditioner-- as most all leather is viny coated these days.

SilveRT8
10-23-11, 09:38 PM
Got my V wagon with Recaros 2 weeks ago, today I went to pick-up my 85 years old Mother in law, upon arriving at my house she noted
that those seats are very comfortable.
For me : case closed

buddyg
10-25-11, 03:03 PM
Since I started this thread I thought I would post up after 12,000 miles and 7 months of ownership.

LOVE THE RECAROS!!

thebigjimsho
10-28-11, 07:58 PM
I understand everyone is different, but I can't see how Recaro''''''s don't rule all!!!

srfx69
10-29-11, 08:58 AM
just picked up my v 2 days ago love the recaros it is a sports car why not have the seats to match! little harder to get in and out of but it's not an sts!