: Feeler-V series day.

StormTrooperFRC
03-27-11, 05:58 PM
Just curious,...putting out a feeler here. We've been talking, from a small scale, wanting to do some sort of V day,..call it V appreciation,...fascination,...or fun day. It would be cool but,...only the locals, a small in relative numbers crew, that would probably show up or swing by. We will do this, and it will be a fun thing but,...we started talking,...starting talking with higher ups... and the question was asked, what about ONE BIG GIANT V-SERIES day,...like at a track, something like DAYTONA International Speedway? Would you ladies and guys be interested in something like this? Would you actually go? Those out of state, would you drive to something like this? Yearly?

Cadillac is BIG in Motorsports advertising,... and I think this would be something that may be cool. Professional drivers would be on hand for demos or lessons, for hire or joy rides,... you could take your own vehicle on the track, or go around the track with a professional driver in your own car. They're would be an obvious car show, ALL V's would be welcome on the track and in the show. GM vehicles would be welcomed but, this would be a PRIMARY v series day.

This is only for feedback purposes, who would come?

dqw1
03-27-11, 06:39 PM
Daytona? Yep.

StormTrooperFRC
03-27-11, 07:13 PM
I see you understand the heritage. Props for the road warrior. +1

garfin
03-27-11, 08:48 PM
Depending on location, timing and length of the event (not gonna drive to Daytona from Toronto for a 1 day event), and what the activities are, I'd like to say I'd be there.
An event with track participation would be a great draw for me (for sure if it's a road course!)
Attended the 40th ANN F-body event in '08 in Indianapolis at the Brickyard and took a lap there - with a strict advisory to keep it under 30 mph - they had radar on the track and you would be pulled off if you exceeded that speed! That is not for me, but it made for a good photo-op!
Drove to Bowling Green 5 years in a row for the annual F-body Gathering at the NCM which was great! I know the NCM bought the property across the road from the museum and have plans for a full-boat motorsports park (road course, autoX and dragstrip facilities, but I believe that's still a couple of years down the road until completion.
The more central the location, the better the attendance will be.

Best regards,

Elie

jweymar
03-27-11, 10:25 PM
+1 on a multi day event with a lot to do. If its big I'm down to make a vacation out of it!!

cbloveday
03-27-11, 10:28 PM
Date and location determine my availability. Definately appreciate the willingness to create this event!

StormTrooperFRC
03-27-11, 11:31 PM
Awesome feedback. Great suggestions.

I agree with the multi day,... that would be a must I think.

Junior1
03-28-11, 12:29 AM
Lindsay Cadillac has already done 4 days like this since 2008 at Summit Point.
V Day 5 is set for June. There are usually 25-50 V's in attendance.

GM has been involved in the past and brought the preproduction V2.
Pratt & Miller has been involved and brought the CTS-VR.
And Andy Pilgrim has always been involved offering instruction and ride alongs.

thebigjimsho
03-28-11, 01:32 PM
Lindsay Cadillac has already done 4 days like this since 2008 at Summit Point.
V Day 5 is set for June. There are usually 25-50 V's in attendance.

GM has been involved in the past and brought the preproduction V2.
Pratt & Miller has been involved and brought the CTS-VR.
And Andy Pilgrim has always been involved offering instruction and ride alongs.Good to see someone bring this up...

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
03-28-11, 01:52 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/224556-v-day-5-june-24th.html

StormTrooperFRC
03-28-11, 06:04 PM
I don't think you guys are comprehending what I am meaning. I'm not talking about 50 V's..... I am talking about a much larger scale thing here. Not trying to have a dealer war, or even try and take anything away from anyone/dealer or whoever that is putting on events. Thats great. Not everyone can make it,...if your not interested, or another event is closer, go to that one, but, again, I think you guys are thinking too small. 25-50 V's....is a fraction of what I had in mind.

StormTrooperFRC
03-28-11, 06:07 PM
...we had CUSTOMER Hummer days a while back,,..we'd build a track,...150-200 hummers would show up over 2 days,...and we'd have a blast. I'm not talking about dealership outtings......anyone can do those.

Mikevette
03-28-11, 06:37 PM
I have Talladega for Vetts for vets during the 4th july was awesome 90 mph in our groups of 15 cars for 5 laps at a time. Road Atlanta would be a great place with it being a raod course. Multi day is a must to allow everybody to participate during several days if they want. Count me in for this event if it happens!!

Mike P.

StormTrooperFRC
03-28-11, 07:03 PM
I have Talladega for Vetts for vets during the 4th july was awesome 90 mph in our groups of 15 cars for 5 laps at a time. Road Atlanta would be a great place with it being a raod course. Multi day is a must to allow everybody to participate during several days if they want. Count me in for this event if it happens!!

Mike P.

thanks for the positive feedback Mike, will do!!

David Nicholas
03-28-11, 08:46 PM
Great idea but the locaction is very diificult. Not exactly the center of gravity for most and a lot of driving in a car that is not the best cross-country touring machine. Any chance of something a little more central to the population density - Chicago, Indy, or at the start of the Baltimore/DC Grand Prix weekend...? How did you gravitate towards Daytona
A better location should draw more Vs....

StormTrooperFRC
03-28-11, 09:47 PM
Daytona is a venue that is much appreciated from a driving/viewing perspective, in an environment that is sometimes quoted as perfect(but sometimes there is rain). There is nothing set in stone as of yet,... but this is all good feedback. It's something that everyone should have a chance to be part of,...so the travel do's and travel don'ts are important.

those that private messaged me, please excuse my lack of response,..I guess I don't have enough posts just yet. Please be patient.

Thanks.

garfin
03-28-11, 10:59 PM
I don't think you guys are comprehending what I am meaning. I'm not talking about 50 V's..... I am talking about a much larger scale thing here. Not trying to have a dealer war, or even try and take anything away from anyone/dealer or whoever that is putting on events. Thats great. Not everyone can make it,...if your not interested, or another event is closer, go to that one, but, again, I think you guys are thinking too small. 25-50 V's....is a fraction of what I had in mind.

I think it may be worth some merit to consider the limitations of your market when projecting participation and numbers...

Our events in Bowling Green would draw approx.300-350 cars at the NCM during the peak years, and you gotta know these are very, very passionate Camaro /Firebird owners. Now I'm not suggesting that V-owners are any less passionate about their vehicles, but the reality is, that there are a helluva lot fewer V owners out there from which to draw on, than there are owners of 1st thru 4th generation F-bodies.
Given that the potential number of participants would be much less (in comparison), combined with the usual problems of logistics that are applicable to any event (location, timing etc.) that could further limit the number of potential participants even more. I'm not trying to come across as a naysayer, but just trying to be somewhat realistic.
What are your projections? Could you make a go of the event if you had between 125-150 participants?
Again, if you can attract people with a good program of events in a desirable location over a weekend, this could be a great thing. The good news is that our V family is growing!

Best regards,

Elie

buddyg
03-29-11, 01:23 PM
I would also say IRP or Mid-Ohio would be a better option. 2000 plus miles is a bit far for me.

thebigjimsho
03-29-11, 11:27 PM
Yeah, how many thousand Vs have been built? How many are enthusiasts? How many will even find out? How many will travel to a corner of the country? Sure, Hummers are easy. Hummers are the Florida state bird.

I go to, and have helped organize, SHO Owners Conventions and we get 80-110 hardcore current and former SHO owners every year. I'd love to see a bigger V Convention(and what is with this crap, riding with an instructor? weaksauce) but to get it started, it can't be in Florida. It needs to be centrally located such as Indy or Chicago and maybe after a few successful years bring it someplace obscure like Daytona...

StormTrooperFRC
03-30-11, 09:26 PM
I think it may be worth some merit to consider the limitations of your market when projecting participation and numbers...

Our events in Bowling Green would draw approx.300-350 cars at the NCM during the peak years, and you gotta know these are very, very passionate Camaro /Firebird owners. Now I'm not suggesting that V-owners are any less passionate about their vehicles, but the reality is, that there are a helluva lot fewer V owners out there from which to draw on, than there are owners of 1st thru 4th generation F-bodies.
Given that the potential number of participants would be much less (in comparison), combined with the usual problems of logistics that are applicable to any event (location, timing etc.) that could further limit the number of potential participants even more. I'm not trying to come across as a naysayer, but just trying to be somewhat realistic.
What are your projections? Could you make a go of the event if you had between 125-150 participants?
Again, if you can attract people with a good program of events in a desirable location over a weekend, this could be a great thing. The good news is that our V family is growing!

Best regards,

Elie

Elie, I appreciate your insight and I am on the same page as you, I agree, the numbers comparison is staggering in comparison to an F-body fan base. It would be difficult to fill the shoes of such a large facility with just the one mark. I like the idea of inviting Corvette, or all GM's,...it would be probably in the end, a much funner event given the multiple crowd/car variances...and a lot easier to fill a race track for a weekend.

We're still in a drawing board phase, plotting and getting ideas to what is actually possible. Much data needs to be acquired before anything is proposed as considerations. For now, everything suggested is a consideration in effort to make this as much of a community thing as anything. By the people for the people yada yada yada. :bouncy: Good thing is, I have some motivational people behind me, we love cars, I love the GM platforms,..and were gonna do all we can to get the information we need to progress forward in the thought process of an event. Thanks again for your insight.

-Jamie

Yeah, how many thousand Vs have been built? How many are enthusiasts? How many will even find out? How many will travel to a corner of the country? Sure, Hummers are easy. Hummers are the Florida state bird.

I go to, and have helped organize, SHO Owners Conventions and we get 80-110 hardcore current and former SHO owners every year. I'd love to see a bigger V Convention(and what is with this crap, riding with an instructor? weaksauce) but to get it started, it can't be in Florida. It needs to be centrally located such as Indy or Chicago and maybe after a few successful years bring it someplace obscure like Daytona...

Hey Jim, hows it going? I remember you from many years ago. "Hummers are easy" ?.... How so? As far as entertaining they're owners, or having events? I am not sure how you would look at either one different, based on the fact that it's an enthusiast based event, for a premier brand vehicle... their both Premier brands,.. Hummer customers are there to go offroading,... V customers are there to go fast, off road so to speak. Often, very often, Hummer owners own multiple brand vehicles, usually sports cars or luxurious hot rods. As far as I am concerned,..it's very much the same. Your looking for the same goal with either client. Them, appreciating they're vehicle in a somewhat controlled environment, and loving every minute of it.

Whats with riding with an instructor you ask? Well, not everyone is as KennyPowers as you are ( :histeric: )...jokes... Honestly, not everyone is comfortable going around a banked corner at 120mph or more. Not everyone knows what "apex the corner" means. Everyone needs instruction, and everyone needs to start somewhere. Often, a professional driver can help with simple braking zones,... giving the newb driver confidence she or he never had with they're cars before. It's a pretty cool experience. Hell, I drove a Z06 with Justin Bell in the passenger side through an autocross once. How often does that happen? I learned something new that day, and I am around cars every day of my life.

Hummer events, honestly are no different. What better way for the soccer mom to come out in her H2, and go offroading in it, like something she would see in a movie or never imagine her EVER doing in any vehicle, let alone her own. She wouldn't have had the confidence if a trail instructor didn't give it to her. I have seen all forms of owner/drivers on offroad courses and everyone appreciated instruction when needed. Plus, it's for safety. Simple as that my friend. If you don't want an instructor,.. you wouldn't have to have one.

Thanks for your input Jim.

thebigjimsho
03-30-11, 10:33 PM
Hey Jim, hows it going? I remember you from many years ago. "Hummers are easy" ?.... How so? As far as entertaining they're owners, or having events? I am not sure how you would look at either one different, based on the fact that it's an enthusiast based event, for a premier brand vehicle... their both Premier brands,.. Hummer customers are there to go offroading,... V customers are there to go fast, off road so to speak. Often, very often, Hummer owners own multiple brand vehicles, usually sports cars or luxurious hot rods. As far as I am concerned,..it's very much the same. Your looking for the same goal with either client. Them, appreciating they're vehicle in a somewhat controlled environment, and loving every minute of it.

Whats with riding with an instructor you ask? Well, not everyone is as KennyPowers as you are ( :histeric: )...jokes... Honestly, not everyone is comfortable going around a banked corner at 120mph or more. Not everyone knows what "apex the corner" means. Everyone needs instruction, and everyone needs to start somewhere. Often, a professional driver can help with simple braking zones,... giving the newb driver confidence she or he never had with they're cars before. It's a pretty cool experience. Hell, I drove a Z06 with Justin Bell in the passenger side through an autocross once. How often does that happen? I learned something new that day, and I am around cars every day of my life.

Hummer events, honestly are no different. What better way for the soccer mom to come out in her H2, and go offroading in it, like something she would see in a movie or never imagine her EVER doing in any vehicle, let alone her own. She wouldn't have had the confidence if a trail instructor didn't give it to her. I have seen all forms of owner/drivers on offroad courses and everyone appreciated instruction when needed. Plus, it's for safety. Simple as that my friend. If you don't want an instructor,.. you wouldn't have to have one.

Thanks for your input Jim.All in good fun. Seriously, I've thought about putting together a Convention for the V but I just don't think I have the time. But I do think it needs to be centrally located first. Then, when people see what's up and that it's a good time and a dependable event to make a vacation to go to, then they will go. Florida would be a hard sell...

StormTrooperFRC
03-30-11, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

David Nicholas
03-31-11, 03:17 AM
Perhaps an odd concept but deserving of a thought. Florida, as an example, may be "high-density" for Hummers, but no one suggested it is where the highest concentration of V-owners is.
Does GM release, or will they supply, the V sales-data by region or state. It would seem that this data would suggest where the best location for the highest participation.

garfin
03-31-11, 07:03 AM
Elie, I appreciate your insight and I am on the same page as you, I agree, the numbers comparison is staggering in comparison to an F-body fan base. It would be difficult to fill the shoes of such a large facility with just the one mark. I like the idea of inviting Corvette, or all GM's,...it would be probably in the end, a much funner event given the multiple crowd/car variances...and a lot easier to fill a race track for a weekend.

We're still in a drawing board phase, plotting and getting ideas to what is actually possible. Much data needs to be acquired before anything is proposed as considerations. For now, everything suggested is a consideration in effort to make this as much of a community thing as anything. By the people for the people yada yada yada. :bouncy: Good thing is, I have some motivational people behind me, we love cars, I love the GM platforms,..and were gonna do all we can to get the information we need to progress forward in the thought process of an event. Thanks again for your insight.

-Jamie

Sounds very much like this event!
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/218537-annual-gm-centric-road-race-autocross.html

http://www.fbody-event.org/

Best regards,

Elie

thebigjimsho
03-31-11, 04:11 PM
Sounds very much like this event!
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/218537-annual-gm-centric-road-race-autocross.html

http://www.fbody-event.org/

Best regards,

Elie
Yeah, but when it's that broad a range of vehicles, the camaraderie isn't there...

StormTrooperFRC
04-03-11, 03:08 PM
LSX love.

It's there. ;)

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 10:55 PM
Meh, I don't really care too much about Vettes and Camaros. I can go to a meet in the region and see every mod known to man. I'm not driving to Florida to see a few Vs and a crapload of other GMs. For a crapload of Vs? Sure...

LitiGATOR
04-05-11, 10:58 PM
Daytona works for me!

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 11:28 PM
If I was driving, not some instructor...