: Tapping Noise

Caddycrazee
03-27-11, 02:07 PM
Have an 05 STS N* RWD. I have a tapping noise coming from what sounds like the right side of the motor. It is more prominent above the back 2 cylinders. The sound is like tapping the shaft of a screwdriver on a wooden workbench. The noise tends to disappear at times. Can hear it under heavy acceleration and at idle. Especially noticeable at idle when standing by drivers door. The car has 86000 mi and I think it lacked WOT's by the first owner. I am the second owner. Hot or cold the noise is pretty constant. It disappears when accelerating in park in the driveway. Exhaust cams? :hmm: I got the car for $8000.00 and it is in nice shape.

SlickCityStan
03-27-11, 09:12 PM
doesn't sound good could a valve problem any idea of past maintenance? Since it comes and goes could be sludge blocking an oil passage due to poor maintenance. You could try an oil and filter change using a full synthetic oil and then change again after about 1000 miles. since you think the car may have been driven like a sunday driver take it on a nice road trip with some sustained speeds of 70 to 80mph maybe an occasional burp up to 90(any tickets are your responsibility). I personally would avoid WOT until the problem is solved or diagnosed by a tech.

EChas3
03-28-11, 08:07 PM
Read the FAQ about the benefits of WOT. Its fun, too.