: smell antifreeze burning

jak3336
03-27-11, 12:50 PM
My 2001 catera over heated about a week ago due to fans not turning on. Now when I shut the car off and get out I smell antifreeze. Its used about a gt of antifreeze. Do you think hg or maybe intake gasket. No antifreeze in the oil. The car runs great. Thank You

hgqguy
03-27-11, 12:57 PM
head gasket. got hot, warped.... unfortunant.

jak3336
03-27-11, 05:07 PM
head gasket. got hot, warped.... unfortunant.

Thank You, has anyone had any luck with the new head gasket sealants(bluedevil) of any kind.

catera00
03-29-11, 07:39 PM
Probably Head gasket but I would have a mechanic do a leak down test to verify before spending money on it. Mine overheated pretty bad recently and did not warp the head. But when I first got my car I had the same symptoms you do. Smell of coolant, coolant loss and no sign of coolant in the oil. That WAS a warped head. Head had to be replaced.

retho78
03-29-11, 10:08 PM
I sometimes can smell anitfreeze on my car too, but no leak or any signs of anitfreeze loss. No idea what it could be, the car runs fine and have no issues.

elbrown4183
04-08-11, 02:32 AM
Mine was doing it too. Replaced the Coolant Pump. No more smell, no more leak. If you are doing a head gasket, it is a HELLUVA job. I got it down now and can offer up tricks and tips if you are going to do it. If you think it needs it, it probably does. Before you do, you will need to order NEW head and camshaft bolts. The Felpro kit from Azone runs about $180.00 but includes EVERYTHING! You will also need the Crankshaft locking tool. You can get away without it to reset the timing, but it is tricky.

Seriously, if you are going to do head gaskets, BE READY, have all your parts, cleaners, tools, ready to go. THIS is a HARD job!