: Tire Pressure Monitors : Some questions.

PrelateBishop
03-26-11, 07:35 PM
I'm about to get my extra set of OEM wheels back from the powder coating shop. As you could've guessed, the OEM wheels that my car shipped with when new are still on the vehicle. The wheels being powder coated came with tire pressure monitors (TPM) installed on them. I now face the task of swapping out the non-PC'd wheels for the freshly PC'd wheels. To make this easier, let's use the following definitions:

stock wheels still on car = Wheels1
powder coated wheels = Wheels2

So here are my questions:

- Is it best to simply transfer the TPM's from Wheels1 to Wheels2?
- Can the OEM rubber gaskets on the TPM's be safely reused are should I replace them?

My assumption is that this is the easiest solution, as it presumably would not require any reprogramming (my car wouldn't know the difference between the two sets of wheels). Then again, what the hell do I know?

Assuming the answer is "no", then:

- Is there a way to test the TPM's from Wheels2 to make certain they are functional before I have the tires mounted on them?
- Are the batteries in TPM's replaceable?
- If the TPM's from Wheels2 are dead, what's the best source for new ones?

By all means if I'm overlooking something that should be obvious, don't hesitate to mention it.

Aurora40
03-27-11, 12:11 PM
Reprogramming them is trivial, and you'd likely have to do it anyway unless you keep perfect track of what corner each sensor came off of. As for testing, that might be tricky without any tools and no tires mounted. You can just reprogram them to the car first, but the thing is that involves reducing the pressure they are seeing. Hard to do with no tire.

JustinC
03-29-11, 10:34 AM
Have a tire shop put them on and they will program/check each tire before it's bolted up. Time or money!