: More Bass! Infinity BassLink

SomeGuyNamedJay
03-26-11, 06:50 PM
As you can see from the pictures, I am not done. Just testing it out first before I put any holes in the car. Please use these pictures as an example of how NOT to install a sub into your SRX. This is a temporary ghetto method that took me all of 10 minutes to do.

This all said.. the sound is SO much BETTER! I need to do some tweaking, but I am pretty sure it is going to work out long term - as long as the unit holds up... There are plenty of reviews on the internet (including this site) of the BassLink dying.

How I did it: 1. I got power from the cigarette lighter port in the back. Yes, I am proud of my splicing job. Notice how there is still an available port? Sweet!!!
2. I just spliced into the Bose "sub-woofer" audio line. I decided to keep it plugged in (as opposed to unhooking it completely) to add some mid-bass. This may change as I test it out and tune it more.
3. The unit also comes with a very handy remote control knob which I fished (also ghetto style) to the front of the car. This will aide in tuning, but also to turn it up and down, depending on the song.

That's it!

You can also see that it does not fit perfectly in the storage compartment under the cover. I will either cut up the foam to put a hole about the size of the sub, or just take the foam out entirely.

stevec5375
03-26-11, 07:13 PM
Thanks for sharing. That should do nicely hiding all the squeaks and rattles. ;)

Max405
03-26-11, 10:47 PM
Thanks for sharing. That should do nicely hiding all the squeaks and rattles. ;)

This post killed my enthusiasm for this forum. After this, I am done here.

To the original poster, I am glad you like the additional bass that the Bass link gave you. If you dont push it too hard, It should last you a good long time. You will find that the remote control gain knob is the best thing you could add to the system. Without it, you will be forced to equalize most of the bass out in the head unit. Then all you will hear is mid to high through the doors and the dash and low through the sub woofer. Since you have the knob you can equalize the mids back in by raising the bass in the headunit and ligthly add a touch of bass with the knob to fill the bottom. The sound will be terrific. If you like smooth Jazz, try listening to the Rippingtons "Topaz". For me, this music adds to the experience of an otherwise GREAT automobile.

Good luck everybody with your SRX. I am sure it will serve you well. Nothing manufactured by humans can be perfect all the time. I got lucky with my SRX. I think its a wonderful car.

Take care everybody, Joe D.

PJ1520
03-27-11, 10:05 AM
MAX.......I am happy to hear your SRX has been problem free. Some have not been so lucky. Please afford those folks some understanding with their frustrations.

If theirs was simply a matter of dropping their SRX off at a dealer under warranty and getting it back with the issues resolved, we would not be having this discussion........and everyone would be you, happy and satisfied that their $40K+ was well spent and that every ride behind the wheel a pleasurable experience, one they paid for on the front end.

PJ

SomeGuyNamedJay
03-27-11, 10:39 AM
There will always be treadcrappers. Complainers will always have a louder voice because they are more passionate about their problem than the countless people who either don't have problems with their vehicle or have the understanding that yes, all cars, regardless of Make/Model/where it was made) have issues. It is unfortunate that this forum does have a high number of Steve C's.

It would be nice if someone from GM was monitoring the forum and actively worked with these folks to fix their issues. I know from personal experience that some (most?) dealers just SUCK.

stevec5375
03-27-11, 11:17 AM
I spend a lot of time on this board answering other people's questions. I don't complain nearly as loudly and fervently as I did when I first got on here. The back end (cargo area) of my car sounds like a rattle trap. I have had the car a little over one year and it has approx. 8K miles on it. So why is it rattling like that when it's still almost new? There is nothing in the cargo area except the compressor that came with it. I have searched the entire back end looking for the cause. My conclusion: typical American car. Why do I make this statement? Because my experience with American cars in my lifetime has been that they all rattle. I was hoping after all these years things would have improved. I have been sorely disappointed.

My comment about his subwoofer covering up the rattles was ended with a smiley face in an attempt to be more "tongue in cheek" than anything else. Herein lies the problem with internet communications. Apparently several of you have taken this to mean I was "crapping" on this thread. I'm sorry that was your interpretation. Please return to your rose-colored glasses reality.

PJ1520
03-27-11, 04:29 PM
No Steve.......I took it as a light-humored comment, with or without the smilie. And reminiscent of someone elses' practical suggestion to drown out the rattles (rear suspension) and thumping (gasoline tank-caused, lacking baffles) by cranking the sound system until GM could find a cause and/or a fix for this racket. No apologies from you needed from my perspective.

PJ

Smokin' SRX
03-28-11, 11:06 AM
Ditto's. Steve is a dedicated member. We mustn't be too thin skinned! This forum's members are a great group (not precision wordsmiths/Miss Manners at all times) and would pull over to help a fellow X'er anyday! Good enough for me!

Max, it's your privilege to leave. But if I took every one of my family's opinions as 100% of the facts, there would never be a family bar-b-q! I know you can find some annoying posts, by (usually rightfully)venting folks, but again, ............ no bar-b-q.

Why not stay tuned and glean the useful, dollar saving, insightful knowledge this forum offers for free, and just log in as a Guest? We won't mind. That's the kind of folks we are! You don't have to read every newspaper on the stand. Your call.

SS

Max405
03-28-11, 03:49 PM
Steve, I apologize for making it seem like I was leaving the forum '"just" because of your post. That was stupid of me and insensitive. I was wrong to judge anyone else. I am sorry.

Funny thing.. I was driving in this morning without the stereo on, just to try and listen for squeaks and rattles! Thankfully, I couldnt detect any. I have a feeling if I blast the stereo enough I'll be sure to loosen some things up without a doubt...

Jay- If you cut up the subfloor so you can close the door you will lose the clarity in the sound of the bass. You will only "feel" it. Plus, I think the Basslink will overheat in an enclosed area. Check on that before you do any cutting. With my system, I leave the door open and folded down (unless I am transporting luggage or something) and have the sub firing upwards. The sound is incredible. If I were you, I wouldn't close the door at all unless you need too. The BassLink is small enough to tuck into one of the corners just behind the seats. It will sound great, and its not an eyesore at all.

Thanks and once again, I am sorry for being a baby.

Joe D.

stevec5375
03-28-11, 04:03 PM
Steve, I apologize for making it seem like I was leaving the forum '"just" because of your post. That was stupid of me and insensitive. I was wrong to judge anyone else. I am sorry.

Joe D.

Joe, apology accepted. :)

Welcome back! I hope we can help you with any question/issues you might have.

PJ1520
03-28-11, 05:22 PM
Ditto's..........But if I took every one of my family's opinions as 100% of the facts, there would never be a family bar-b-q! I know you can find some annoying posts, by (usually rightfully)venting folks, but again, ............ no bar-b-q.

SS

No more family BBQs if I start to agree 100% with my family members' opinions? So THAT is what I have been doing wrong. I'll have to put some ear plugs in and just start nodding my head in agreement starting with the next family get together or phone call. :thumbsup:

PJ