: Don't buy the SRX or a GM

jioanna
03-26-11, 02:57 PM
I bought a new 2010 SRX and have had nothing but problems since. The gas tank thumps, the brakes squeek. When I pull into work people turn around and ask me what is wrong with my car! I am so embaresed to drive it. I have contacted the customer cares hotline numerous times and only get the run around. It has been into the shop six times [for these issues, many more for the others] and they admit they hear it but can't fix it.
The transmission was leaking, the trim fell off, the dash fogged up, no remote detected it goes on and on. I have tried to work with them but they don't call back or call the home phone when i have asked them to call my cell because I am out of town. The car is less than a year old!
Don't buy not only an SRX but a GM vehicle in general. Poor customer service, poor craftmanship. Can you imagine buying a luxury vehicle that you are embarrased to drive? And the manufacturer does nothing?
I have contacted an attorney and will continue to blog here and everywhere else to let you know how it goes!

stevec5375
03-26-11, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/218485-struts-liftgate-round-2-a.html

It does have a happy ending if you read it completely. The driver ended up getting new 2011 SRX after filing the Lemon Law against GM. She got an attorney too. There is some very good advice offered up in this thread. Please read it.

sube5186
03-26-11, 07:15 PM
There is some very good advice offered up in this thread. Please read it.

Sound advice!

Sorry to hear about your problems too.

Sube

PJ1520
03-27-11, 08:51 AM
jionna........good advice from these people. Read the thread Steve mentioned. Shana, the owner of the 2010 SRX in that thread, in retrospect might tell you that nothing happened until the heat was turned up, way up. Don't waste your time angry and frustrated. Action and resolve will get you where you want to go.

PJ

Ponyman
03-27-11, 03:25 PM
If you really are having all these problems, then I sympathize with you and wish you good luck in your efforts with GM. The guys are right, read all of Shana's posts about her ordeal and solution. But, I must admit that when your first post is one slamming the car and company, then I am a bit skeptical about your problems and suspect a spammer. Where were you as all of these problems were taking place, and why weren't you here asking for advise?

Smokin' SRX
03-27-11, 03:49 PM
Ponyman, I am suspicious as well. Hope we are right, as no one really deserves so many unresolved issues along with an apparently unsympathetic Dealer? Jioanna, Why wouldn't you change Dealers? Come here sooner? At least you are pursuing channels now.

Don't condemn a whole Co. because of a bad Dealer/bad day at the factory. All brands have Lemons at times. Many Toyota/Lexus owners are still afraid to drive up to their garages for fear of accelerating right thru them! They stayed with Lexus and got it/getting it resolved. The majority of our Forum members are quite happy w/their SRX. But not w/ every Dealer.

I encourage you to stay tuned to our Forum, with it's large wealth of knowledge/advice/experience and proceed as you have, to get a new SRX, if warranted. You'll be happy again!

Pls keep us posted.

SS

Marc NY
03-27-11, 03:52 PM
If you really are having all these problems, then I sympathize with you and wish you good luck in your efforts with GM. The guys are right, read all of Shana's posts about her ordeal and solution. But, I must admit that when your first post is one slamming the car and company, then I am a bit skeptical about your problems and suspect a spammer. Where were you as all of these problems were taking place, and why weren't you here asking for advise?I agree with Ponyman & Smokin SRX 100%! :mad2:

If you were having all these problems before you should have been looking for this site a lot sooner than now. To just start slaming and post only 1 post is quite obvious that your intent here is to merely SLAM the SRX & GM.

It sure doesn't appear you are looking for help but to just to incite everyone based on your comments and not sticking around to get good feedback ---> "... will continue to blog here and everywhere else to let you know how it goes!" :stirpot:

stevec5375
03-27-11, 03:59 PM
Perhaps she just found out about the site. Not everyone lives in front of their computers like we do. ;)

Marc NY
03-27-11, 04:23 PM
Perhaps she just found out about the site. Not everyone lives in front of their computers like we do. ;)Steve you could be very correct ...

However, his comments IMO: ".... will continue to blog here and everywhere else to let you know how it goes!" sounds to me a lot more like a person who knows quite well what they are doing and certainly appears they have been around the net a lot.

I have seen these posts numerous times over the years on many other sites and the majority of them who post and run are looking to merely stir the pot.

If he/ she was looking for good advice they should stick around and talk. To merely post and leave without seeking any help or assistance with their issues to me is not the usual or normal behavior.

Perhaps they will come back and will allow us to try and help guide them through there concerns or issues.

PJ1520
03-27-11, 11:33 PM
I realize that most people are not as "passionate" about motor vehicles as I am. Most of my acquaintances don't know these types of automotive forums exist. Many people think dealers are pretty much the same. How many times on this forum do we come across people who are not sure if switching dealers is an option? Others trust their dealer until the breaking point. And most people are uncomfortable with confrontation. Even more with drawing a line in the sand......even when they don't get what they paid for.

All of these things notwithstanding, the lemon law thread Steve referenced reinforces my belief that David can take on Goliath and do just fine. Shana did. Why not Jioanna? My patience threshhold is a lot lower than the price of an SRX. If I didn't feel I had the knowledge and expertise to get my new car fixed or replaced, I would ask others for help and/or hire someone who did have these skill sets.

PJ

Tolron
03-28-11, 10:07 AM
I had numerous problems on my '07 CTS. Took car to dealer over and over, finally getting so frustrated that I wanted to "lawyer up" and go for the lemon law. Wrong approach! A lawyer friend of mine said, "read your owners manual" and follow the procedures there. First step is dealer; second is Cadillac; third is Better Business Bureau; fourth is Lemon Law. Since I had already been to dealer (over 24 times) and Cadillac, I called BBB. They told me how to file with them on line which I did. The NEXT DAY I got a call from Cadillac. I'll skip a few steps (which you can find in my dissertation under "first generatio CTS") but suffice it to say that within three weeks, I had a full refund including GM points. I turned around and bought a '10 SRX. Quite happy with it! Follow your owners manual or you will just run in circles and run up unneeded legal bills. Good luck.

Smokin' SRX
03-28-11, 10:12 AM
I realize that most people are not as "passionate" about motor vehicles as I am. Most of my acquaintances don't know these types of automotive forums exist. Many people think dealers are pretty much the same. How many times on this forum do we come across people who are not sure if switching dealers is an option? Others trust their dealer until the breaking point. And most people are uncomfortable with confrontation. Even more with drawing a line in the sand......even when they don't get what they paid for.

All of these things notwithstanding, the lemon law thread Steve referenced reinforces my belief that David can take on Goliath and do just fine. Shana did. Why not Jioanna? My patience threshhold is a lot lower than the price of an SRX. If I didn't feel I had the knowledge and expertise to get my new car fixed or replaced, I would ask others for help and/or hire someone who did have these skill sets.

PJ
Ditto, ...........dittos to the ditto to PJ1520

Good for you Tolron! Way to go! All roses can have a nasty thorn..........

SS

PJ1520
03-28-11, 03:24 PM
I agree, Tolron. I can't think of a business situation (and this topic of unresolved SRX issues with brand new vehicles is a business situation) where you use a hammer except as a last resort, after you have exhausted all other reasonable avenues available to you.

In every corporate environment I have worked, the folks who had the most success with satisfactory problem resolution, whether that be within the company or outside of the company.....these individuals communicated clearly, communicated to the right people, and they documented their case with names, dates, times, titles, committments, deliverables, and exact expectation content. They were nothing if not persistent.

More important, they were like a machine. When matters went South, they were not afraid to use their resources, seek out advice, escalate issues to key decision makers no matter how high up, and to use whatever leverage they had to. Emotion, frustration, fear? These get in the way and destroy one's credibility. So does a lack of resolve.

In Shana's case I'd bet a case of (fill in the blank with your favorite adult beverage) she would do things a bit differently the second time around, even though she was ultimately successful. All the while she had all of her ducks lined up. She ultimately got exactly what she paid for, what she deserved in the first place: a new replacement vehicle, the difference being that this one works. But it took her a over a year and a score fruitless visits back to her dealership to get there.

Shana taught us a lot about what not to do and what ultimately worked for her. When she put Goliath on notice about her next steps (lemon law action), even then her dealership and the zone rep attempted to stall her off all the way to the door of the courtroom! "You boys just ran out of time." She had a vin# on her replacement SRX in short order.

I am an SRX owner, a proud owner. I have no axe to grind. But a customer, and she was a long-time/many vehicle loyal customer and from a family that also bought the same brand for their personal and business use, should not have to go through what she had to go through. I thank myself every day that my dealer is quite a few cuts above hers. But if placed in her situation, I would not have had $40,000 + and over a years worth of patience.

PJ

stevec5375
03-28-11, 03:54 PM

I am an SRX owner, a proud owner. I have no axe to grind. But a customer, and she was a long-time/many vehicle loyal customer and from a family that also bought the same brand for their personal and business use, should not have to go through what she had to go through. I thank myself every day that my dealer is quite a few cuts above hers. But if placed in her situation, I would not have had $40,000 + and over a years worth of patience.

PJ

One thing about this that amazed me was that Shana was willing to stick with the GM brand after what they put her through. If it had been me, I doubt I would have done that. But I guess unless she wanted to lose some money she had no choice since she couldn't very sell her lemon w/o a loss.

However, the way they treated her is a formula for loosing lifelong customers and everyone to whom she relays her story.

Smokin' SRX
03-30-11, 08:44 PM
Jioanna, you there? Any news/comments?

RippyPartsDept
03-30-11, 09:08 PM
on advise of counsel she has stopped blogging here and everywhere

jcapps
03-31-11, 01:31 AM
Perhaps she just found out about the site. Not everyone lives in front of their computers like we do. ;)When I first joined this forum I loved my STS. When I got my SRX and posted about some problems I was attacked in a thread and in pm's.
If you have issues with your SRX contact the local GM rep. Most posters here are upset when one posts about issues with their SRX. Where I find on other forums that folks join in and offer help, here you are immediately labeled a troll or a spammer.

I still love GM and currently own 10 gm vehicles. But when I had problems with my SRX I was labeled anti american. I would never buy another srx but I would buy another Cadillac

PJ1520
03-31-11, 11:10 AM
When I first joined this forum I loved my STS. When I got my SRX and posted about some problems I was attacked in a thread and in pm's.
If you have issues with your SRX contact the local GM rep. Most posters here are upset when one posts about issues with their SRX. Where I find on other forums that folks join in and offer help, here you are immediately labeled a troll or a spammer.

I still love GM and currently own 10 gm vehicles. But when I had problems with my SRX I was labeled anti american. I would never buy another srx but I would buy another Cadillac

JCAPPS.......Welcome back. I am certain I speak for most of us here when I say your input here is valued and opinions respected.

All of us, myself included, must remain sensitive about what we say and how we say it when posting in a public forum. Blowing off steam is acceptable. Indirectly or directly criticizing others by commission or omision is not.

I will not debate the fact that some of us have issues with our SRXs, arguably too many issues. Nor will I debate the fact that Cadillac and the SRX are not the highest ranked brand and model in initial build quality or long-term reliability. The stats are what they are. I knew these risks going in when I bought my SRX. But I but bought it anyway. I expected a higher aggravation factor, a higher incidence of repair, right down to what others had already experienced.

Why did I let my common sense write that check anyway?

Because an SRX is what I wanted, regardless of the downsides and increased risks. I was ready to accept that my SRX might be in the shop more often than one neighbor's MDX or a friend's RX350. I bought a warranty extension to mitigate my risks over a long period of time. No regrets.

My neighbor and my friend might shoot out a "Why would you buy the SRX when you knew full well that there were better, more reliable, higher quality alternatives open to you?"

The answer is preference.

Better for them is not necessarily better for me. My preferences are not necessarily your preferences. And I am willing to accept, and to pay for, those inherent risks to get my preference. Leave me alone with those downsides, knowing I am satisfied with my choice and enjoy it.

When my neighbor or my friend cross the line and criticize my judgements in things automotive, which in their mind are stupid and unnecessary (and for the money), they are calling me stupid. They are insulting me. They are insulting my choice. They are insulting my preference. For me, the only thing worse thing a person can verbally criticize and attack other than my car choice is my wife!!!!!!!!

So when someone in a forum and excoriates GM, Cadillac, or the SRX, they are bound to strike a nerve with owners of the marque. They are going to get a backlash, and a strong one, as sure as I am typing this response.

Some of the backlash will be from folks like me who accepted the risk to get my reward. Some of the backlash will come from folks who are experiencing relatively few issues, if any. Some of the backlash will come from folks angry about the loss of U.S. jobs and what they perceive as outright treason, a person denigrating American manufacturers while threatening to dump their SRX and buy foreign, as the OP did in this thread. Some of the backlash will come from folks who see the "offending" poster comparing apples to oranges, a less expensive SRX to a significantly more expensive foreign alternative. Some forum folks simply detest whining and complaining from posters who rant yet take little substantive action over time to rectify their particular situation. And the list goes on.

People want solutions. They gravitate and support problem solvers. And as we have seen in the thread where the OP with a 2010 SRX, in exasperation and despair, finally took up a Lemon Law action against GM/Cadillac, the forum support was overwhelingly supportive. Why? Because the oppressed and inexperienced (in such matters) OP presented their situation in a non-complaining, ever persistent way that won over the respect and admiration of the peanut gallery. She wasn't throwing hand grenades over the bunker or creating collateral damage with other SRX owners.

Just don't pee on my shoe and we'll get along well.

I am glad you are posting again. Let's get back to helping each other solving issues and rationalizing our choices. Maybe one of these days I will explain why I chose the SRX color I did or why I prefer my wife over the other choices I had. The wife didn't come with an extended warranty. :devil:

PJ

PS: I still managed to sleep comfotably last night depite the original posters "Rip and run."

strykr14
03-31-11, 11:49 AM
This kind of stuff irks me. I'm a car enthusiast and I am active in forums that discuss whatever particular car I'm driving. Most people that post on car forums are car guys/girls and like their vehicle more than the average joe. So it's bad taste to go one a forum and post under a title like "Don't buy the SRX or a GM." If you have legitimate problem (like she seems to have) saying that GM sucks and the SRX is a peice of crap will not get you much help (most replies here have been negative to her, rightly so).

Asking questions or asking for help/opinions will get you alot farther on any forum than knocking the vehicle the forum is based on (even if it has given you a lot of problems).

Ponyman
03-31-11, 12:24 PM
VERY well said PJ and Stryker

RippyPartsDept
03-31-11, 12:44 PM
another excellent post by PJ1520! :thumbsup:

Smokin' SRX
03-31-11, 04:24 PM
Nails it, guys! Well said.

Rippy, how do you know this??

But PJ, say what you will about my wife, but my cars............... LOL

SS

RippyPartsDept
03-31-11, 05:09 PM
Smokin', i made that comment (post #16) with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek ...

Smokin' SRX
03-31-11, 06:35 PM
OK. My bad. I thought maybe she PM'd you or something. Who could resist that face!!? LOL Ya won't see me here! She'd never call! LOL

SS

RippyPartsDept
03-31-11, 09:04 PM
Who could resist that face!!?

apparently lots of women aged 18-35

PJ1520
04-01-11, 07:50 AM
For me, the only thing worse thing a person can verbally criticize and attack other than my car choice is my wife!!!!!!!!

PJ

Needs explanation......if you verbally criticize her, she'll mow you down with the SRX, twice just to make sure. Not good. I have a $1,000 deductible.

PJ

Al15905
04-01-11, 08:20 PM
"Some of the backlash will come from folks angry about the loss of U.S. jobs and what they perceive as outright treason, a person denigrating American manufacturers while threatening to dump their SRX and buy foreign, as the OP did in this thread. Some of the backlash will come from folks who see the "offending" poster comparing apples to oranges, a less expensive SRX to a significantly more expensive foreign alternative. "

You realize the SRX is made in Mexico - I assume?
Al

RippyPartsDept
04-01-11, 09:21 PM
assembled in mexico

TheCaptain
04-02-11, 07:27 AM
"Some of the backlash will come from folks angry about the loss of U.S. jobs and what they perceive as outright treason, a person denigrating American manufacturers while threatening to dump their SRX and buy foreign, as the OP did in this thread. Some of the backlash will come from folks who see the "offending" poster comparing apples to oranges, a less expensive SRX to a significantly more expensive foreign alternative. "

Al

And what's your point? Last time i checked, GM's headquarters was still in Detriot Michigan, and Mexico was still attached to the US!
I see no viability in whatever it is you are trying to insinuate. :suspect:

Smokin' SRX
04-02-11, 11:31 AM
apparently lots of women aged 18-35

lmao!!

Smokin' SRX
04-02-11, 12:15 PM

Al

I'm a fair, non-condemning kinda guy, however, I've been called a "Flag Waiver" ( and worse!) by some family/friends, because my motto is "Buy American, whenever possible! Guilty. I simply believe our kids/grandkids will have to learn how to say " ...do you want French Fries with that order?"..... if we don't start to manufacture/Research and Develop more products in the USA. Even if it costs 5% MORE when I buy it! Assembling cars in Mexico ( to obviously skirt the UAW wages scale) bothers me but at least the corp. profit comes back home. And Canada is a good trade partner/neighbor and they BUY many American sleds, (does Japan? Germany?) so let them assemble some too! Quid-pro-quo. No, I'm not happy about the totally blurred scenario, but if I bought a Toyota, (even if assembled here) I know where the bulk of the R&D money (and patents, as well as much of the parts sourcing) will go. Japan.

It's the R&D money and Corp. profits, and Patents that will dictate who controls the future...................... and our jobs. Talk to an elder about WWII, and which companies saved our cumulative tail-ends and the World's! It wasn't Peugeot, Mercedes or Nippondenso .......

Also how Radar saved Britain! Glad we had it. (read if interested: http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/02/dayintech_0226 )

I make the best of an imperfect world and ask my family to at least LOOK at US car brands, but many simply will not......period. Seen Detroit lately? Many of my friends are now out of work, from GM sub-sourcing companies, right in my own state of NY. Very sad.

Yes, I know it's a complicated/multi-layered issue, but buying domestically sure won't hurt our futures......... or our allies.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.
Peace.

SS