: Telescopic Steering Wheel

Ramtin
03-26-11, 04:42 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone know if a telescopic steering wheel from a 1980-1984 Deville would fit on a 1989 Brougham? I would really like to replace my Brougham leather wheel for the Telescopic wood grain one on the Deville. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ram

outsider
03-26-11, 08:38 AM
i think it should fit...if not you could get one from an 87 brougham. mine has tilt and telescope and woodgrain.

MudAnt
03-26-11, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure if you could change it to telescopic without changing the whole steering column, anyone know how the telescopic wheel actually works?

jayoldschool
03-26-11, 12:45 PM
You must match the wheel to the column. If the car has a tele column, you can swap on any tele wheel. I put a leather wheel from a later FWB on my 81. The pics are in my coupe project thread.

Ramtin
03-26-11, 02:19 PM
How do you know if your car has a telescopic wheel column?

jayoldschool
03-26-11, 02:46 PM
Top of the wheel, behind the horn pad, there will be a small lever that slides back and forth. Move the lever to unlock, then pull/push the wheel towards/away from you, then slide the lever the other way to lock.

Ramtin
03-26-11, 04:03 PM
Oh, so thats what that lever is for!! Ok Jay you've done it again. Thank you for your assistance!

outsider
03-26-11, 04:05 PM
yeah when I first got my 87 this guy i know was like "oh you have the telescoping wheel!" and I was like "wtf is that?" lol he got in and showed me and I was like :O amazing!

It's a pretty cool feature.

cadillac kevin
03-26-11, 05:36 PM
I didn't know what that lever was for either when I first got the car. took me a while to figure it out. I moved it to unlock position (opposite of how it was normally) and drove around to see what would happen. lo and behold, the wheel moved towards me. made it a whole lot easier to drive with the wheel towards me.

Ramtin
03-26-11, 05:48 PM
I just ordered this one. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=390300763700

cosmo
03-27-11, 10:44 PM
Just FWIW: Cadillacs never came with just a tilt wheel. It was either solid column, or tilt-tele, no other way.
The tilt mechanism is simplicity itself: imagine two tubes that just slide together. slit the smaller one down the side closest to the end, but not through to the end, about 1 inch. Weld that end shut. Weld a nut atop the other end. Now take a wedge, insert into the slot, place a rod on top of that, and tighten the rod with a screw through the nut. That screw is what the lever (or horn button on really early models) turns.

The column below the tele mechanism is the same, but to swop you will need everything above the tilt knuckle, and it's probably easier to swop whole columns. And columns definitely have eras, '65 - '68; '69 - '76; '77 - airbag.

Cosmo

outsider
03-28-11, 09:04 AM
i think my 95 is a tilt but not telescope...unless I haven't figured out how to telescope it :(

Stess
03-28-11, 09:30 AM
i think my 95 is a tilt but not telescope...unless I haven't figured out how to telescope it :(

Same here on my -95. Unfortunately my car is still at winter storage so I cannot look at it right now.

robb257731
03-28-11, 10:26 AM
LOL, my 92 had the telescopic steering....I had never had that on a car before. Old Edward was a bit of a junkheap...the first time I flipped the switch to pull the wheel towards me, the entire wheel came off in my hand. Fortunately I had a FSM and it was easy to put back on.

cosmo
03-28-11, 08:46 PM
Sorry - I don't play with newer Caddys, so I overlooked that they were/are not tilt-tele.
COsmo

My_favorite_Brougham
03-29-11, 08:35 PM
Any Cadillac with an airbag doesn't have tele feature, just tilt. Before airbags, it was both or nothing.

SilverCoupe
03-30-11, 02:29 PM
My 89 CDV had tele/tilt then my 90 deville had the first yr. for Airbag = not Tele. I also think that the 2000 or so generations came back w/ the Tele option or something again, of course while maintaining the airbag feature. I really do miss the Tele option on my 3 Caddys....

Ramtin
04-05-11, 04:21 AM
Hi guys,
I recently received my wood grain steering wheel, which I will be promptly swapping out for my leather one. Does anyone know how difficult it is to change steering wheels? Can it be done using a wrench set? I'm not changing the entire column, just the wheel. Any pointers would be appreciated.

cosmo
04-05-11, 08:19 PM
Go to NAPA and get a wheel removal tool kit. The wheel is on a locking taper.

Cosmo

jayoldschool
04-05-11, 09:12 PM
Ramtin, I have pics in my coupe project thread. Pretty easy to do.

Ramtin
04-05-11, 11:39 PM
Hey Jay,
Just found your Coupe Project thread...really motivational stuff man! I wish I was that handy with my car, but never too late to learn a thing or two. Regarding swapping the wheel...I saw the pics, but they weren't very detailed. Do you think I would be able to make a swap with a wrench set?

Cosmo,
What comes in a wheel removal tool kit? I just spent some money on a wrench set and am wondering if that's enough?

Thanks guys!

jayoldschool
04-06-11, 11:01 AM
You can borrow/rent a wheel removal tool from any of the parts stores. It won't be in a wrench set. However, they are really cheap at Harbor Freight.

Here's what you get:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/cartools/images/otc-7403.jpg

And here's how you use it. The two bolts thread into the steering wheel hub, then the bolt in the middle presses on the steering column to pop the wheel off.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/articles/images/pullsteering/photo6.jpg

Ramtin
04-07-11, 12:32 AM
Hi Jay,
I went ahead and had a mechanic take care of it. But I watched him do the whole thing exactly as you described above. It looks and feels great man! I love those grooves where my fingers rest on the back side of the steering wheel. Thanks for your time and guidance! I really appreciate what you do here on the forum!!
Ram