: My second Track Day

pmsteinm
03-25-11, 04:11 PM
Yesterday my wife and I did the Rezoom motorsports event at VIR. We both were in the novice (with instructor) group and got 5 30-minute sessions. I drove the V, my wife drove her 2007 335i (manual w/sport suspension). Unlike my last session where I ran the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+, this time I had a new set of the stock PS2s. My wife's car has Pilot Sport A/S+ tires.

I felt I did much better this time, pegging the G meter at 1.07 left, .93 right (vs .88 left/right last time). I didn't get the same top speeds (only 130 this time vs 145) since my instructor had me focusing on the turns, but I was getting around the track faster. I felt much more confident this time because I 1) flushed the brake fluid with Motul, and 2) had summer tires.

My wife also did very well especially since this was her 1st time on the track. She appreciates her car a lot more now, and wants to go again (which is good since I want to too).

One the way home my wife's car started making a weird thumping noise at 40mph..turned out her tires had a thick coating of rubber on the treads plus a bunch of little stones embedded in the tread in various places. The V had it as well but more evenly distributed. Both cars have smoothed out as this extra rubber has worn off.

Those of you that have never tracked this car should try to at least once. You will really appreciate your car more after that.

thebigjimsho
03-25-11, 05:52 PM
I need to move closer to VIR...

baabootoo
03-26-11, 12:14 AM
Yep, it's challenging and addicting.

BluMachine
03-26-11, 01:04 AM
Tracked my C5 Z06 at Sebring many times. Very addictive and expensive. Lots of brake pads, rotors and tires.

I was intermediate solo running with Chin motorsports on Nitto R compounds with lots of camber. That car was a lot of fun. I do miss going out there, but it's a lot of work. I was completely rung out after a day at Sebring. I will probably take the v out to Sebring at some point.

DrumStix
03-26-11, 07:37 AM
I need to move closer to VIR...

54 miles away here. I love that track. I have not had the V out there though.

odla
03-26-11, 08:01 AM
Track days are awesome lol. Sebring is hard all around. Its so bumpy. Really works the car. i live in Miami so i hit homestead more.

Somefun
03-26-11, 08:57 AM
Are you guys running stick or auto's? I'm going to hit the track this year with my auto v.... I've tracked my e46 M3 6 speed alot and it was a great car on the track. I'm hoping my auto trans is pretty good on the track.

thebigjimsho
03-26-11, 01:07 PM
Are you guys running stick or auto's? I'm going to hit the track this year with my auto v.... I've tracked my e46 M3 6 speed alot and it was a great car on the track. I'm hoping my auto trans is pretty good on the track.
If you get your V tuned, I'm sure it can be even better. I love the rev matching on downshifts the auto does. It just needs to be quicker...

PhxTriode
03-26-11, 01:30 PM
I think it's awesome that your wife is envolved with you and tracks her car.

Torxila
03-26-11, 03:02 PM
OK, I'll be "THAT GUY", does she have a sister?

Man if I go over 100, or a bit sideways, the little lady freaks out. I've asked her to come to a track event before but no interest.

You lucky bastage!
George

Somefun
03-26-11, 06:55 PM
If you get your V tuned, I'm sure it can be even better. I love the rev matching on downshifts the auto does. It just needs to be quicker...

It's been tuned....she makes 583 at the wheels and thr trans has a tune also....

AlvinT
03-27-11, 04:05 AM
Track Days are fun!!

Teutonaddict
03-27-11, 10:09 AM
OK, I'll be "THAT GUY", does she have a sister?

Man if I go over 100, or a bit sideways, the little lady freaks out. I've asked her to come to a track event before but no interest.

You lucky bastage!
George

When I first read this on my phone, THAT was my reaction!! You ARE one lucky bastage. I've tried for years to attract my bride to an HDPE with no success. Oh, well.

My older brother has been hinting to me and my third bro that we need a pilgrimmage to VIR. It's been getting more frequent lately...

My first track event was at Sebring. Found a nail in my tire the week before so put a brand new tread on the front-left. That tire looked like it had 40K miles after two days. (it was a 540i/6--another heavy pig). I went with dedicated track wheels/tires after that!

thebigjimsho
03-27-11, 11:58 AM
It's been tuned....she makes 583 at the wheels and thr trans has a tune also....
How is the shifting now??

Somefun
03-27-11, 07:21 PM
How is the shifting now??

Its way better than stock for sure but I really want to see how she goes on the track. I'm going to head to Watkins Glen May 2,3 for the first time in my V.... its such a great track!!! I can't wait to see how the V goes there...

thebigjimsho
03-30-11, 10:04 PM
Excellent! Poast up pics and stuff...

Somefun
04-09-11, 07:24 PM
Well I have new new 850 injectors, era cai, hawk DTS70 front and 60 rears, ss lines and Amsoil fluid... getting ready for the track May 2,3 !!!!! Whoo Hoo can't wait!