: Picking Up New CTS-V Wagon Monday, Clear Coat has some swirls, light scratches.

WhyJackson
03-25-11, 12:46 PM
Really looking forward to picking up new wagon, haven't had a sleeper like this since my '70 Toronado GT. I ordered car, it came in Tuesday, 18" snow storm Wednesday, streets to crappy to pick up car on Friday but I thought I would pay for and check it out. Let myself get talked into the armour all paint protection warranty. While checking out car today I noticed a number of light scratches and swirls. A couple scratches need to be buffed out. I can be kinda of picky and am wondering if I'm being overly so. Should I expect a pristine finish on this car or is there no such thing, even on a new car. Thanks for you comments.

MReiland
03-25-11, 12:55 PM
I don't think it should have left the factory with any swirls or scratches, it would have been flagged in the final line. During the cleaning, is there any chance your dealer's porters had their way with it?

WhyJackson
03-25-11, 01:02 PM
As I said, I was talked into the Armour All Protection Warranty, which also included a "5-step" procedure on the car's finish, done by the dealer, prior to me seeing it. Wondering if this is the source of the problem? Forgot to mention the color is Thunder Gray.

shade
03-25-11, 01:20 PM
Step 1 for these new cars - clear bra.
Step 2 you can tell rock chips to go eat sh!t

cbloveday
03-25-11, 02:15 PM
Unacceptable. I would have it repaired by dealer. Notify them asap.

hulksdaddy
03-25-11, 03:10 PM
Unacceptable. I would have it repaired by dealer. Notify them asap.

Problem is, they'll eff it up even more.

Swirls and scratches probably came from the removing the snow with a brush, or even with their arms. Not hard to mar these paint jobs.

My suggestion, find a good detailer to get them out, or do it yourself. With the proper tools, product, and technique, swirls and light scratches are a piece of cake to remove.

thebigjimsho
03-25-11, 03:12 PM
I would take it and fix it myself. The dealer would probably just use a filler anyway to make it look good. And after a few washes you'd have a swirled mess again. A mild polish and a coat of wax and you're good to go.

My '04 had 2 swirls marks from where the dealer obviously prepped it. And I don't feel comfortable with a dealer since I think their body and detail shops want speed, not so much in accuracy. So I took it home and hit those swirls with Griot's Garage Machine Polish 3 and a Porter Cable random orbital. Waxed the entire car when I was done and it was perfect.

hulksdaddy
03-25-11, 03:15 PM
I would take it and fix it myself. The dealer would probably just use a filler anyway to make it look good. And after a few washes you'd have a swirled mess again. A mild polish and a coat of wax and you're good to go.

My '04 had 2 swirls marks from where the dealer obviously prepped it. And I don't feel comfortable with a dealer since I think their body and detail shops want speed, not so much in accuracy. So I took it home and hit those swirls with Griot's Garage Machine Polish 3 and a Porter Cable random orbital. Waxed the entire car when I was done and it was perfect.

My V had some. Used Griots Garage Random orbital and Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, followed by 2 coats of Zaino.

Like budda bradda, like budda.

pmsteinm
03-25-11, 03:55 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as too picky...if you don't feel comfortable with the swirls/scratches, make them fix it.

That said, it seems like unless you are anal-retentive swirls are going to happen. Since I am AR I don't have any swirls. I told the dealer I ordered from not to wash the car or remove any of the "packaging". So when I picked it up my car looked like it came off a train (even had rust spots on the chrome from the railroad dust). After I washed it myself using 2 cloths per section it looked great (once going over light, next time with more pressure). To date I'm the only one to ever have washed my car. And once pollen starts (last week) I don't dare wash again until it's all done.

I should note that my wife makes fun of how AR I am when I wash my car....

Razorecko
03-26-11, 12:41 PM
Problem is, they'll eff it up even more.

Swirls and scratches probably came from the removing the snow with a brush, or even with their arms. Not hard to mar these paint jobs.

My suggestion, find a good detailer to get them out, or do it yourself. With the proper tools, product, and technique, swirls and light scratches are a piece of cake to remove.

I completely agree. Get it fixed yourself by a proffessional. DO NOT have the dealership fix it.

thebigjimsho
03-26-11, 01:26 PM
I still say do it yourself. Griot's has a great detailers handbook that shows you everything you need to know. I had waxed cars before but hadn't detailed as much as when I had gotten my V. Now, I keep my cars spotless without worry...

Nutz
03-26-11, 06:26 PM
I'd say all questions answered, now how about pics of that 70 Toro? I have a 68 in the barn that is optioned like a W-34 GT. Buckets, console, dual exhaust, and 390 horse 455.

WhyJackson
03-27-11, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Unfortunately the Toro's I had, a 70 and a 70 GT are both long gone and near impossible to find anymore. Again thanks for the help. Here's a couple old picks from way back.

Nutz
03-27-11, 02:17 AM
Rare color. Nice. :thumbsup:

Low Rider
03-27-11, 02:01 PM
As others have said either do it yourself with a quality orbital polisher and good polish and wax or take it to a detail shop that specializes in high end cars (not used car clean up). It is very unlikely that your car came with the swirl marks from the factory. Auto assembly plants go to great lengths to protect the finish of new cars, they are covered with protective pads from front to back during the assembly process to make sure they are delivered without paint scratches. Also clear coat paint is not buffed out at the assembly plants, it doesn't need it.
Unfortunately the opposite it true at many dealers. They will run your new car through their quickie brush car wash and dry it with the same towel that they just finished drying the car that came in for service that hadn't been washed in a month. Snow it often wiped off with a broom and if it is just dusty, wipe it down with the same rag they used on the last ten cars they prepped....
Your swirl marks most likely came from the paint protection that you paid extra for.....NEVER EVER fall for this so called paint protection, it is nothing more than a poor wax job usually applied by untrained personnel. First is that you will often get more damage than protection, second clear coat paint doesn't need paint protection (that is what the clear coat does), third they charge way more than a professional detail shop will charge you for a better job applied by trained people that do hundreds of cars.
Sorry for the long rant but this is one of my pet peeves :) A quality buff with mild polish and three coats of Zanio will make your Thunder gray shine like the stars...it did mine:):)