: Need Ideas

Pjs
10-05-04, 05:30 PM
Help me out here guys....

I was fixin to drop the cradle on my 95 SLS to fix the oil pan a few weeks ago, but ended up with a bad case of the flu. So now I'm set to try it again week after next. I think I have everything I need, even found a smoking deal on a new engine hoist. I'll be doing this @ my gf's father's house. The driveway isn't smooth concrete, instead it's more like the top layer is exposed so it looks like pea gravel. Not the smoothest thing to try and roll a jack on. I have 3 jacks but they are not the standard shop size, more like an inbetween the shop jack and the little ones you get at Walmart. This surface is going to be a bitch to try and get the cradle out from under the car with. I know there is a powertrain dolly that GM uses, but I can't find a pic of one to build. One thought did occur to me and that would be to use 4 pneumatic tires (small ones) on spindles. I don't know if it would be possible to put the spindles through the holes where the body attaching bolts come through the frame. This thought would seriously make my life a lot easier for moving the cradle not to mention getting it back into place. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated more than you could believe.

Patrick

sts96
10-05-04, 07:56 PM
Made a support for my cradle by bolting togather 2x6 and 2x4 lumber, mounted wheels a the corners with 3/8 bolts thru the wood and caster plates made it the cradle size. my wheels are 2.50x4 only 2 of them swivel mine are pneumatic wish they were solid they looked half flat with max pressure when loaded were hard to move on my asphalt drive. be sure to use max reach on the hoist to give your self room between hoist and bumper to park the powertrain so you can let the body down on stands. wish I had used swivel on all four.
sts96

Pjs
10-05-04, 11:33 PM
I was wondering if wood would be strong enough to support that kind of weight. I'm assuming that the 6" side was vertical w/ the 2 x 4's as crossmembers? I plan on using swivels on all 4 corners. I may just opt for some 3" angle iron and bolt a frame together that way.

The engine hoist I bought is a 2 ton, I'm hoping that is strong enough to lift the body.

eldorado1
10-06-04, 12:02 AM
Wood can hold up a house, which weighs a lot more than a car right? ;) I think on my cradle dolly, I used 2 stacked 2x4's in a rectangle with swivel casters on the corners. Worked really well, but was tough to get moving :) Just keep your bodily parts away from harm in case your homebuilt structure collapses or fractures or something.

oh, btw- buy your casters by the load rating on them. You want a bare *minimum* of 1,000 pounds total, or 250lbs/caster.

zonie77
10-06-04, 12:11 AM
The body itself is light so the 2 ton lift will be fine. One of the old board members made a metal cradle but he never sent me a pic. I'm thinking of making a metal cradle if I do another.

DaveC
10-06-04, 04:50 PM
Hey Patrick,
Interesting project. I recently completed similar project with my 95 STS. Made the dolly from 2x4's and 4 pneumatic tires mounted in line just forward of the CG (Slight nose down force). Pulled it with my riding mower. Hope the pics help. I have more pics and info if you need them.
Good Luck
DaveC

Pjs
10-06-04, 05:56 PM
Great Ideas! I know what I need to do now. I also want to tell all y'all how much I love this board and the members that post here. This board has really gotten to be such a routine part of my life. First thing in the morning with my coffee I have to read all the new messages, problems and solutions....I love you guys! :thumbsup: