: 1995 Fleetwood, shock broke through trunk? Fot it or junk it?

caddyking2010
03-24-11, 10:18 PM
Just bought a 1995, great deal for a fixer upper? But I didn't fully inspect car. Once home found pass. air shock ripped a hole in trunk (sad now). I pulled trunk carpet and seen 2 holes where shocks should be at? What to do Im not too far in money wise. I bought as a fixer upper. Old owner told me it needs shocks and fuel line replaced. So I don't really know if engine starts, undercarriage is rusted, noticed broken parts in bottom frame do to rust? I really didn't do my homework on this car.

Now I'm lost for words, now the car is mine, what to do? part it out, sale whole or junk it.

sven914
03-24-11, 10:33 PM
Post pictures of the damage. You may be able to patch the trunk and if the shock mount is still intact, you can replace the shock. Take some pictures of the undercarriage if you can.

How much did you pay? Parting it out would be time consuming, but if done right would give the biggest kickback. You should try to get it running and then make a list of all of the problems.

csbuckn
03-24-11, 11:08 PM
Get rid of it. Rusty in Florida? Gas line is rusted, next is the brake lines. If the shocks went through, who knows how the rest of the suspension is. I can tell you from flipping car in MN, rust is the enemy!!! Then you gotta figure out how the trunk got rusted, probably from the vinyl top.... But I could be wrong. Thefleetwoodguy will probably know what the best option is for you.

cadillac_al
03-25-11, 09:22 AM
Sounds like terminal cancer from the rust belt. I don't work on rust any more because the junkyards are full of cars with no rust that get crushed every day. Why try to save a rust bucket when there are better cars out there?

cadillac kevin
03-25-11, 01:15 PM
I say sell what you can- the entire interior, drivetrain (if it works), and whatever exterior pieces are salvageable, and send it on its way to the junkyard (they'll probably give you $50 for the carcass as scrap). if the car has extensive frame rust, which caused the shock mount or part of the frame to break, its pretty much toast.

jayoldschool
03-25-11, 03:49 PM
If you are taking the car to the scrapper, you are going to get a lot more than 50 bucks.

turbojimmy
03-25-11, 05:54 PM
Sounds like junk - sorry. In order for the shocks to come through the trunk, the frame has to go first, then the trunk floor. There's always guys looking for parts here. Thefleetwoodguy can probably give you advice as to what brings the bux and what to send off to the salvage yard.

How are the front inner fender extensions? I could use a set of those :-) This is what I'm taking about:
http://turbojimmy.4t.com/rh_inner_fender.jpg

I need both sides.