: Track Prep

1fast1
03-24-11, 09:25 PM
Hi guys - I recently sold my Viper track car, and thus I'd like to road track my '10 V this summer. Other than brake fluid, what else are guys doing to these cars to get them track ready for the occasional DE day? Are there any creative solutions for a 5 or 6 point harness?

Thanks!

baabootoo
03-24-11, 11:48 PM
You shouldn't need a 5-point for the occasional day, but I did add it to mine for other types of racing. I removed the child safety seat cover, and mounted a stud there. I'll make a cable about 18" long to attach to the back of the seat belts themselves. It's in a straight line from the child seat mount, so no need to worry about spinal compression. By removing the Recaro headrest, the belts fit right inside the recess there. My intent is to mount the lap belts right over the standard ones now, like I've done in other cars. I'll look for a spot to attach the anti-submarine belt, or drill a hole in the floor under the seat as a last resort.

Silver -V-
03-25-11, 09:54 AM
If you will be tracking often, you will want some better brake pads. The OEM pads get very "gummy" under heat. They don't fade much, but they really leave a lot of material on the rotors that takes a week or so to work off after a good session. The OEM rotors also seem to get a lot of small spider web cracks after 4 or 5 hot sessions in a day. You may want to get the Brembo track rotors from your dealer.

Some people have had issues with their Differential overheating. I haven't had this issue since I flushed the original fluid and replaced and filled with fresh. There are a few differential coolers which is a good add-on, but not needed for all cars. It depends on the track and how long your sessions run. A HPDE with 30 minute sessions shouldn't be too tough on the differential IF you change fluids regularly.

As for belts. There is no harness made for the V's set up that will just clip in. BMW has a better set up on that with Schroth. I like Baboo's solution, and I may follow his lead, but for the occasional track day, the CG lock works well for this car.

When you get to the track more often, think about competition springs and bigger roll/anti-sway bars.

BeagleBrains
03-25-11, 10:44 AM
".. ... There are a few differential coolers, ...a good add-on.."
Examples of such Diff Coolers: ? Please.

Silver -V-
03-25-11, 12:48 PM
D3 has one on their site, and GM offers one through your dealer. If you go to a trackside fab shop, they can also cobble one together for you.

Dr. Design
03-25-11, 02:45 PM
Hello,
Actually we are finishing up a track car now that has been prepped for the upcoming race season.

This is what we are using on this track build:
Motul 660 RBF
Custom Setrab Trans Cooler
D3 Differential Cooler
D3 Braided Brake Lines
D3/Alcon UK 2-piece rotors
D3 Competition Springs
D3 Sway Bars
D3 Chassis Bracing
Integrated Front Brake Ducts
Racepads (Track use ONLY)
Plus much more..... :cool2:

If you are not looking to go that extreme, we would at least suggest the following:

http://www.d3cadillac.com/graphics/releases/D3%20CTS-V%20Track%20Pack.jpg
http://www.d3cadillac.com/graphics/ads/D3%20PMP%20All.ABC.jpg
We have also put together these simple performance maintenance programs for situations just like this.

I not sure about "creative" ways to safely mount a 5 or 6 point harness without a proper harness bar installed. But one could always try to run the extra long harnesses to the back seats and extend them forward to the front mounting points.....:hmm: not quite sure how that all will work for tech, but it wouldn't take much to try. Or you can just install a cage?
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/IMG_2262.jpg

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Hi guys - I recently sold my Viper track car, and thus I'd like to road track my '10 V this summer. Other than brake fluid, what else are guys doing to these cars to get them track ready for the occasional DE day? Are there any creative solutions for a 5 or 6 point harness?

Thanks!

baabootoo
03-26-11, 12:39 AM
Yep, a cage sure would be nice........ I'm still going to steal their idea of wire tying the Kodak video camera to the lower grill!!!!

odla
03-26-11, 08:02 AM
Get a gopro camera. You will love it.

1fast1
03-26-11, 09:10 AM
Thanks D3. For the kit with the dif cooler... how easy is that to take on and off. My car is a lease and I want to give it back "stock". I'm near Chicago, are there places you'd recommend to put it on?

baabootoo
03-26-11, 02:18 PM
......or a Contour HD. they each have different niches.

Dr. Design
03-28-11, 04:50 PM
Hello,
Very easy to install and remove. No permanent modifications to the vehicle are required with our system. We use all pre-existing mounting points and provide all the hardware required for installation.

Most mechanically inclined places can do this install. The kit does come with instructions and access to our in-house installers and technicians if they get mixed up along the install. We have a dealer in the Detroit area if you are close?

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Thanks D3. For the kit with the dif cooler... how easy is that to take on and off. My car is a lease and I want to give it back "stock". I'm near Chicago, are there places you'd recommend to put it on?

Junior1
03-28-11, 06:39 PM
more pics of the cage for a V1 please...

Dr. Design
03-28-11, 06:47 PM
Here you go....

http://www.d3cadillac.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/MSL-01.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/BackSeat.jpg

Fuel Cell for the adventurous types -
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/photo.jpg

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

more pics of the cage for a V1 please...

rjoffe
03-29-11, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if the wife would notice if I got a cage like that ?????

mberisha
03-29-11, 11:23 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if the wife would notice if I got a cage like that ?????

Nah...you should be good...tell her it's a place to hang the Wal-Mart bags so they don't slop around the trunk or back seat!

rjoffe
03-29-11, 12:25 PM
So you are saying all I really need is to add a few hooks from the top of the rollbar ? :)

mberisha
03-29-11, 12:28 PM
So you are saying all I really need is to add a few hooks from the top of the rollbar ? :)

Exactly...sounds like someones getting a roll cage.....ummmm....I mean a "Premium Grocery Bag Organizer"....

1fast1
03-29-11, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone. Has anyone tried just putting a harness bar into the car?

D3 - where did you get that tow hook on the front? awesome!

Dr. Design
03-29-11, 04:54 PM
On the black CTS-V? That is the factory tow hook.

As far as the harness bar only. That could be of interest for us from a production standpoint. It wouldn't serve as rollover protection but it would do the job for a racing harness...? Any interest?

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Thanks everyone. Has anyone tried just putting a harness bar into the car?

D3 - where did you get that tow hook on the front? awesome!

1fast1
03-29-11, 07:59 PM
The tow hook looks Red in one of the pictures... sticking out of th grill. Mine doesn't have that from the factory... how do I get that?

As for the harness bar - I might be interested. What I'm looking for is something that doesn't interfere with my kids in the back seat (or better yet can be removed easily after the track day). It would also have to be able to be unnoticable for the lease return.

Junior1
03-29-11, 09:31 PM
I like the cage in the V2 pic better than the one in the V1 that you posted. Much cleaner looking and the back seat still looks usable.

Harness bar might be of some interest too...

CruzanTom
03-30-11, 09:24 AM
Actually we are finishing up a track car now that has been prepped for the upcoming race season.
Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Nice car. Is it for TT or racing? What class is it running in? I could not make out the class designation in the photos.

Tom

Dr. Design
03-30-11, 01:28 PM
Hello,
Well the car I was talking about that we were setting up actually doesn't have a cage in it. That is a different car. The other cars that you see pictured are setup for different types of racing. The V1 is a road racer/Time Attack/HPDE/ and the V2 is setup for something different (more information on that car in the upcoming month).

Most of the combination's that we provide cages for will obviously depend on use of the vehicle. If the car is required to meet a certain class, then the car will be built to that class.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Nice car. Is it for TT or racing? What class is it running in? I could not make out the class designation in the photos.

Tom

e6t
03-30-11, 02:04 PM
The tow hook looks Red in one of the pictures... sticking out of th grill. Mine doesn't have that from the factory... how do I get that?

i believe that is a strap-on.

camera.

Dr. Design
03-31-11, 04:19 PM
Actually that is a transponder attached to the lower grille.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

i believe that is a strap-on.

camera.