: Black Rubber/Plastic Under Front Bumper

upstater49
03-24-11, 08:18 PM
I just bought a 2008 Lux III about a month ago. At that time the black rubber/plastic piece that runs under the front bumper was in pretty sad shape. Since then I drag it every time I am not paying attention coming out of a convenience store and drag it on the asphalt (forgetting to come out at an angle). Has anyone else had this problem? My warrantee runs out pretty soon and if this is something important to replace, I will...but not if this will be a recurring problem. Would it cause any sort of aerodynamic problem to just remove it? Any input will be appreciated!

Superjim
03-24-11, 08:29 PM
I had to have my front bumper replaced...the new bumper did not come with the black piece.
It does not have the holes in it for the black piece to fasten to.
I lost about 1mpg on the highway...

Jim

c2000
03-25-11, 07:07 AM
I know what you talking about,,angle parking is a problem for most vehs , as you are going to rub the curb with the bottom of the bumper..I don't think this part would be under warranty, I believe this would be a wear and tear item. Those should not cost too much to replace..

Jerry in Minnesota.

Mark58
03-25-11, 08:54 AM
I just bought a 2008 Lux III about a month ago. At that time the black rubber/plastic piece that runs under the front bumper was in pretty sad shape. Since then I drag it every time I am not paying attention coming out of a convenience store and drag it on the asphalt (forgetting to come out at an angle). Has anyone else had this problem? My warrantee runs out pretty soon and if this is something important to replace, I will...but not if this will be a recurring problem. Would it cause any sort of aerodynamic problem to just remove it? Any input will be appreciated!
Nothing to do with your problem, but have you considered buying extended warranty BEFORE old one runs out?

TulsaVic
03-25-11, 07:53 PM
Just gotta pay attention. The only time I get mine is coming out of the driveway. But if I go nice and slow it doesn't touch. Just be grateful you don't have the lack of clearance that the CTS does.

HartfordGuy
03-25-11, 08:42 PM
I've scraped mine a few times pulling in too close at a parking spot. They are black plastic as they are meant to take a beating. Well, to a point that is. You could always buy a new one from your dealers parts dept. I'd be shocked if any dealer would warranty one.

CalDrvr
03-29-11, 09:14 PM
Been there, done that! The replacement is NOT a warranty item as the dealer claims they are damaged when pulling up to curbs or those concrete parking blocks. To have them replace it, the bill will be around $250 give or take a little. Might be a little cheaper to do it yourself, but you'll have a hard time getting it into the car, as it's rather large....

BlackRavenDTS
03-30-11, 07:03 AM
I assume the black plastic/Rubber piece was meant to be scrapped instead of the bumper. Even though that wasnt the case for me last sunday.... I pulled too close to a High concert corner and scraped the bottom of my bumper... :(

It doesnt look too noticeable and I need to replace the damn bumper anyways. There is a rather HUGE dig in the passenger side near the head light. Only noticeable up close.

All in all, just need to be careful is all.

383 LT1 SS
03-30-11, 11:22 AM
Been there, done that! The replacement is NOT a warranty item as the dealer claims they are damaged when pulling up to curbs or those concrete parking blocks. To have them replace it, the bill will be around $250 give or take a little. Might be a little cheaper to do it yourself, but you'll have a hard time getting it into the car, as it's rather large....

If the dealer is quoting $250.00 to replace the black rubber run don't walk away from that deal. That's a complete rip off. It is rather easy to replace that piece if you have a set of car ramps.

383 LT1 SS

upstater49
03-30-11, 07:01 PM
You guys were right...NOT under warranty and they did "offer" to replace it for just under $250. I believe I have seen them on Ebay for a LOT less.
Thanks for the info!

RippyPartsDept
03-30-11, 07:30 PM
i can get you a deal on that part also... shoot me an email if you're interested (i see you're still under ten posts and can't use the PM system yet)

EIGHT2BIARRITZ
04-01-11, 06:21 PM
Don Massey and Rickenbaugh Cadillac in Denver Co. both warr mine im on my second one now you can get right under the car and remove/replace no screws or clips it pulls right out and pops right in cost 125 at dealer also your yellow head lights are known to melt top of housing coverd under warr. good standing with your local dealers always helps...

RippyPartsDept
04-01-11, 07:10 PM
lower front bumper deflector
$132.09 (list price)
$98.00 (forum discount)

i would suggest reusing as many of the push-in retainers as you can since it takes about 12 of them and they list over $2 each

hurleysk8r
06-04-11, 02:34 PM
I have had the same problem. I have owned the car since it was new in 06. The 1st time this happened was with only 550mi on the car and I was taking it on a road trip. The black plastic came off partially at 75 mph. Onstar estimated my wait as 4 hours for a truck, I got under the car on the interstate and ripped it off and kept going. Had the dealer replace it when I got home. No problems until roughly 35K. It began to sag in the front again and drag as you are experiencing. I took it to the dealer again. Only this time the dealer said because of "cosmetic damage" due to Rubbing when I pull out of my driveway they would not fix it and it would be roughly $200. I took it off in their parking lot and have not replaced it. I have not noticed any issues with gas mileage or "drag" I now have 55K.