: Stone chips.. WOW!!!

NROTIK
03-24-11, 07:37 PM
I have a 1 week old 300 mile V coupe.. Before I picked it up I had the clear bra installed on the bumper, hood, and rockers.. Well It looks as if I should have wrapped the whole car because I have a lot of stone chips on the doors and quarter panels (on the flared out section in front of the wheels).. This paint must be very hard for it to chip as much.. My 3 year old c6 doesn't have this many.. Does everyone's V get stone chips like mine??

nradcad
03-24-11, 07:55 PM
Dude, this is a huge complaint with this car. Don't look at the paint or it will chip.

ecorpuz12
03-24-11, 08:08 PM
23k miles...fingers crossed, i've had good luck so far and i frequently encounter construction vehicles/areas during my daily commute. my 07 SRX wasn't so lucky. maybe GM just uses a weak type of paint. my wife's 3series is pretty bad too.

nradcad
03-24-11, 08:12 PM
23k miles...fingers crossed, i've had good luck so far and i frequently encounter construction vehicles/areas during my daily commute. my 07 SRX wasn't so lucky. maybe GM just uses a weak type of paint. my wife's 3series is pretty bad too.

The reason you don't have any chips is your car is white. If you had a black one, you'd see them.

shade
03-24-11, 11:05 PM
Wrap the whole car. I originally wrapped the same as you then I got a stone chip right above where the bra cut off.
I got pissed and had the whole care wrapped that day.

Torxila
03-25-11, 09:40 AM
Are you here in the lovely war zone known as SE MI? Who did your wrap?

Regards,
George

NROTIK
03-25-11, 10:13 AM
Yes in Clinton township... His name is jeff.. He's a mobile guy.. $900 installed for bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and rocker kit... His number is 586 822-7313

cdog533
03-25-11, 10:52 AM
It's the EPA and their 'green' paint requirements that make the paint easy to chip.

Just enjoy it, all cars driven regularly have stone chips. Repaint it every 5 years if they are bothering you.

Natedog
03-25-11, 11:27 AM
if you wrap the entire front end of a Black V (front fascia, front fenders, entire hood) can you notice a difference between the way the paint looks on the hood or fenders compared to the doors or roof? also, what do you do for cleaning/detailing for the wrapped areas going forward? do you clay the entire thing but only wax the non-clear bra'd areas?

shade
03-25-11, 01:08 PM
No need to clay the car but you can still wax it with a non abrasive wax.
As far as your question on the color difference - no you wont notice a difference unless you look at it from an angle you will see the wrap on it. for $2k you can wrap the whole car.
Any body who is over that is ripping you off. IMO

4gear70
03-25-11, 02:21 PM
for $2k you can wrap the whole car.

and your couches and lamp shades as well...

cdog533
03-25-11, 02:31 PM
Yeah, no offense, but I agree that wrapping a car seems like an Italian grandma with the plastic on her furniture. I can say this, I'm Italian, we had plastic...

Things are made to wear out, break, etc. Cars are made to drive, get scratched up, get restored, get beat up again, get restored, etc.

NROTIK
03-25-11, 02:57 PM
If my wife would let me I would have put plastic on my leather couches. I have OCD and don't like scratches, chips, and Dents on anything!! I hate that it's not new anymore and then I have to go buy a new one. I have never owned any vehicle over 2 years!!'

cancuncaddy
03-25-11, 03:11 PM
hello all! im Brian from cancun i am a custom painter mostly high dollar restorations and show cars. if you all get tired of rock chips and or spiderweb microscratches put some paint that matches the quality of youre cadillac on youre cadillac!!! PPG and MERCEDES jointly designed a unique clearcoat its called ceramicclear. check it out read about it USE IT and you will never have problems (if correctly applied!)

Caddy Wagon
03-25-11, 05:23 PM
hello all! im Brian from cancun i am a custom painter mostly high dollar restorations and show cars. if you all get tired of rock chips and or spiderweb microscratches put some paint that matches the quality of youre cadillac on youre cadillac!!! PPG and MERCEDES jointly designed a unique clearcoat its called ceramicclear. check it out read about it USE IT and you will never have problems (if correctly applied!)

Could you top coat a brand new factory paint job with Ceramiclear ?

wfo
03-26-11, 08:56 AM
Have you all seen daily driven Vettes after a year or so.

It's just a fact with cars in general but particularly lower fascia style performance rides. Driving too close to the peeps in front of you. You've got to give yourselves a better cushions between vehicles or break clear and get out in the open. IMHO, following too close is the culprit.

NROTIK
03-26-11, 10:03 AM
My vette looked great!! And the chips I'm getting are in the flared out portion of the rear quarter panels (in front of the wheels).. I don't think that following to close is the problem of this..

Torxila
03-26-11, 11:53 AM
Yes in Clinton township... His name is jeff.. He's a mobile guy.. $900 installed for bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and rocker kit... His number is 586 822-7313

Any chance I could swing by and see what a clear bra set up looks like in person. I have never had this done to any of my cars, but plan on actually keeping this car (more than 2 yrs, also my usual). I'm in Farmington Hills and would love to check it out.
Thanks
George

NROTIK
03-26-11, 04:26 PM
George anytime!! Just send me a pm

wfo
03-26-11, 06:28 PM
My vette looked great!! And the chips I'm getting are in the flared out portion of the rear quarter panels (in front of the wheels).. I don't think that following to close is the problem of this..

Wasn't aware of location on the car you had it....That's called the sandblasting affect...My Z06 and many Z's get that from the wider rear footprint of the tires comes from sandlike material and road debris inherent with road grit.

cancuncaddy
03-27-11, 12:31 AM
certainly you can re clear ALMOSTany factory paint one of my most I reclear BRAND NEW mercedes and Bmw and porsches all the time ceramiclear and almost all other refinish clearcoats are of a urethane composition and as long as you have a properly prepared substrate direct reclear is very straightforward ( taking into account that any chips that have broken the clear or base have to be fixed and or re-based!) there are also many clears on the market that would exhibit FAR superior durability,appearance, and overall performance than the factory clearcoat!

cancuncaddy
03-27-11, 02:52 PM
yes you can drive it from the dealership to youre paintshop .BE SURE ITS A GREAT PAINTER!!!!!) wet sand the entire car with 3M 1000 grit paper .cut ALL of the factory ORANGE PEEL) the texture that prohibits a true wet DEPTH OF IMAGE!!! NO FACTORY CAR IS TRULY SLICK!!.AFTER YOU HAVE THE CAR PROPERLY SANDED.CAREFULLY MASK AND SHOOT .HOPEFULLY WITHOUT BUFFING THE RESULT IS A STAGGERING DIFFERENCE!! . IF NOT YOU MUST SAND AND BUFF WITHIN 2 DAYS OR PACK A COUPLE OF LUNCHES, THIS PAINT CURES BULLETPROOF LIKE POWDERCOAT!!

shade
03-27-11, 09:46 PM
Cancun -
So if I'm understanding right you would pull a factory car sand down the clear and respray. And the new clear coat is super hard. Wont get crappy swirl marks or anything like that?
If so what can one expect to pay for such a job?

jrcmlc
03-27-11, 10:26 PM
I would also like to know...

Joe

Mystical_Ice
03-28-11, 02:15 AM
also interested

shade
03-28-11, 02:50 PM
I did a little research on the ceramiclear and I do see people that arent too into it. They still see swirl marks and chips as well. Just wondering how much it would really help

cdog533
03-28-11, 04:22 PM
Let me get this straight - guys are wrapping their whole car in plastic to avoid repainting it every 5 years.

BUT repainting it, Earl Scheib style, minute one off the lot seems reasonable.

Hmmm. (looking up) We've over done it down here, oh cosmic spirits!!! Some days I just pray for the nukes to fall....