: Problem with 2006 DTS Fuel Filler Door Release

jfannin
03-24-11, 03:20 PM
One day it worked and the next it didn't. It seems as though the small spring loaded release used to "hold" the filler door shut when it was depressed, and of course pushed the door open when the rear center of the door was pressed, as it should.

Now, the release doesn seem to do anything. When you press the door closed it doesn't hold the door shut and the door stays slightly ajar. I took the release out of the car, but it appears to be only a spring and release mechanism, nothing electrical and no cables attached. I am guessing there is a magnet involved? But since the cover of the release (the little rubber boot) is fine I can't imagine it has somehow disappeared. I also tried pressing a small magnet on the end of the release and then putting the boot over it but this doesn't work either.

Any advice or further explanation as to how this works?

My apologies if covered before, I couldn't locate anything on this forum or on the web either, that was helpful.

Jason

HartfordGuy
03-25-11, 09:48 AM
It's not magnetic, just a mechanical spring release. I think you're going to have to just replace it.

jfannin
03-26-11, 11:25 AM
Thank you for the response. I am curious though - if not a magnet, how does the release keep the door closed? Or perhaps the door should "want" to stay closed and the release just pushes it out so that you can get a finger underneath and open it? Maybe the door hinge had a spring which is missing or has a broken spring? The release pops in and out just like it always did. The door never had any kind of "resistance" or felt like it wanted to stay close, on its own.

Jason

Superjim
03-26-11, 12:19 PM
Thank you for the response. I am curious though - if not a magnet, how does the release keep the door closed? Or perhaps the door should "want" to stay closed and the release just pushes it out so that you can get a finger underneath and open it?
Maybe the door hinge had a spring which is missing or has a broken spring?
The release pops in and out just like it always did. The door never had any kind of "resistance" or felt like it wanted to stay close, on its own.

Jason

I just went and checked mine...
The hinge on the door has a spring in it that holds the door closed.
The release that pops in and out is just to make it easier to get your finger under it.
You can actually open the door WITHOUT pushing the release part.
Just hook your fingernail under the edge of the door.
If yours is not going back tight against the body, I would suspect something is wrong with the spring that is in the hinge...not the release that pops in and out.

Texas Jim

jfannin
03-27-11, 04:33 PM
Thanks! That hinge spring is definitely my issue. Much appreciated.

smokinbob
04-01-11, 10:53 PM
i had the same issue you describe. i found that after a previous gas fill-up, i accidently pinched the plastic cable that's attached to the gas cap in the gas door spring. this was preventing the door from closing flush.