: Speedometer not working

deedubb
03-24-11, 11:15 AM
So magically my speedometer is not working. A little background: I busted my clock spring several months back when I did headers which disabled my steering controls and wouldn't allow me to switch to the digital reading speedometer on the dash. The speedometer was and has been working this whole time. Now that I've taken off the maggie, crank pulley, headers etc and put everything back to stock the speedometer doesn't work. My tuner can't find anything wrong. I did a search and found this problem when people messed with the transmission, but I haven't gone near the tranny (VSS Sensor).

Is there a VSS fuse anywhere? I checked but couldn't find anything.
Anything in the engine bay that controls speed?
I did suspension work, could I have damaged a hub sensor wire?

Not sure what to check here

CancerJCC
03-24-11, 03:25 PM
One of the wires you tap into (white IIRC) has something to do with RPM etc. Perhaps you didn't get it spliced back together? Loose connection?

deedubb
03-25-11, 12:43 AM
Which one was that? I looked through the maggie install procedures but couldnt find it.
EDIT: nevermind, I found the RPM wire, it's part of the magnavolt install. I haven't had a magnavolt for a while now and the speedo worked fine since I took it (magnavolt) off.

Any other ideas?

cts-v2k5
03-25-11, 08:21 AM
I just did the opposite of you...i just installed a maggie headers new crate engine and alot of other stuff i too now have no speedo...I was worried that it may have something to do with the tune from SCTflash but not sure had her on ramps yesterday to check if it was still plugged in...the VSS which it is...also took off my 1-4 skip shift off to double check if that was causing it...no luck i'll let you know later today i dropped it off at my buddies shop cause i finally gave up...let you know...I have a spare VSS since i replaced my tranny and have a spare....

CancerJCC
03-25-11, 10:22 AM
Which one was that? I looked through the maggie install procedures but couldnt find it.
EDIT: nevermind, I found the RPM wire, it's part of the magnavolt install. I haven't had a magnavolt for a while now and the speedo worked fine since I took it (magnavolt) off.

Any other ideas?

Hmmm I would start pulling fuses. G/L

I just did the opposite of you...i just installed a maggie headers new crate engine and alot of other stuff i too now have no speedo...I was worried that it may have something to do with the tune from SCTflash but not sure had her on ramps yesterday to check if it was still plugged in...the VSS which it is...also took off my 1-4 skip shift off to double check if that was causing it...no luck i'll let you know later today i dropped it off at my buddies shop cause i finally gave up...let you know...I have a spare VSS since i replaced my tranny and have a spare....

Interesting. I'm not sure that a simple flash could kill your speedo without other symptoms as well (like theft lock etc etc). Fuses are the easiest place to start looking for you too....g/l