: 2008 sts eng light

Miller Time
03-24-11, 10:26 AM
I just bought my wife a 2008 sts4 a couple a days ago from a honda dealer in ohio.

the car runs great and is very smooth, but it has a check engine light on it. so yesterday i went to auto zone and had them read the code and it was a camshaft relay and something like a harmonic balancer relay.

any ideas as to what this might be?

thanks for any help

BlackedouT STS
03-24-11, 11:33 AM
If your car has a N* it's probably one of the 4 camshaft position sensors. Did the code say anything about bank 1 or bank 2?

Loren
03-24-11, 12:19 PM
My 08 had the same thing, on mine it was the camshaft end play. Here is the bulletin that tells about it. Lots of vehicles involved too, not just Cadillacs.
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=13762
I had mine done last October. When you call the dealer be sure to ask if they have the special tool that is required to do the work, mine didn't and they took all day to fix it.

Miller Time
03-24-11, 01:53 PM
dealer appt set up for monday

they said the timing chain recall had been done on my car in feb of 2011

i forgot to mention my 08 sts is the v6 awd

Miller Time
03-25-11, 10:24 PM
the engine light i keep getting is coming on for a while and then it disappears

man i really hope it is on when i go to the dealership on monday

and im not sure but i think this is having something to do with the automatic starting cause sometimes it works and sometimes it dont but when it dont work the lights just flash

chazglenn3
03-25-11, 11:32 PM
The remote start is disabled anytime the SES light is on.

dkozloski
03-26-11, 12:13 AM
Even if the CEL is off the trouble code will be in history so the tech will see it.

Miller Time
03-28-11, 10:12 AM
so i dropped the car off this morning at my local caddy dealership, and i told them that i had talked to the dealer where the car had last been serviced and they. the dealer where the car came from said they had recently reset the ecm to help the timing of the car, they then told me if that didnt help that the next step was to replace the timing chain due to it being stretched. they said this was a common problem with my car. but the local dealership said they had never heard of this problem and said they would look it over and see what they could find.

i hope the problem was stored in the history cause the light wasnt on when i dropped it off

Miller Time
03-28-11, 04:36 PM
just got off phone with dealer and he said that they would be replacing a camshaft and timing chain and that they had to pull the motor

said i should have it back by friday

EChas3
03-28-11, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you found a 'keeper' dealer for service. Even after the 'thinning' in 2009, it still can be hard to find a good, knowledgeable dealer.

Miller Time
03-28-11, 11:06 PM
Sounds like you found a 'keeper' dealer for service. Even after the 'thinning' in 2009, it still can be hard to find a good, knowledgeable dealer.

well it took some work, i had to make the dealership that the car was bought from originally and that had done all the service call my current dealership to tell them about the timing chain problem because they hadnt heard about the problem with them stretching out.

the original dealership talked like the timing chain problem was something that happened alot and they were surprised that my current dealership hadnt heard of the problem

i just hope they do a good job im kinda bummed sincei just bought this car last week!

Miller Time
04-04-11, 04:36 PM
well my 08sts has been in the shop for over a week!

they however did let me have an 11 cts for a rental

chazglenn3
04-04-11, 09:02 PM
Those new CTS's are nice...aren't they? I was drooling over a black on black 2011 CTS-V coupe when I was at the dealer getting my wiggly drivers seat fixed.

txbest1980
04-05-11, 12:40 PM
the original dealership talked like the timing chain problem was something that happened alot and they were surprised that my current dealership hadnt heard of the problem

assuming you have the 3.6L engine, then yes this is a very common problem with the timing chain. just do a search in the CTS section of this forum to see all the problems, along with a google search for all the other makes who use the same engine are having the same problems with a stretched timing chain.

Miller Time
04-06-11, 10:35 AM
Well got the car back yesterday and it seems to b doing great! before entering the shop when i was driving around 50mph and i would go down to passing gear the motor got alot louder than i think it shoulve but now it sounds much quiter

only problem is the automatic car starters are only working about half the time when they dont start the car they just make the lights flash?

Skibanker
04-12-11, 08:35 PM
the engine light i keep getting is coming on for a while and then it disappears

man i really hope it is on when i go to the dealership on monday

and im not sure but i think this is having something to do with the automatic starting cause sometimes it works and sometimes it dont but when it dont work the lights just flash

The remote start is disabled when the check engine light is on.