: Short Shifter Install : Request for help in Denver metro area.

PrelateBishop
03-24-11, 02:22 AM
Like the title suggests, I could use some assistance. I'm strongly considering the install of a short shifter, just a tad anxious that I'll irrevocably destroy something. Is there anyone available within striking distance of Denver that A.) likes free, cold beer and B.) is familiar with this install?

Thanks in advance.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-24-11, 05:32 AM
When you looking at doing the install? I did mine back when I still lived in Cali, but it was pretty easy and straightforward. Make sure to pick up the poly bushings as well.

PrelateBishop
03-24-11, 04:03 PM
When you looking at doing the install? I did mine back when I still lived in Cali, but it was pretty easy and straightforward. Make sure to pick up the poly bushings as well.

I don't really have a deadline, so my schedule is very flexible. My plan is to opt for PISNUOFF's custom shifter. The only hitch, if you will, is that I plan to uninstall the OEM shifter first, then ship it off to PISNUOFF for a quick turnaround as the wait right now for core returns seems to be rather lengthy.

That being said, I was thinking uninstall the first go around, then reinstall the following weekend.

AG'S-V
03-24-11, 05:23 PM
It's fairly simple to do...there's info in the FAQ and if you google this site for it.

apsitter
03-24-11, 05:47 PM
The install is very straight forward. I wouldn't worry too much about breaking anything. Just make sure you have someone to help you tighten the bolts you will use to replace the rivets you have to drill out. PISNUOFF provides really good clear instructions. I just recently did the same thing you're doing and I easily had my shifter back within a week. We're still getting snow here in MN, so I haven't gotten to really test it out yet, but it felt much better moving through the gears while I was sitting in the garage. Can't wait to test it out on the street!!

tweeter81
03-24-11, 06:13 PM
It's been so long since I did the install (with help), but I do know that you can do the entire install from the top (inside the car) and you don't have to remove the exhaust or the driveshaft. The only time you will need to be under the car is to have someone hold a wrench on the bottom of the nuts that you have to tighten at the end of the install.

JDB
03-24-11, 07:21 PM
It's been so long since I did the install (with help), but I do know that you can do the entire install from the top (inside the car) and you don't have to remove the exhaust or the driveshaft. The only time you will need to be under the car is to have someone hold a wrench on the bottom of the nuts that you have to tighten at the end of the install.

agreed. I recently installed a B&M shifter and there was no need to remove the exhaust or driveshaft -- just work around them.

everything is just bolt-off and -on, except drilling out the 2 rivets. center punch them, small drill bit first, then go bigger up to a 3/8".

enjoy. stocker sucks

PrelateBishop: I tried to send you a PM, but your box is full.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-24-11, 07:47 PM
What everyone else said. Do the install from the top. I should have my stock shifter around here somewhere...

PrelateBishop
03-25-11, 11:53 PM
Alright, alright...you guys make this seem easier than I was making it out to be. I believe I shall do this solo, but will sound the sirens if I run into trouble.

Thanks boys.

JDB
03-26-11, 01:44 PM
Alright, alright...you guys make this seem easier than I was making it out to be. I believe I shall do this solo, but will sound the sirens if I run into trouble.

Thanks boys.

you'll be fine. only needed a 2nd set of hands (wife was my help) when you go under the car to tighten the 2 bolts used in place of the rivets that you drilled out. drilling is really the only "hard" part.

I have my stock shifter, if you don't want down time. I can send it to him, if you want... maybe for the price of a set of UUC bushings??

PrelateBishop
03-26-11, 04:09 PM
you'll be fine. only needed a 2nd set of hands (wife was my help) when you go under the car to tighten the 2 bolts used in place of the rivets that you drilled out. drilling is really the only "hard" part.

I have my stock shifter, if you don't want down time. I can send it to him, if you want... maybe for the price of a set of UUC bushings??

PM sent.

mstrjon32
03-26-11, 07:28 PM
I installed the UUC shifter and bushings myself in a few hours. I spent a lot of time screwing around and bullshitting while at the shop. If I had focused I probably could have been done in under 90 minutes.