: Steel of a deal?

ewb4arch
03-23-11, 11:00 PM
I've got a lead on a 2001 STS for $2500. The down side is there is a ticking. The current owner who claims to be a shade tree mechanic is convinced its a bad bearing. His "engine guy" thinks it a lifter. I haven't seen much on engine bearings being bad. Is that problem likely? Any questions I should ask?

Reading up on the N*'s I'm thinking it might just be the carbon build up/lifter tick too and some WOT on the drive home might help and/or clear it up.

I don't know the mileage, but as claims new transmission and tires. He's a little far away, any great risk driving it 70 miles or so hpme, mostly expressway?

ThumperPup
03-23-11, 11:19 PM
Id have a Mechanic of your choise take a look before you buy
have him let you take it on a extrended test drive
wot it up and see if that tick and carbon go away

what could seem like a cheap easy fix could be a 5000 dollar repair
and in my apinion any ticking or bearing bad or anything to do with the engine being bad makes that car maybe 1500 tops and thats just because it drives period

Submariner409
03-23-11, 11:50 PM
Reading up on the N*'s I'm thinking it might just be the carbon build up/lifter tick too and some WOT on the drive home might help and/or clear it up.

The 2000+ Northstar has roller cam followers with static lash adjusters. Show this to your "mechanic".

$2500 is low for a 2001 STS in decent condition. You NEED some time with the car to get the big picture.

stoveguyy
03-24-11, 12:33 PM
how many miles on car? no body damage? no suspension codes? i looked at a 99 sts that needed headgaskets. owner wanted 500. he used some miracle sealer in a can and mechanic said it was fixed. but now it has a loud tick/knock. mechanic says it sounds like rod bearing. gonna tear the motor apart anyway but i do not want to redo the bearings and split case when i do headgaskets. but thats just me.

ThumperPup
03-24-11, 12:38 PM
how many miles on car? no body damage? no suspension codes? i looked at a 99 sts that needed headgaskets. owner wanted 500. he used some miracle sealer in a can and mechanic said it was fixed. but now it has a loud tick/knock. mechanic says it sounds like rod bearing. gonna tear the motor apart anyway but i do not want to redo the bearings and split case when i do headgaskets. but thats just me.

wow 500 someone who actauly realizes whats wrong with there seville and isnt trying to get 1500 for it still thats a teal evne for a paper weight i think
if there is not rust or dents and no other codes comming up i would go for that if it where near me

ewb4arch
03-25-11, 12:41 PM
Well I heard back from the seller. I think I'm going to get it even with the problems. It's got 118K miles on it. The guy he got it from really wanted to buy it back, but was unable to do so due to financial issues.

I'm close enough to Midwest Cadillac Repair in Palatine, I may take the car right there for diagnostic and repair. Maybe I'll call them later today.

He did say the ticking sometimes goes away briefly sometimes.

The real upshot is I have a lead on a spare 2001 engine/transmission, so even worst case I could swap it out. Might be fun for someone with limited knowledge. :-P

ThumperPup
03-25-11, 12:44 PM
i wish you good luck with this
but if the engine has a issue 2500 is to much might want to take it over there to have joe look at it before you buy it

stoveguyy
03-25-11, 02:53 PM
doing headgaskets is bad enough. if you tear down the guts to check the crank now you need new bearings. at least new rod bearings. could reuse main bearings but thats your call. than you need to do a halfcase reseal. maybe a new main seal. hope your mechanic is familiar with caddy motors.

ewb4arch
03-25-11, 03:11 PM
Ok ok! I'll pass on this one. I called Joe in Palatine about it. He's a little far for me to take it to, but his WAG on repair cost is a little more than I should spend. Got to take the emotion out of it. I'm just sick of driving my 1994 Plymouth Sundance Duster, green with a white hood, leaking oil and loosing coolant. pretty sure a head gasket issue, how ironic.

jeffrsmith
03-25-11, 03:53 PM
A head gasket on that Duster would be a whole lot easier and cheaper than a head gasket on a N*

ThumperPup
03-26-11, 12:18 AM
if you look around you can find a N that only needs a HG probably for around 1000 or under
might even find it for 750 or 500 if the person does not think they have a gold mine and think its still worth it with a bad engine
then you can take that 2000 you would have spent on the hg put it on the HG and still be under what you would have spent on this one by a 1000 i bet

ponyboyt
03-26-11, 06:25 AM
Paid 800 for my 99 with 158,000 kilometers on it, Jake did the engine. Car was otherwise almost perfect, except some defects in the body (was from Toronto). Replacing the bumper covers when the snow pisses off.

Paid 1100 for my 98 with 120,000 kilometers with no KEYS.... engine had 25,000 on it.... that car is another story that can be found elswhere in this forum.

Bought 2 black on black 97s with 200,000 km on each. Both HG gone. One is gorgeous, never seen winter, and otherwise mechanicly very good and well kept. other is ok. Paid less than 500 for the pair.

Just bought an 02 with 90,000 km's for 600.

My first cadillac, my pearl 97, was purchased for $1000. Signs of blown headgasket, i drove it 30,000 km's before it finaly quit. Bought it with 260,000, engine was replaced with another scrap car and it lasted til 360,000 when the trans finaly went. I can still drive around town with that one, but it likes to lose 3rd/4th gear. The donor engine runs like a dream, doesnt use a drop of coolant, and i never topped up the oil between changes. It was usualy time to change it anyway when the oil level indicator came on...

These cars are everywhere.

ThumperPup
03-26-11, 11:11 AM
wow who has more N's you are jake ?

stoveguyy
03-26-11, 12:17 PM
an 02 seville with 90km for 600? that is a great deal. got any pics of that?

tigers2007
03-26-11, 04:17 PM
There are definitely "steels" (sic) out there. Check this (http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2286882552.html) out. It 97 ETC which appears to be in good condition (but overheats) asking $1500. I bet you can offer $1100 or 1200 and steal it. Put about a grand into it with Jake's studs and you're back in business.

97EldoCoupe
03-26-11, 05:44 PM
Beautiful ETC. How's the '99 doing Tigers?

ponyboyt
03-26-11, 07:00 PM
there was a 97 ETC up here a while back that had recent timesert repair done, it went for 500, was advertised with "car wont go out of 2nd gear". I missed that one by a day.....

tigers2007
03-27-11, 12:18 AM
Beautiful ETC. How's the '99 doing Tigers?

I love it! I've been driving it non-stop (weather permitting--won't drive it when its snowy-salty out). Runs perfect. I just can't believe how fast it accelerates when passing ;)

ThumperPup
03-27-11, 03:51 AM
There are definitely "steels" (sic) out there. Check this (http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2286882552.html) out. It 97 ETC which appears to be in good condition (but overheats) asking $1500. I bet you can offer $1100 or 1200 and steal it. Put about a grand into it with Jake's studs and you're back in business.

wow ok if i saw this erier this afternoon i mean the posting i would have called up and stopped in to check it out myself
i was just up that way today

vincentm
03-28-11, 04:32 PM

Would like to see what a good wash, clay and polymer wax would bring out in it.